Christ and prayer question

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
doug

Christ and prayer question

Post by doug » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Can any of you recall whetherTolle has commented on prayer as Christ practiced and taught according to the New Testament?

As a follow up I would also like to know if any of you have found a place for prayer in your daily life?

thanks!
doug

mistral

Re: Christ and prayer question

Post by mistral » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

With Love ...Merry Angel

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Sitting in/as quiet is my prayer. I sit with gratitude and through out the day as I sense the quiet many many times there is great reverence for What Is.
Monica
Last edited by Juno on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Can any of you recall whetherTolle has commented on prayer as Christ practiced and taught according to the New Testament?
I haven't heard him talk about it, but then my exposure to what ET has said is quite limited.
As a follow up I would also like to know if any of you have found a place for prayer in your daily life?
It was the Christian approach to prayer that got me to see its limitations because every time I "prayed" it automatically created a sense of separation - there was "me" praying to "God", and some how it no longer felt right to me. It wasn't long after that that I left religion entirely, and shortly after that I came across ET. I could then see that any need or desire to "pray" was only a function of the mind and its imagined sense of separation.

The interesting thing about it, however, is that what was discovered matches what is described by certain Christian mystics as "contemplative prayer". Perhaps the most noted teacher of this today is Father Thomas Keating, and through his and a few others' work contemplative prayer is being revived.

Ironically, many of today's religious "authorities", especially those from the religious right/fundamentalism view this as dangerous "new age" stuff, which is really quite laughable. It is understandable that established religions and those who wield some kind of "religious authority" based on ideas aligned with established "Biblical teachings" would feel threatened because if people "woke" up there would no longer be a need for them. Mainstream religion is so heavily entrenched in dualism that any of its nondual underpinnings is largely unnoticed, or is glossed over in order preserve the status quo.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:01 pm

doug wrote:Can any of you recall whetherTolle has commented on prayer as Christ practiced and taught according to the New Testament?

thanks!
doug
Hi Doug,
On your second question I like what Thomas Merton says about prayer.
Thomas Merton was a great writer, a trappist monk and Zen
Peace
Randji

It's a risky thing to pray and the danger is that our very prayers get between God and us. The great thing in prayer is not to pray, but to go directly to God.... at the very root of your existence, you are inconstant and immediate contact with the infinite power of God.

So I do pray in this way and find it very helpful as the key is to see no seperation.
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks Randji for posting that. That is the way I feel about prayer too.

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Here is what a nondual teacher emailed to me:

The feeling of having a direct relationship with Awareness is what you want to savor, feel around in, become familiar and comfortable with. Spend as much time there as you can; it is the great solvent that will wash away confusion and conflict.

By becoming bathed in that Awareness, when thoughts, sensations, emotions, etc. arise later, you will recognize that you are not those thoughts, sensations and emotions, but are actually that Awareness.

Feel the difference between how Awareness feels and how your typical state of mind feels; feel them the way you taste ice cream or hear notes of music. Which is stronger, clearer, more nourishing, more real?

Keep feeling for what it is that is having that direct relationship with Awareness; where or what is it that is different from Awareness?

To me this is prayer. To be in communication with the Awareness that is within me. So, when I have a question for Awareness or a request, I go inside and bathe in that Awareness until I feel a connection, or an answer. In time I hope to feel this connection at all times then every thought, feeling will be a prayer.
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Juno wrote:Thanks Randji for posting that. That is the way I feel about prayer too.

Monica
de nada :)
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

mistral

Post by mistral » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Sometimes a big Thank You Dear Father of Life, Thank you God...when in the midst of chaos and fear this can be the most remarkable prayer..

Merry Angel Mistral

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Here is what Kim Eng has said on prayer - from her Oprah blog:
Yes, of course, there is a role for prayer in Eckhart's teaching. However, it may not be prayer in the "usual" meaning of the word as understood in most religions. For example, many years ago, I was a member of a Christian church; I had learned to pray for all my needs, money, family, relationship, health, etc. I had learned to pray with the intention of asking for "something to be given to me." It wasn't until I had my own direct experience of the omnipresence of God, stillness, that I realized this was not the deepest meaning of prayer. True prayer is communion and communication with the divine, a deep inner connection to stillness. True prayer is your inner purpose. This, I believe, is the meaning of the Bible words, "to pray without ceasing". I understood Jesus' words: "The kingdom of God does not come with signs to be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,' or ‘There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:21), and "...do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes...your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." (Luke 12:22 to 31). And so, my need for prayer, in the conventional sense, ceased and was replaced with an undivided sensing, communing, connecting with the divine essence within.
Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Dear Ranji - you were saying: 'It's a risky thing to pray...'

I couldn’t agree more, but when some of our conditions and relationships are in need of healing and we feel that they are too difficult for us to cope with on our own, for me, asking the Universe for its help is always the best way of handling any situation, not merely the problematic ones. But it cannot be pointed out too many times that help cannot come to us, unless we request it – so, please do yourself the favour and ask! Even if it is not your style or normal way to go down on your knees, if you simply stretch out both hands, palms upwards, towards the Universe and quietly say: ‘Please, help me!’ Miracles have been known to happen in this manner, too. The Universe loves us; it is kind and merciful and does not want anyone to suffer unnecessarily.

Be careful what you ask for and be aware that thought is the most powerful force in the whole of Creation. As sparks of the Divine, we are creative beings and co-creators with God. Everybody creates their own reality with the help of their thoughts. That is why I would rather concentrate mine on the desired outcome of something rather than that which I do not wish to attract into my life. By focusing on negative options we are likely to create unwanted scenarios for ourselves which, with a degree of awareness of what is at stake, can quite easily be avoided.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Christ without Christianity is wonderful! And I do think Tolle is very close to the teachings of Christ. I love the quote from Thomas Merton. As I have said previously , it appears all these great spiritualist are, at base, the same.

aquarius123esoteric

By Definition we are all Christians!

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Because God created us perfect, all souls carry the seed of perfection within, and every soul has always possessed a deep inner knowledge of that which is good and right. Perfection is wholeness, and to become whole again is every soul’s birthright. To achieve this, the only thing we have to do is take possession of the best, the highest and holiest from the deepest innermost core of our own being and bring it forth, to be manifested in our world. Our God or Highest Self has never left us; through all our adventures in the course of many lifetimes, including those on the Earth plane, it has faithfully accompanied and supported us.

That is why when we suffer, God suffers with us; and when we rejoice, God does the same. It has always tried to guide us into right thought, word and action, towards ourselves and each other. Giving expression to and experiencing the goodness we, with Its help, are capable of producing in all our contacts and in everyday life. The life of the Master Jesus, as documented by the Bible, was a demonstration of how every soul one day has to walk and the issues each one of us must eventually face and resolve.

There are as many names for the Great Light and its offspring, the tiny spark of Divinity in every human heart and soul, as there are religions and philosophies in our world; to Christianity it is known as the Christ spirit. For simplicity’s sake, this is the name I am using throughout my writings. In view of the above, are we not all by definition Christians? The true Kingdom of God is in every heart and soul, irrespective of how far we have thus far got on our evolutionary pathway. And it does not matter one iota which faith any soul has followed in any of its lifetimes or whether during its present one it ever set foot inside any place of worship or not.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 am

Sighclone wrote:Here is what Kim Eng has said on prayer - from her Oprah blog:
Yes, of course, there is a role for prayer in Eckhart's teaching. However, it may not be prayer in the "usual" meaning of the word as understood in most religions. For example, many years ago, I was a member of a Christian church; I had learned to pray for all my needs, money, family, relationship, health, etc. I had learned to pray with the intention of asking for "something to be given to me." It wasn't until I had my own direct experience of the omnipresence of God, stillness, that I realized this was not the deepest meaning of prayer. True prayer is communion and communication with the divine, a deep inner connection to stillness. True prayer is your inner purpose. This, I believe, is the meaning of the Bible words, "to pray without ceasing". I understood Jesus' words: "The kingdom of God does not come with signs to be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,' or ‘There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:21), and "...do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes...your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." (Luke 12:22 to 31). And so, my need for prayer, in the conventional sense, ceased and was replaced with an undivided sensing, communing, connecting with the divine essence within.
The difficulty with prayer is that it generally assumes identity lies in time and form, i.e. in an entity thought to be praying. True prayer is when 'you' are not there praying. There is a spontaneous shift from identification with the conditioned mind to the unconditioned. Once this radical shift occurs, moments of apparent separation may arise but on a deeper level there is communion occurring. Therefore one understands what is meant by the saying "be still and know that I am. "

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:00 pm

The difficulty with prayer is that it generally assumes identity lies in time and form, i.e. in an entity thought to be praying. True prayer is when 'you' are not there praying. There is a spontaneous shift from identification with the conditioned mind to the unconditioned. Once this radical shift occurs, moments of apparent separation may arise but on a deeper level there is communion occurring. Therefore one understands what is meant by the saying "be still and know that I am. "
Wow. That was simply beautiful.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---