Vegetarian

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Vegetarian. Eckhart is not vegetarian

Postby Ajuliagulia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 am

According to my sister who saw him eating at a restaurant and this Huffington Post article, Eckhart Tolle is not a vegetarian:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/olivia-ro ... 44106.html

This body / mind is a vegetarian but I don't feel judgmental about those who choose to eat meat. I personally gained over 50 pounds upon going vegetarian (probably due to the fact that I was substituting protein for carbs). But I don't think I could go back to eating meat. My belief system suggests that the only difference between eating someone's dog and eating someone's chicken is that we feel more bonded with dogs than we do chickens. They probably taste differently too.

If Eckhart is indeed eating meat (I've never personally witnessed it), I only hope that he limits his meat consumption to animals that were farmed humanely. if he ever chooses to eat meat regardless of how it was raised, I hope he learns to brings some of his awareness to the fact that he is indirectly supporting the inhumane and cruel methods used in factory farming.
Ajuliagulia
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 am

Re: Vegetarian. Eckhart is not vegetarian

Postby karmarider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 am

Ajuliagulia wrote:... Eckhart Tolle is not a vegetarian...


He probably doesn't recycle either, hehe!

I'm mostly a vegetarian, because I don't like the way animals are treated in factory farms, or the chemicals they pour into the animals; but then vegans would say I don't go far enough, because the treatment of dairy animals and caged egglaying chickens is worse, and they would be right.

One is not more spiritual than the other. Spirituality is a matter of alignment.
karmarider
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Vegetarian. Eckhart is not vegetarian

Postby leoevon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 am

If Eckhart is indeed eating meat (I've never personally witnessed it), I only hope that he limits his meat consumption to animals that were farmed humanely.


Ajulia, Eckhart is indeed aware of factory farms and the cruelty behind them as he mentions it in his book "A New Earth" page. 11;

"Another aspect of the collective dysfunction of the human mind is the unprecedented violence that humans are inflicting on other life-forms and the planet itself--the destruction of oxygen-producing forests and other plant and animal life; ill-treatment of animals in factory farms; and poisoning of rivers, oceans, and air. Driven by greed, ignorant of their connectedness to the whole, humans persist in behavior that, if continued unchecked, can only result in their own destruction."

As to wether or not he's vegitarian, I wondered the same thing but after looking at this forum, I realized it doesnt matter. The mind is just trying to find another way to judge and make wrong. As a matter of fact, from the few years of studying Eckharts teachings, I get the impression he avoids forums because they are an ideal spot for ego to manifest considering it involves the mind in conversation (and boy does the mind like to talk!), rather than just being.

It occured to me, "Why do I need to know this?" Is it my ego that wants to know? and what for? So I can judge and make wrong or get upset or happy if he is or is not?
leoevon
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 am

Re: Vegetarian

Postby shimizu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Eckhart Tolle about food what to eat on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AuNfkzH9yU
shimizu
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby azooo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:52 am

I remember hearing Kim Eng saying something along the lines "I eat mainly vegan food while Eckhart eats mostly everything"
azooo
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Marcell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 pm

I was vegan for years, I thought that this was the way to go, Im not sure anymore. I eat meat now, organic stuff. I still dont know what to eat. I know its cruel - I think Lions are cruel, and all other animals that eat animals - I think it is cruel... Really I could cry when a Lion attacks some Gnu or whatever. Then again, Its nature. But - Mass production aint nature - its torture - i buy meat sometimes from small farms now. I still dont know what to do. I dont think humans are big meat eaters but I eat a bit of meat now and then, mostly when it is almost beyond that date and 30 % off.
Marcell
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby coriolis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:37 pm

I gave up eating meat for about 6 months once.
It seemed like a good idea in the beginning but an idea that turns into actual experience can often bear no resemblance to it's original state as an "idea".
So it was with veganism for me.

It doesn't even make intellectual sense to me any more.
Everything is food for everything else -- whether plant or animal -- and some plants even eat " fresh meat" (and all of them eat it after it has been broken down further by microbes and bacteria).
That is the fact, however abhorrent or distasteful it may be to certain viewpoints of the human mind.

Raising animals under, cramped, filthy, and deprived conditions for the sake of their eggs, milk, or bodies as meat, however, I do not approve of.

I also agree that if you would not slaughter and clean an animal yourself that you are a hypocrite for consuming meat that has had what for you would be the "dirty work" done by others just so you will not see the reality of it.
We should eat meat with the full knowing that we are now, on a microscopic scale, and shall be wholly "meat" for other living things to consume, plant and animal.
There is no escaping it as it is part of the cycle of life.

The human mind tends to pervert natural cycles.
On one end of the spectrum you have the perversion of factory farms that treat our fellow creatures as no more than economic commodities.
On the other end of the spectrum you have the perversion of seeing certain forms of life as inviolably sacred and untouchable (primarily that which can be construed as "cute") while other life forms that have chlorophyll rather than hemoglobin in their blood are perfectly fair game for consumption.
Both stray from the what is obviously true if personal and cultural notions are shelved prior to looking.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin
User avatar
coriolis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Psychoslice » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 am

We have to be careful not to put Tolle up on a pedestal, like they did with Christ, the Buddha and so on. What Tolle's mind body does has nothing to do with you or me, its what's beyond the mind body that we need to focus on, this is what Tolle points to in all he say's.
User avatar
Psychoslice
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Onceler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Psychoslice wrote:We have to be careful not to put Tolle up on a pedestal, like they did with Christ, the Buddha and so on. What Tolle's mind body does has nothing to do with you or me, its what's beyond the mind body that we need to focus on, this is what Tolle points to in all he say's.


Good reminder, psychoslice. We need to develop self reliance and attunement to what our own bodies need.
Be present, be pleasant.
User avatar
Onceler
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Fore » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:08 pm

coriolis wrote: The human mind tends to pervert natural cycles.


So would you say it is fair game to eat human flesh, and if not why?
User avatar
Fore
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Psychoslice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:03 am

Fore wrote:
coriolis wrote: The human mind tends to pervert natural cycles.


So would you say it is fair game to eat human flesh, and if not why?


If I tried to eat you, how would you feel ?, would you be happy ?, well, because we as humans we can make this choice, if you don't want to be eaten, then why eat someone else, this is called love.
User avatar
Psychoslice
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Psychoslice wrote:
If I tried to eat you, how would you feel ?, would you be happy ?, well, because we as humans we can make this choice, if you don't want to be eaten, then why eat someone else, this is called love.


What about road kill human? When I'm dead I 'm sure I would not mind. Or are you suggesting that only humans value their lives?
User avatar
Fore
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby coriolis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:25 pm

Fore wrote:So would you say it is fair game to eat human flesh, and if not why?


If you remove cultural conditioning a dead body is a dead body no matter what species it belongs to.
Because of all the social problems that would arise as a result of eating dead human flesh I would not do it.
But there are other cultures that do not hold that dead human bodies are more sacred that dead animal bodies.

Psychoslice wrote:If I tried to eat you, how would you feel ?, would you be happy ?, well, because we as humans we can make this choice, if you don't want to be eaten, then why eat someone else, this is called love.


Well, if you tried to eat me while alive, you'd meet with some pretty stiff resistance.
However, if you decided you wanted to eat the dead body left behind by what was once called me I'd have nothing to say about it all --- enjoy lunch on me!
I wouldn't broadcast the fact you did in western European styled societies though.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin
User avatar
coriolis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 pm

coriolis wrote: If you remove cultural conditioning a dead body is a dead body no matter what species it belongs to.


Do you think eating the meat of an angry human has a different effect than say eating a happy human?
User avatar
Fore
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Re: Vegetarian

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:16 am

If more people actually understood the human body and the GI tract, then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Your GI tract has billions and billions and billions of bacteria and yeast which live and die every day. 70-80 percent of your immune system is located directly in the GI tract. There is a CONSTANT cycle of life and death taking place in the ecosystem of the GI tract. By eating certain foods that contain antibiotics/hormones/sugar and other processed foods, you're destroying the healthy bacteria that live in your GI tract. Point being....that people agonize foolishly over whether they should eat meat because it's 'unethical', but continue to eat poor foods which are....essentially destroying life in their very own bodies, but they fail to realize this!

Human beings are omnivorous. This means, we can eat either meat or plant based OR both. BUT, since everyone's body is bio-chemically unique, one person might do better on a diet full of higher protein such as meat while another might do better on a higher carb diet. Therefore, there IS no one size fits all diet.

But, eating for nutritional health purposes should be your primary goal as opposed to worrying about killing other animals. Ultimately, animal products contain incredibly vital fat soluble vitamins that the body needs include vitamin A an D, not to mention the all important B-Vitamins. There are very few other sources to attain this, other than animal products including butter, milk, and bone broth. But, that doesn't mean you can't go vegan. It just means that you have to look out for what's right for your particular body. I've known far too many people have gone vegan for ethical purposed only to create incredible nutritional deficiencies within their bodies unknowingly.

If you choose to be vegan or vegetarian and you feel good doing it, then by all means....keep at it. But, doing it for strictly ethical reasons is as counter productive a thing you can possibly do for your body in my opinion.
Enlightened2B
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: New York

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest