Hard Work?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Sun May 28, 2006 6:09 am

JedEye wrote:Viv resistance to what?
Resistance to what is keeps us from conscious awareness of Being by creating mind activity, pain, and illusion. :)

Acceptance is one of ET's portals to presence.

JedEye

Post by JedEye » Sun May 28, 2006 4:12 pm

That`s right.
The state of conciousness that I am in right now - I can`t choose to accept because it would only be adding more resistance to resistance. And changing what is.
Somewhere ET wrote: don`t try to get rid of resistance, be true to yourself that there is resistance and you want to get rid of it. Just watch it.
This is awareness too.
When there is resistance it is still now. It doesn`t change much. It is possible to choose being with it.
Viva la resistance! :lol:
no more words

Chelsy

Post by Chelsy » Sun May 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I can`t choose to accept because it would only be adding more resistance to resistance.
When we accept resistance, it does not add more resistance to resistance.

It dissolves the resistance.

If what is- is resistance then that is what we accept.

Resistance is "No" to what is- it is pain body. We say Yes to this "no", and watch it, and drop the story. It now becomes a sensation in our body- an ache, a pressure etc. And we allow this. Give it attention. Give it space. The trapped energy becomes free this way. The pain dissolves. Consciousness becomes free. We become free this way.

This is from the Power of Now teaching.

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:14 pm

Originally posted by Viv
Does anyone else find it hard work? Watching? BEING the watcher? Being vigilant?
1. when you just got a promotion at work, your mind may filled with many happy thoughts, at this time, if you step back and keep a distance with your thinking (watch your mind), you do not feel it is hardwork, you just feel emotion go from excitement to peace. So you can practice watching the mind in these "good" situations as often as you want.

2. when in bad time, when your mind is filled with compulsive anger, pain etc, watching it does feel difficult. This is probably what ET has said (or would have said).
In very difficult (challenging) time, you need to watch it with high intensity, high intensity watching means total attention, total attention is total surrender, when you surrender it is difficult, after you surrender it is EASY. The "hardwork, hard feeling" is not due to watching, it is due to not watching or watching with a too low level intensity that failed to turn off the mind.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:01 am

It's a funny one this.

For a while I tried to set up a part of my mind to watch my mind. Talk about poacher turned gamekeeper.

So there it sat, the watcher part of my mind, in it's watchtower scouting out for anything that moved and commentating endlessly about it's role as the new found guardian of the peace.

This was a silly period of my life.

These days I have found (personally speaking, of course) thatawareness of the mind is a much more natural point to be the watcher. It isn't as if I have to do very much. Just simply be aware...'oh, there is my mind', that's all.

This basic, simple awareness of 'this is mind' is a subtle thing, a gentle thing but I have found it to be a wonderful help. And I don't need to carve up my mind into observer and observed any more. Saved myself a fortune on headache pills as well.

Oh! Why aren't there any aspirins in the jungle?

cos the paracetemol!

geddit? geddit?!!!!
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:59 pm

Larryfroot

That was so beautifully put. Often, some may think that the watching is a watching using the mind. However, our watching comes from dwelling in Presence. When we are watching we are in the Now, not in the mind. It is our true essence that is watching.

weichen

Post by weichen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Originally posted by Shaz
our watching comes from dwelling in Present......It is our true essence that is watching
Thank you Shaz for sum this up for us!