live your own life !

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
void

live your own life !

Post by void » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Millions of buddhists the world over are immitating the buddha, tryng to copy everything he did and said, and although these people appar to be selfless, and desireless they are still after something. The man who became the buddha was confused for years, full of conflict,desires, wrong notions, i believed hestarved himself , nearly to death, underwent harsh discipines,,, all really to no avail... then one day he gives up! sits under a tree, and the rest is history....where buddhists make the mistake is immitating buddha post enlightenmet.... buddha was as confused as any of us before he got zapped, and existence, the creator, or whatever it is, changed him....maybe because he tried everything, and none of it really worked he was pretty close to the truth.
I see a similar phenomenon with eckhart tolle followers,,, amonst others. Many people think that if they imitate eckharts words, and wisdom ,they too will get what hes got... nope! you have o live your own life! from what i read about tolle he was depressed andthinking of ending it all.. was disillusioned with his profession etc... enlightened happened to him in spite of what he did, not because of it... the universe didnt judge him unworthy because of his depressin or anything else....he had to live his life, and look what happened! It would be refreshing to hear people on this site speak in their own words, from their own truth. And another thing whilst im at it... will you all stop splitting hairs! I post something saying " i think this.." and loads of you reply with stuff like" i dont think , i AM! or youll probably say none of this is happening and i just "think" all this stuff is true. I know pretty well that all this is an illusion at one level,,, but for the sake of getting on with each other, and not spitting hairs all the time i think we could just answer in plain english. Will you cleverly say "its all an illusion when a loved one is dying in hospital? or ou cut your finger off in an accident? I dont think so ...well its out of character for me ,but im all out of words,... hope you dont all think im a prat but i just gotta say what i see....and whatever your reaction is its all cool with me,,,,....
j.gibirdi

Webwanderer

Re: live your own life !

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:25 am

A fair point void.

But please be patient with those of us still "trying" to get it. It seems that Tolle's pointers touch something real within that the mind does not understand, yet it is compelled to try.

WW

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:24 am

void wrote: ... Will you cleverly say "its all an illusion when a loved one is dying in hospital? or ou cut your finger off in an accident? I dont think so ...well its out of character for me ,but im all out of words,... hope you dont all think im a prat but i just gotta say what i see....and whatever your reaction is its all cool with me,,,,....
Inner honesty is the foundation of true learning.

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 am

Incidentally, Living one's own life and imitating others are not mutually exclusive.

void

Post by void » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:04 pm

thanks for the replies people... your comments are appreciated. Whatever i write is just what comes at that moment, and hope it doesnt come across that im trying to tell others what to do... or putting others down... i am as guilty as anyone for immitating and looking for truth(sometimes in all the wrong places.)
j.gibirdi

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Enlightment is only a construct of the mind, it needs past and future to be defined and has therefore no solid foundation.
Therefore chasing englightment is like trying to catch soap bubbles.

As there is only the present moment, there is only a thought in the moment. Realizing that we can choose to believe it or not, to enlighten us concerning this special thought or not. If we don't attach to the thought or question it, we enlighten ourself concerning this thought. Therefore there can only be enlightment this very moment or suffering. Everything else is a story. Thats at least my experience so far.

P.S.
I have sitting the last two minutes staring at this post, deciding whether to post it or not. I have not a clue at all what enlightment really is, what it feels like and how it would be to be "enlightened." Thats why it seems to me very bold to give my opinion about it and even more to say its just another story. But I do it anyway, summarizing my experience with the spiritual stuff so far. After all my opinion cant be more than relatively wrong. :)

stefan
Who am I without my story?

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 am

Are you saying something like don't look at the finger pointing to the moon?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 am

stefan -

Fear not about speaking about enlightenment from whatever level of awareness you have! No one ever knows what words will be pointers for whom. Thanks also for your modesty and humor.

We always only speak the truth we know. Sure, we can copy great words others have said...if we do that to "sound cool" that is of course sadly egoic. But even then, there may be value for someone. We all advance the ball inch by inch.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

void

Post by void » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:04 pm

yes... in the words of bruce lee."dont concentrate on the finger or you miss al lthat heavenly glory" !
j.gibirdi