Space Consciousness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
gdvant

Space Consciousness

Post by gdvant » Tue May 19, 2009 3:40 am

observational notes...
With object consciousness, in perceiving separate objects, you are experientially an isolated center.
With space consciousness, in perceiving spaciousness, you are experientially that spaciousness.

Object consciousness is the conditioned view, a view we have learned and inherited.
Space consciousness is the view that arises naturally as the conditioned view subsides.

As long as we are inwardly separate, there must be conflict.
Space consciousness is an ending of psychological conflict.

gdvant

Re: Space Consciousness

Post by gdvant » Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 am

Tolle--
"...I see the emergence of space consciousness as the next stage in the evolution of humanity. By space consciousness I mean that in addition to our being fully conscious of things—that is to say of sense perceptions, thoughts, emotions, and whatever happens in our lives—there is at the same time an undercurrent of awareness or Presence operating in us. Awareness implies that we are not only conscious of things, such as the objects and the people around us, but we are also conscious at the same time of being conscious. Conscious of the timeless I AM without which there would be no world.

We can sense an inner alert stillness in the background while things happen in the foreground. That is the unconditioned. That is true intelligence. If there is only object consciousness in our lives, we remain trapped in the conditioned, trapped in form, which creates an appearance of separation. We are always trying to change the form or are resisting it in some way. We are looking to the world of form for salvation. But when we are aware of space consciousness, aware of being aware, we are freed from identification with form, which is ego, and there arises within us a sense of oneness with the whole and with our Source."

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed May 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Great stuff - Thank you gdvant!

I'm just wondering if "aware of being aware" is nothing more than a word play.
Could we be "aware of being aware of being aware" and so on? Are we not just aware (from time to time)?

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Wed May 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Could we be "aware of being aware of being aware" and so on? Are we not just aware (from time to time)?
-
Even self-consciousness seems also to be from time to time. If one searches one's memory banks, one can only remember very few moments of powerful self-consciousness manifestation. Focused awareness seem to occupy very little of one's time, and most of time one seems to be preoccupied with something which one can not remember. Some people in the awakening business call this state: awakened sleep. They categorize four states:

1. Full Sleep
2. Awakened Sleep
3. Partial awakening
4. Full awakening

According to their understanding, people into awakening business are generally in the state of partial awakening, and majority of humanity is in awakened sleep. They generally design exercises which increase the focused awareness that one may have a few more memorable moments, or that one may be able to access the forgotten experiences stored in one's memory bank.

This is not much different from the theory of Now in essence. Being in Now more is to access All that Is more.

Awareness of self-consciousness for longer and longer periods during one's non-sleeping period is not a small accomplishment.

I am aware; therefore, I am.

I think; therefore, I am.

I understand; therefore, I am

I experience; therefore, I am

I am; therefore, I am

I am

I

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed May 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Glycine -

Interesting point. Eckhart and others suggest that "turning your attention to your awareness" is a meditative practice. I think it stops there. Kind of like a "reset" button - just keep pressing it.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 pm

I can not help putting the word play here:

I am aware I think I understand I experience I am I am I.

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Tony-S-Ma wrote: Awareness of self-consciousness for longer and longer periods during one's non-sleeping period is not a small accomplishment.
The above quote strongly suggests that "awareness of I am" is a brain function. It is a big accomplishment, indeed, but it may not be the real self.
It could be that the real self is that which is the same in deep sleep and awakened state!

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Wed May 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Great stuff - Thank you gdvant!

That expression is an attempt to point to something that can not be understoood by the conditioned mind. It is similar to my earlier post in which I said that in perceiving spaciousness, you are experientially that spaciousness. That seems illogical because to perceive something ordinarily implies you are separate from it.

Object consciousness means there is an apparent division between subject in here and objects out there. But space consciousness involves a dimension that is without division between here and there or between inside and outside. Or to put it differently, this dimension of spaciousness is unlimited. It is not inside or outside anything. Thought can invent or project limited space but space consciousness is not of thought.

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Glycine -

Interesting point. Eckhart and others suggest that "turning your attention to your awareness" is a meditative practice. I think it stops there. Kind of like a "reset" button - just keep pressing it.

Andy
What does it mean to turn attention to awareness? It is like Tolle's question, is there silence now? To find out what do you do? You stop thinking and listen and discover, yes there is. The unconditioned is there but it is not found through a linear movement of the conditioned mind.

Similarly, we can ask is there awareness now? To find out, the conditioned mind becomes very quiet because there is insight that awareness is not of thought. So to say "turn your attention to awareness" points to the same thing as saying "be still and know."

I agree with Tolle that meditative practice only seems like it is something that you are choosing to do. Actually, the unconditioned is already emerging and that light and energy brings a response of greater openness and stillness. The feeling truly is: thy yoke is easy, and thy burden is light.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 am

95% of what ET writes is for beginners. This is not to say that he is a novice. Not at all. His primary skill lies in his ability to write compellingly for readers who are new to all of this, while staying Present. His constant emphasis on "the present moment" and long discussions about the"pain-body" also add to his uniqueness. More subtle and challenging statements like "you are the present moment" (Oprah radio show, October, 2007) and the depth of Stillness Speaks are clear evidence of his wisdom.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 am

95% of what ET writes is for beginners. This is not to say that he is a novice. Not at all. His primary skill lies in his ability to write compellingly for readers who are new to all of this, while staying Present. His constant emphasis on "the present moment" and long discussions about the"pain-body" also add to his uniqueness. More subtle and challenging statements like "you are the present moment" (Oprah radio show, October, 2007) and the depth of Stillness Speaks are clear evidence of his wisdom
Tolle uses pointings of many other teachers, e.g. Nisargadatta, Ramana, and especially Krishnamurti. Tolle's talent imo is that he is able to see and articulate how the various teachings and the great religions have the same truth at their core. His insight is evidenced by the fact that he can penetrate the cultural and interpretative biases and then convey the essence of each in comprehensible contemporary terminology. That is fine as I see it because any words used are at best pointers to what is beyond thought.

I appreciate the fact he speaks more of space consciousness which is useful where a shift in consciousness is an actuality. JK unfortunately often stopped short of discussing the dimension of vast space because he said he didn't want to promote image-making. So he also spoke mainly for the uninitiated. Tibetan Dzogchen teachings make the connection between what they call the view, the sky-like mind and Rigpa that parallels what ET calls space consciousness.

=============

Rigpa is a Tibetan word, which in general means ‘intelligence’ or ‘awareness’. In Dzogchen, however, the highest teachings in the Buddhist tradition of Tibet, rigpa has a deeper connotation, ‘the innermost nature of the mind’. The whole of the teaching of Buddha is directed towards realizing this, our ultimate nature, the state of omniscience or enlightenment – a truth so universal, so primordial that it goes beyond all limits, and beyond even religion itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 am

"Where exactly is our buddha nature?
It is in the sky-like nature of our mind.
Utterly open, free and limitless, it is so
simple and so natural that it can never
become complicated, corrupted, or
stained, so pure that it is beyond even
the concept of purity and impurity.

To talk of mind as sky-like is of course
only a metaphor...of its all-embracing
boundlessness; for the buddha nature
has a quality the sky cannot have, that
of the radiant clarity of awareness."

Sogyal Rinpoche

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 am

Form is formlessness, and formlessness is form.

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Form is formlessness, and formlessness is form
Yes, and only now; never at the end of a process of becoming.
So what is it to be trapped in form or in time? It is like going
through life wearing thought-derived blinders.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm

WOD:
>>Form is formlessness, and formlessness is form

Gdvant:
> Yes, and only now; never at the end of a process of becoming.

Sorry, but what is "the end of a process of becoming" ?
What do you mean ?

Greetings,
MF.
---ooOoo---