Oneness???

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
traveler

Oneness???

Post by traveler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Now, when i look at a tree or an animal i don't feel any oneness. what is it that's this deeper connection between me and "something other." I have eaten psychedelic mushrooms about 10 times, and most times i feel this inner connection to EVERYTHING. i can see my own reflection within everything i lay my eyes upon. its COMPLETELY INDESCRIBABLE, and I'm 500% convinced that i'm enlightened and that i am LITERALLY Buddha at THAT moment. But now, i just can't feel that inner oneness. even when i look around me presently, without any thoughts, i dont feel the oneness, though i do feel bliss. how can i get connected to this inner oneness naturally? And how do we know if this oneness is REAL? If a drug like psychedelic mushrooms can induce this oneness, then couldn't it just be something that arises from the MIND?

kiki

Re: Oneness???

Post by kiki » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am

Think about "oneness" in a different way.

The kind of oneness you experienced and wish to recapture is an experience only, what I would call a mystical experience. All experience whether mystical or not comes and goes, and is dependent upon certain factors of the finite world. It's hard to say exactly why that kind of experience you want would happen (aside from mushrooms, drugs), but regardless of why there is the fact that it happens within the perceptual field. They are modifications of mental activity.

What you are, however, does not come and go; it is present always, and because of that it is the only thing that is "real" - awareness. And awareness is not a perception or a mental activity. Consciousness/You is one, is nondual - what you are cannot be anything other than nondual. Everything else is time bound and appears in dualistic ways, and that is why it comes and goes and appears separate from all other things - that includes the ego/me.

All that is actually real, however, is what is always present. And what is that? The one consciousness that is existence itself, the pure consciousness that you are in reality. There is only that one consciousness; it's not that each of us has that pure consciousness. Rather, there is only that one consciousness. There is no "me" existing to have the one pure consciousness. Without that me present there is nothing which makes a thought based distinction between "this" and "that". This doesn't mean that everything suddenly looks the same; it doesn't, things still look different, but those things no longer overwhelm the sense of peace and stillness of what you are, the one pure consciousness. And should there then be an experience of "unity" such as you are looking for (and there is no guarantee that that will ever happen) it would only be on the level of the mind, which means it would only be a fleeting thing (nothing stays the same on the level of the mind).

So, enjoy it if it happens; and if it doesn't then it doesn't. No sense in looking for it or worrying about it never happening. Remember, all happenings are time bound and fleeting. You/consciousness are not. Consciousness doesn't go looking for anything, doesn't wonder about anything, and doesn't go anywhere. It just is, and it is oneness itself.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:39 am

The only obstacle to awakening is the continued accumulation of concepts. One way this shows up is the expectation of particular experiences (as opposed to any other experience). Oneness, bliss, meditating, quoting the "I" and all the rest are concepts--if you think you've finally understood any of these spiritual or "beautiful" concepts, you can be sure you're farther away from awakening. It's quite a trap--the power of Maya. People spend decades meditating or wrapped in concepts they can explain vividly, but that's no closer to awakening than a walk in the park.

Forget your idea of oneness. Be here and now, in the utter ordinariness of existence. When the mind says "what this, this is it?"--that is it.

arel

Post by arel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:47 am

As input of discussion I'd like to offer this.

As you look out of your eyes into the world what happens is light particles are hitting your eyes for you to see things. Air vibrates for you to hear things. Same with other perceptions. They are picking up on movement of some sort of "particles" if you may. In constant movement. That movement is what constructs time. In your human mind. One light particle then the other hitting the eyes and your mind/memory/whatever constructs that sequence into time.

Imagine that everything stops. All movement. What's left? Explore for yourself but not intellectually. You still will be there, or rather very much here and now, the awareness. Awareness that is very narrowly and very deeply the present moment. Which is aware of our mind, which picks up the "stuff in time". Imagine one by one, your senses go, which of course include the sense of your body. You're deaf, and blind, and no sensations. Dead really :) But aware right?
What I say is only my viewpoint.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I find the inner body very helpful for uncovering the "felt presence" of Oneness. When there is intense presence, e.g. when energy is no longer going to the concepts of past and future, the Aliveness that you are can be directly felt. This Aliveness that can be directlly felt as "You" , and this "You" has no boundaries, it can be felt in everything around you, especially in Nature. When you look at a tree, you feel the same Energy (Essence) that animates you, also animates the tree and everything else. That is when you really realize what Nisgardatta meant when he said,"To realize yourself you are nothing is wisdom, but to realize you are Everything is Love."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Lovely, helpful comments as always from arel and lucy -- thanks!!

Emptiness is form.
Form is Emptiness.

- The Heart Sutra
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Excerpt from an Adya poem "Wake Up!" from My Secret is Silence
If God would only mainline
non-ending transcendence
into your veins
you would never suffer withdrawal.
This is the hidden hope
of all spiritual junkies.

Here is the Truth:
The Truth is not an experience
or an idea
the Truth is that
you have been dreaming.
Wake Up!

There is no one to be enlightened or
unenlightened.
And lines from a corresponding follow up to the poem:
It's the fear of taking a swan dive into the void
that is ultimately the cause of all this nonsense.

I'm not trying to give you a spiritual experience.
I just want to cut off your head.
OK, after all, it's just my head...
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

traveler

Post by traveler » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:17 pm

arel wrote:Imagine that everything stops. All movement. What's left? Explore for yourself but not intellectually. You still will be there, or rather very much here and now, the awareness. Awareness that is very narrowly and very deeply the present moment. Which is aware of our mind, which picks up the "stuff in time". Imagine one by one, your senses go, which of course include the sense of your body. You're deaf, and blind, and no sensations. Dead really :) But aware right?
haha, i tried this and i now understand it. i have experienced awareness before numerous times, but this was different. i realized i was just emptiness after all my perceiving senses were dead, and yet here and now. amazing!! :D now i understand what ET meant when he said that there is great space within us in which the present moment arises

garuda

Post by garuda » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:06 am

Traveler,
I think Kiki best described your situation: having mystical experiences; and his advice seems sound. And remember, if a happening has a beginning or an end — then it’s not enlightenment, but rather just another fleeting experience.

Your ego may be seeking folly, not enlightenment. Don’t let it fool you. You may want to approach this slowly by simply using your awareness to watch your thoughts arise and fall. That will likely calm the mind and make it more conducive to reaching the state you seem to want.

And bear in mind that the enlightened state of consciousness seems extraordinary and seductive BEFORE you attain it; but AFTER you reach it, you will find it to be very ordinary. Nothing special at all. You see "what is" more clearly.
Last edited by garuda on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Are you referring to "that art thou"? "that" means the outside, "thou" means the inside...they are bridged. there is no division. life is death and death is life. Osho .... But the best I have read recently is ...

"Absurdity"
"I would like you to be absurd, because thats how existence is. It is meaninglessly meaningful, illogically logical. All the contradictions, all the paradoxes, are in an inner coherence. Are you yourself not absurd?.....Allow absurdity....then you simply live....you dont ask for meaning...Then each moment is intrinsically meaningful...or meaningless....they are the same." Osho
I just LOVE it!! This is living life to the fullest!

Or maybe this?

At the sound of the bell
in the silent night,
I wake from my dream
in this dreamworld of ours.
Gazing at the reflection
of the moon in a clear pool,
I see, beyond my form, my real form.

- Kojisei

Sw A Devagni

Re: Oneness

Post by Sw A Devagni » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Well I would say try Zen Meditation and the Big Mind Process - www.bigmind.org. You can order the DVD from the website. It's a must.

D.

traveler

Re: Oneness

Post by traveler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 am

Sw A Devagni wrote:Well I would say try Zen Meditation and the Big Mind Process - http://www.bigmind.org. You can order the DVD from the website. It's a must.
thank you very much for informing me about this zen meditation DVD :D. But check this out:
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Big-Mind-Bi ... 57db740d2a
lol... :wink: