Milton's Secret

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Sw A Devagni

Milton's Secret

Post by Sw A Devagni » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am

Dear all,

Just previewed this book on Amazon and on about the fourth page, there's a mistake!

It is 'a recess', and should read 'at recess'.

I am an editor, true, but I thought Eckart would have gone through this and checked with his eagle-eyed awareness! (or does that say something about his awareness or his capacity to hold it?)

Anyway, happens to all of us...

Dev

lucy

Re: Milton's Secret

Post by lucy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:15 pm

The Awareness that ET is pointing to is the all encompassing "Seeing" that is your true nature, it has nothing to do with making typos or mistake relative world.

Sw A Devagni

Post by Sw A Devagni » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

Well, you know that's not true.

As Genpo Roshi would say (a great Zen master) there is no point practising if you don't at least make an effort to carry it into the world.

Now I'm not saying (I was being slightly facetious) that Eckhart doesn't embody his awareness. He clearly does (or seems to) in quite extraordinary ways.

But I disagree with your statement that Pure Awareness simply has nothing to do with the relative world.

Emptiness is Form; Form is Emptiness.

That's to say, the awareness that you are right now, is not separate from this world (how could it be) as if it is all things and gives rise to all things, it cannot be separate.

Now, as Human Beings (and I capitalize for a reason), we have two aspects to us (and this is Genpo Roshi's work - http://www.bigmind.org), namely the Human and the Being side.

Think of a triangle (an equilateral triangle pointing upwards). On one base of the triangle, we have what we could call the Human side of us (competitiveness, anger, desire, seeking, ambition, etc). None of these are 'wrong' in themselves.

On the other side of the triangle, the other base, we have the Being side, which is the ever-present, Non-Dual awareness which you already are, right here, right now.

Now, at the Apex of this triangle, we have what we could call the Human Being, that is to say the one which includes and transcends both the human and the Being sides, where both are seen as inseparable, even if they are distinct.

You see it's quite subtle, and yet profoudnly simple. Being is the manifest realm, because it gave rise to it in the first place. Every form (whatever it may be) is already suffused with that awareness.

And yet, as you point out, there is this Being side, which is absolutely untouched by, unaffected by, anything in the manifest realm. Unborn, Undying, Uncreate.

And at the Apex, they join together, where as Human Beings (i.e. embodied forms), we are both the Being side, and the Human side. So we are free to be competitive, greedy, ambitious, etc. as long as we own it and (and this is crucial) see through to the emptiness of it. It's already a done deal. The game of manifestation is over. Already.

So we have these two realities which are operating simultaneously. I am writing this now in the manifest world, writing about Consciousness, the formless Being which is entirely unaffected by this or what I am writing.

Yet it is being brought into the realm of form and being made more manifest by doing this. This is exquisitely expressed in the statement by Adyashanti of 'Emptiness Dancing'. That's what it is. Formless Emptiness, just dancing, temporarily forgetting Itself, throwing Itself out into the world of form.

Hope this was intriguing and sheds some new light on the matter.

Namasste,

Devagni.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Sw A Devagni,
Sw A Devagni wrote:Just previewed this book on Amazon and on about the fourth page, there's a mistake!

It is 'a recess', and should read 'at recess'.

I am an editor, true, but I thought Eckart would have gone through this and checked with his eagle-eyed awareness! (or does that say something about his awareness or his capacity to hold it?)
I was merely pointing out that ET's editor missing a typo should not be taken as a reflection of Eckhart's awareness. I was making a distinction between Awareness and attention. Yes I am familar with the teachings of Genpo Roshi in fact there is a good interview with him on conscioustv. I am not discounting Emodiment, I was trying to point out that a realized person can still make typos and "so called" mistakes in the relative world and it shouldn't be mixed up with the ego's idea of perfection. Awareness flows into the relative world, (so to speak) but how it ultimatelly manifests can only be known in that moment.

garuda

Post by garuda » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:20 am

SwADevagni,
Such ado over a typo. It reminds me of one of Eckhart’s stories about the two monks, when one monk carried a young girl across a creek (I think it was). :)
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

Sw A Devagni

Post by Sw A Devagni » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Well those are both beautiful responses and I bow humbly to both...

Dev.