Tolle and Out of Body Experiences

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Tolle and Out of Body Experiences

Postby OneMansJourney » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 am

I've searched for this subject before but could find no discussion with anything relating the two subjects.

Do you think Tolle is aware of Astral Projection and Out of Body Experiences? He seems like a prime candidate, as to project you have to be able to quiet the mind.

I've rolled this around in my head for a while and I'm almost certain he has to have the ability. Do you think perhaps he's just not sharing it yet? Or perhaps he doesn't have the desire to explore consciousness outside of his body?

Thoughts?
OneMansJourney

Re: Tolle and Out of Body Experiences

Postby domokato » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am

Do you have the ability? I'd be interested to hear about it. I tried to project for a while, but have been unsuccessful.
~housecat
domokato

Postby OneMansJourney » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:09 am

domokato wrote:Do you have the ability? I'd be interested to hear about it. I tried to project for a while, but have been unsuccessful.

I've had a few very small experiences. They were pretty vague and foggy so it didn't have much of an effect on me.

What intrigues me so much about it is Robert Monroe tells of when he started to have OBE's, he lost the fear of death. He KNEW there was life after death and it made a big impact on how much he enjoyed life. Complete liberation.

I also read how it's a great form of self therapy as things in the astral plane are created by your mind. Whatever problems are hiding deep in your subconscious become manifested in the astral. You can face them head on and fix things that need to be fixed.

Perhaps another path to enlightenment?
OneMansJourney

Postby kiki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 am

Perhaps another path to enlightenment?

When you are out-of-body ask yourself, "Who is out of body?" Use it as another platform for self-enquiry. Ask yourself if Awareness has done anything, gone anywhere, or changed in any way. The experience of OOBE may be on more subtle levels of energy but has Consciousness itself been affected?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby OneMansJourney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:49 am

I found a great answer to the question I was asking.

http://www.astralvoyage.com/projection/enlightenment.html
OneMansJourney

Postby Tranquil1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 am

I have had many out of body experiences.. It does require stilling the waking mind, allowing your awareness to slip just into a dream. The difference between a dream and an astral experience could be compared to the difference between a state of waking unconsciousness and a state of waking presence/self-awareness/consciousness.. There is a gradient, and there is an "aha moment" even in a dream.. I spent about 3 months solid practicing. Waking to eat, shower, etc was about it.

"I also read how it's a great form of self therapy as things in the astral plane are created by your mind. "
Indeed. I am still a junior, but my first experiences and several thereafter have been in line with this statement.. It's actually extremely hard, albeit not impossible, to achieve conscious astral projection without having a stilled mind. As we all know, stilling a waking mind is progressive. It isn't all at once, yet you can have moments of complete stillness. As you continue in your waking meditation, clearing the issues that your mind is attached to, stilling the mind becomes even easier. The same is true during astral projection. Diligent internal mental, emotional, and energy work assists the consistency, quality and control of an astral projection; however, there are many people who have spontaneous astral experiences without such work, though they might be less meaningful or powerful.

Tips I can give from my experiences:
*Practice, it is like any skill. Even meditation.
*When in a lucid dream, meditate. Attempt to still the mind during the dream (and the form of the dream, or other beings in the dream can be distracting ;P).
*While in an astral experience, BREATHE and relax. This stabilizes your energy and concentration of thought. Like you said, thought manifests.. So thinking the slightest emotional or negative thought can create some very interesting, weird, or fearful experiences.
-- It is easy to get WAAAY excited in an astral experience; especially when you are watching your thoughts appear in front of you.
*The way you control the experience is a little different than you might imagine. You still have an "internal mind" that can plan and think, without manifesting. The manifestation of thought happens with Intent and focus upon a thought. And even then the manifested astral experience is far more detailed & complex than the single thought you could focus upon. A mundane, physical example would be "I am walking to my car" But while you manifest that thought by walking, you actually are passing by your front door, all the people outside, the trees, the parking lot, etc etc. and you finally see your car in the midst of the whole. Your mind pulled you towards your car, whilst encountering the things along the way.
*Have a focus, an intention, a purpose: General advice about life, but a planned, clear intention will lead to a far more powerful experience due to ease of deciding what to do when you actually become conscious "out of body".

"Ask yourself if Awareness has done anything, gone anywhere, or changed in any way. The experience of OOBE may be on more subtle levels of energy but has Consciousness itself been affected?"
This is a beautiful question. From my experience, yes the background "Awareness" or the "Consciousness" is the same. Simply experiencing a different type of form. A more fluid, bendy, form.

Honestly the most beautiful experience I had made me weep profusely when I awoke. Due to it being so short lived. I was grateful and continue to be ever ever grateful for knowing of such a divine reality.

I can indeed see why Eckhart has publicly said this on the matter(in one of his books I believe):
"The fact is that no one has ever become enlightened through denying or fighting the body or through an out-of-the-body experience. Although such an experience can be fascinating and can give you a glimpse of the state of liberation from the material form, in the end you will always have to return to the body, where the essential work of transformation takes place. Transformation is through the body, not away from it. This is why no true master has ever advocated fighting or leaving the body, although their mind-based followers often have."

And I can attest to this as ABSOLUTELY TRUE. He hits it right on the head. I have traveled out of body, but Every Single Time, I had to wake up... The conflict was enormous once this happened several times. The desire to have that sort of reality come into complete, full, waking truth at all times clashing with the fact that I still existed in a material body, in this material world.
That being said, he does not give it the props it deserves.. I have learned A Lot about myself and the nature of reality through these experiences. That being said, the "learned material" is of the mind. I also do not believe Eckhart gives enough credit to the mind, due to his extensive experience "beyond" it. The mind creates a wonderful, essential, and inseparable framework from which to leap into a higher states of Pure Awareness.

The fact is, we are traveling from the mind to beyond the mind. This does not exclude the mind, but absolutely includes it. If you have a pressing fear of death always on your mind, you will assuredly deal with that mental form's root cause before it can be completely released and silences. This is the unsaid step that Eckhart fails to dwell upon, due the mental "answers" being always found from the same stillness, the One Answer.

Whoever you are, do yourself a favor and start ENJOYING the mind, the meditation, the process. Throw the cynical view of the mind and ego out of the window. Learn to love the whole of your experience, even the mind, even emotions. Love it as much as you love a beautiful flower, or your most cherished love one or song. Love your ego, love your body, love your Awareness, love the stillness. Be grateful you have a mind that works properly and lets you manifest your dream reality while awake!

That is why we came here to this physical plane, to master the mind, to Transcend Consciously. Out of body experiences are wonderful, they let you see a glimpse of infinity and are as precious as any experience of life; but the most important, difficult, rewarding, and permanent work is done while awake. But as you do this work, you get closer and closer to having the same "out of body" function of "thoughts manifesting before you" taking place during your REAL LIFE! How cool is that?!
Tranquil1

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion