Presence and Resumes

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
lucy

Re: Presence and Resumes

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:13 pm

borris83 wrote:Regarding Ramana, it is a little different.. Fortunately, for many people awakening and embodiment doesn't happen at the same time and during this interval the body prepares itself to face the embodiment... But when they do happen at the same time, the body experiences tremendous shock.. In fact, most people die during the moment of sudden enlightenment, others get a lot of bodily disorders..

You remember my thread regarding Nirvikalpa Samadhi? Ramana was in samadhi there, and his body was covered by termites and other insects which had eaten a small part of flesh from his leg..There have been other people who were in Samadhi and food had to be fed to them forcefully in order to keep their body alive..

But for people who have an awakening and gradual embodiment, this doesn't happen..Also, this doesn't happen for the people who have trained their body to face the sudden enlightenment, for eg, Yoga...
boris83
With no disrespect intended: How do you know any of this? Would it not be more helpful to rely on your own direct experience of awakening?

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:I'm applying for jobs these days. I find it strange that in order for someone to hire me, my past becomes so important. I almost want to tell people that the past is unimportant, only the presence is.
hypnagog wrote:While trying to experience life in the present moment is an admirable pursuit, it doesn't mean that one's past history is utterly meaningless with respect to employment. Your skills - which you ideally practice while living in the moment - are based on past experience and learning. Try hiring someone without determining that they have at least some experience and skill for the job. After wasting enough time and money hiring unqualified people, even Ramana Maharshi would be looking at resumes and calling references.
Thanks for the excellent reply, hypnagog.

It's interesting how often people would read a spiritual teaching like that of Tolle and go from one extreme to the other, abandoning common sense in the process.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

borris83

Post by borris83 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:13 am

How do you know any of this? Would it not be more helpful to rely on your own direct experience of awakening?
I have seen Ramana only in pictures; Can I say that Ramana never existed because I did not see him?

When I am talking about Ramana's Nirvikalpa Samadhi, I am doing it just like any other talk about anything else... For example, I know New York is in USA but I don't have any direct experience of being in New York.. And if tomorrow someone comes and says 'There is no place called New York in the earth', I would not be bothered about it at all.

Why make it very serious? A discussion forum is meant to discuss things, and so I am just discussing it.. Nirvikalpa samadhi has been always an interesting subject to talk about, and hence I am talking about it.. And I know that talking about it doesn't help me to realize my self... But should I be doing my everyday things only if they help me to my self-realization? :) I do things only for the fun of it..

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:29 am

"With no disrespect intended: How do you know any of this? Would it not be more helpful to rely on your own direct experience of awakening?" lucy

Would it lucy? How do you know this? :)

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:28 pm

borris83 wrote:But for people who have an awakening and gradual embodiment, this doesn't happen..Also, this doesn't happen for the people who have trained their body to face the sudden enlightenment, for
e.g, Yoga...
I am interested in how you know this. I guess the question I am asking is: is there a value to describing the taste of honey without ever tasting it yourself?

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 pm

What value would it have lucy if borris HAD tasted honey? It would still be the same as now....for us readers....just interesting stuff, as borris intended his post to be....interesting. Peaceman

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Peaceman wrote:What value would it have lucy if borris HAD tasted honey? It would still be the same as now....for us readers....just interesting stuff, as borris intended his post to be....interesting. Peaceman
I disagree. I think direct experience is far more valuable then using the experiences of others.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm

I am sure no one would disagree with you lucy. What I was trying to say is even if borris had had a direct personal experience, it would still be,to you, an "experience of others". Have I explained myself any better?

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Yes, I understand what you are saying Peaceman. What I am talking about is that I think it is far more valuable to talk about something from one's own experience instead of using the experience of others to talk about it. For example. if I asked you what honey tasted like, you would be able to describe it better if you had actually tasted it yourself instead of having "researched" it and then give an explanation based on your research.

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:36 am

Nothing really matters anyway. It's not like "I" am the one emoting, thinking, doing. Life is the dancer and I'm the dance. Perhaps unfortunately most people believe the opposite to be the deep truth, that they have some will power that is oh-so-special, and that what they do with it is the dance.

If an interviewer is turned off by presence, then perhaps I was never meant to work for their company.

It's like E.T. when he applied for a position at a bank. Something about him made the interviewers wonder why he was even applying. He could've been living his life in a bank in England instead of writing the Power of Now and A New Earth.

All this is mind-stuff. If all I was concerned about was manifesting what I think I want, I'd be praising "The Secret", not Eckhart Tolle... Not that they're incompatible.

Peace.