Why doesn't Eckhart mention release?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
jackh

Why doesn't Eckhart mention release?

Post by jackh » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

I'm curious as to what Eckhart would say about release techniques for letting go of emotions such as the one on karmarider's website, Sedona Method, EFT, etc. I wonder if he would have anything to say about bringing emotions to awareness and then releasing them versus sustaining attention on them until they are transmuted in the body..

karmarider

Re: Why doesn't Eckhart mention release?

Post by karmarider » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:46 pm

The techniques are very similar. All of these techniques are about raising consciousness.

Tolle focuses on "Awareness" techniques, which are about shifting attention from deep inside thought or emotion, to unoccupied presence. Presence raises awareness by taking us out of the superstitious concept of time which holds up many of our delusional beliefs. There are other awareness techniques, for example, many types of meditation raise awareness by exploring our relationship with thought. I recommend "observing thought." The recognition of the ego raises awareness. Understanding how the mind works can raise awareness. The recognition of the clinging to concepts and beliefs raises awareness. The "goal" is to abide effortlessly in awareness.

Release techniques, like mine and Sedona and to some extent The Work, raise awareness by focusing on letting go. At our most natural, we are enlightened, but we don't see it because of the clinging to thought and emotion and beliefs and desires and aversions the concept of time, the concept of "I"--in short, holding on to mind-stuff. Many people are not able to see this. The emotional can't let go of the "pain-body" and the intellectual cannot let go their cherished beliefs and so on. Releasing just helps us see this clingingness and it helps us see that letting go is a snap. I like Release techniques because they can help people feel better right away.

There are also "heart" techniques like acceptance, forgiveness, surrender, gratitude, non-attachment and compassion. I'm sure these work for many people, but these can also become a "doing" when they are really about letting go.

There is the inquiry technique, "who am I?" and focusing on the sense of "I AM."

Then of course there is spirituality. I don't lean that way. It can be a trap.

There is non-duality, and it resonates, and the anti-dogma dogma of it is quite amusing.

There are body techniques like hatha yoga, EFT, and ET's inner body awareness.

I am exploring techniques that raise consciousness by releasing addictions to substances and weight loss.

One way to look at these various types of techniques is to see they work on specific areas of resistance. At our most natural, we are already enlightened, but we don't see it because of resistance. Awareness techniques dissolve the clingingness to thought and beliefs, release techniques dissolve the clingingness to emotion and embodied patterns, and heart techniques dissolve the resistance to what is.

The "good" techniques are the ones that help us see that the technique is not necessary.
Last edited by karmarider on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigma

Post by enigma » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:40 am

"The "good" techniques are the ones that help us see that the technique is not necessary.
Indeed, and so I hope that I will be forgiven for sounding like a broken record. (Or maybe with all the young folks around here I should say a scratched CD?) Maybe this CD is a technique to end all techniques, and it's possible this is not one we want to add to our collection....

Okay, here's the anti-technique, technique. As has been said, it's all about awareness. So this technique involves looking to see how many minds are involved in the technique of learning to do the effortless thing of letting go. It doesn't matter what one is trying to let go of, the question is, who is hanging on and who is trying to let go?

If there are two or more people involved in this process we can set them all down somewhere and try to negotiate an agreement whether they want to hold on or let go, but if there is only one involved, it becomes very simple, right? The question then becomes, 'What do you want to do, hold on or let go?' If the answer is, 'I want to hold on', engaging in a technique to bring about letting go would be self defeating and pointless. If the answer is, 'I want to let go', engaging in a technique to bring about letting go would be redundant and pointless.

E1lycat

Post by E1lycat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:50 pm

jackh, may I please refer you to page 79 of The Power Of Now, under the heading

How can we drop the negativity, as you suggest?

:D
I am in need of nothing but the truth

-ACIM-

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 pm

All these techniques are directed to people who suffer from egoic disorders, or for the more awakened among us, egoic "regressions." The keyword is "freedom." From The Sedona Method: "Would I rather have this feeling or would I rather be free?" They work, they simply work for many people to add comfort to their lives. Might not move anyone any closer to awakening, but can clear out some irritating shrubbery on the path/no path.

Yes, and well-put, enigma, the real question is "who has the hang up?" Which is another version of Ramana's fundamental inquiry "Who Am I?"

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

enigma

Post by enigma » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:54 am

Yes, and well-put, enigma, the real question is "who has the hang up?" Which is another version of Ramana's fundamental inquiry "Who Am I?"
Self inquiry is a super wonderful thing, but If the conditions are such that no seeing happens, all the looking in the world won't bring that about, because it's effortless and immediate. There is nothing to do but look. Spend too much time looking and mind will surely write a story about it, but if it's not willing to see, looking won't make it willing. Questioning what is believed to be so, and looking to see, is a wonderful thing too, and perhaps it is a practice. What I refer to is practices done by the mind to get mind to do something, so before the question 'Who has the hang up?' is asked, I ask who is trying to get who to do what? It's a much simpler question that has a perfectly obvious answer.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:34 pm

I ask who is trying to get who to do what? It's a much simpler question that has a perfectly obvious answer.
This, too is another variety of "Who Am I?" If the answer were simple, then simply asking it would enlighten everyone instantly. It doesn't.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

enigma

Post by enigma » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

Sighclone wrote:
I ask who is trying to get who to do what? It's a much simpler question that has a perfectly obvious answer.
This, too is another variety of "Who Am I?" If the answer were simple, then simply asking it would enlighten everyone instantly. It doesn't.

Andy
You're still not hearing the question. Forget about what you conceptualize that you are and forget about self inquiry for a moment. Pretend you're a human with a mind. Who is trying to get who to do what?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 am

When I was "a human with a mind," I was like Eckhart before his shift. He was a linguist, so in parsing the sentence: "I can't live with myself," in deepest suicidal anxiety, he shifted. The self of the mind in his case was full of impossible stories. In my case, there were a few, complete with serial thoughts of guilt and blame, but not enough stress to cause anything but seeking. I did not know how to seek with anything except my mind. (And heart...if some "answer" didn't resonate there, it would fall away.)

Today mind is optional, but heart is not. And none of us is either.

I do actually understand:
If the answer is, 'I want to let go', engaging in a technique to bring about letting go would be redundant and pointless.
Maybe, enigma. But most people find that "letting go" of ... themselves, of their "false self created by unconscious identification with the mind," or ego as defined by ET in PON, can't be done just by "letting it go" like "releasing" little residual anger at a neighbor who scraped your fence with his lawnmower.

If you can help others to do that, as perhaps you have been able to do, please post it here. :)

Andy

Andy

enigma

Post by enigma » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 am

Maybe, enigma. But most people find that "letting go" of ... themselves, of their "false self created by unconscious identification with the mind," or ego as defined by ET in PON, can't be done just by "letting it go" like "releasing" little residual anger at a neighbor who scraped your fence with his lawnmower.

If you can help others to do that, as perhaps you have been able to do, please post it here.
Well, okay, since we're pretending I can do for others, what I've been able to do on occasion is help some see the absurdity of trying to let go. This is a realization rather than any sort of doing or trying. In many areas, trying can go on for a very long time, and when the reality of the situation is suddenly realized, all the trying is done. Nothing really changes without some kind of a realization, and if there is any kind of a realization, something MUST change. Something new has been introduced into mind's conditioning, or more to the point, something in the conditioning has fallen away.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry, enigma - I edited my earlier post which had an error and your copy of it in your reply. I edited "can be done" to "can't be done" ( this was my original intent, and represents a big change in my meaning...sorry for the late-night oversight ). Does that change your reply at all? I think probably not...

Andy

enigma

Post by enigma » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:29 am

Sighclone wrote:Sorry, enigma - I edited my earlier post which had an error and your copy of it in your reply. I edited "can be done" to "can't be done" ( this was my original intent, and represents a big change in my meaning...sorry for the late-night oversight ). Does that change your reply at all? I think probably not...

Andy
Well, no, not really, but it clears up some of my confusion about what you were saying.
I agree you can't just tell somebody to let go, and I wasn't suggesting that. As I say, it requires a realization. The point is the same; realization doesn't result from practicing a technique. Realization is a matter of effortlessly looking to see what is so. It's much more about ending the effort than engaging in it. In this way, the practice may be a delay tactic.

arel

Post by arel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 pm

enigma wrote:
Well, no, not really, but it clears up some of my confusion about what you were saying.
I agree you can't just tell somebody to let go, and I wasn't suggesting that. As I say, it requires a realization. The point is the same; realization doesn't result from practicing a technique. Realization is a matter of effortlessly looking to see what is so. It's much more about ending the effort than engaging in it. In this way, the practice may be a delay tactic.
Notice how you enigma talk about your intimately personal experience like it is so for everyone. I believe that is unhelpful for people to read things written in this way. Might even be a hindrance for most to look and realize on their own.

Mind is variable, between you and me and others. But we seem to agree that awareness is not variable between us. Like we agree that 2+2=4. So you talk about your experience of your mind, like it was 2+2=4, and I start looking in my experience, and I don't see what you see. So I keep searching in my experience for what you have in yours. But I don't have it. So I keep searching.

Like Andy pointed out, Eckhart looked at the phrase "I cannot live with myself any longer" and that was his tipping point. See how that phrase is exploration of personal experience.

Any use of language is describing a personal experience. I suggest everyone keep it in mind when writing or reading anything.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

As Andy suggested, ET parsed words. It sounds like folks are parsing awareness with words. Why is this important?
Be present, be pleasant.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Before awakening, or even a glimpse of it, the best we can do is "believe it exists." Poor Buddha, poor Adya, poor Gary Weber (20,000 hours of yoga and chanting) and poor Andy (35 years of TM...kiki had a similar experience.)

Or not.

I toss in this delightful summary by Peter Fenner in 'The Sacred Mirror', a very active teacher in....Marin County....home of infinite psycho-babble. But I think he nails it here, expressing a deep paradox which tends to separate the "radical non-dualists" (that's Adya's phrase from Session 12 in 'The End of Your World') and those of us like Dennis Waite and Ramana who endorse sadhanas:

One of the most delightful paradoxes is that at the end of the nondual path we realize that we haven't travelled any distance -- that no path has been traversed and that we haven't attained "anything." But we also realize that if we hadn't believed that there was a path and made the effort we have made, we wouldn't have arrived at the point we are at. Even though we realize that our struggle and commitment has been pointless, in the absence of this effort we would still be drifting in the illusion that there actually is somewhere to go and something to achieve. Without doing what we didn't need to do, we wouldn't realize that we didn't need to do it.
Namaste, Andy