"I will create no more pain for myself."

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
HowToKnowGod

"I will create no more pain for myself."

Post by HowToKnowGod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 pm

E.T. in TPON says that when we're in the present moment we'll come to a point where we need to decide that we will make no more pain for ourselves. But is this possible? Every decision we make has the potential for painful outcome.

enigma

Re: "I will create no more pain for myself."

Post by enigma » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Maybe it's a little deceptive to call it a choice. Maybe we could look at it in terms of the result of realization or clarity?

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:E.T. in TPON says that when we're in the present moment we'll come to a point where we need to decide that we will make no more pain for ourselves. But is this possible? Every decision we make has the potential for painful outcome.

This is a great question. Every desire, every wish or dream, or hope, no matter how small, leads two ways. The first is dissapointment, because life didn't unfold the way we wanted it to. The second is happiness, but only fleeting happiness. We become addicted to that short moment of happiness, because, just temporarily, all of our desires have dissapeared. However, we ascribe that happiness to fulfilling the desire, and not to that lack of desire altogether. This is when we ask 'How can I feel that happiness again?' and go chasing after many things, hoping they will make us happy. It is a vicious cycle, which leads only to dissapointment or only fleeting fulfilment. This is the unsatisfactoriness of being that buddhists talk about, and is a cause of human suffering.

Anyway, when you become present with the Self, you start to abide in that undescribeable peace, which is always free from desire or want. You can discern between real happiness, and only temporary happiness, and so the nature of experience is showed to you. This is where you decide to no longer hold on to that which you do not need - desire. This is where you see the inherent unsatisfactoriness of all fleeting experience, and so choose to no longer invest yourself in it. This is the point where you become free from ownership of actions, free from attachment to outcomes and experiences, free from trying to control and manipulate every experience to fulfill your desires. What Eckhart is talking about here is becoming free from conditional existence, to become aware of one's own suffering and so divorce oneself of the limiting adjuncts which bind you to misery and dissapointment.

It is the conscious commitment to abide only in the real, and give up the unreal for good. :)

jackh

Post by jackh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:18 pm

"However, we ascribe that happiness to fulfilling the desire, and not to that lack of desire altogether. "

My jaw just dropped, and then I busted up laughing.

Thank you.