Eckhart on Gratitude

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Sighclone

Eckhart on Gratitude

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 am

Eckhart's recent newsletter (January) has a discussion about gratitude -- you can sign up to be on his mailing list (upper right corner of homepage on website) for free. It is probably copyrighted, or I would place it here, but he talks about "appreciation of the 'is-ness' of the moment" as opposed to "I'm grateful I'm not as bad off as they are."

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Nobody

Re: Eckhart on Gratitude

Post by Nobody » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:54 am

Well, I suppose it's no accident that a mere moment before going to the active posts and seeing Andy's post on Gratitude I had the thought to start a new thread on Gratitude here :-) Thank you Andy, and to All of you who post here, for doing so; I have found so many helpers, teachers, and kin.

I've been thinking a lot recently, of this thing we sometimes call Serendipity, and of a concept of shared Mind, or Consciousness. I remember Krishnamurti talking about a "human stream" of consciousness. ACIM too, speaks of no separation in Divine Mind, that we are all connected in Source and have no private thoughts.

I don't consider myself to be one of the Enlightened ones, but have often experienced after moments of quiet some thought - of a person, or idea - that it is followed shortly after by one of these serendipitous moments: I'll receive a phone call or message from the person I thought of or, as in this instance, the thought of posting on gratitude followed moments later by finding exactly the right place to do so, with a title all fresh and ready for me! Such moments feel like a confirmation of this shared Knowingness, a connection we all have to Source, or Divine Mind, or the Human Stream, or however one might like to think of it...

For this too, I am profoundly grateful, and deeply moved.

So while I carry on this path of noticing the thoughts and feelings that pass through, remembering not to identify with them nor attach to them nor fear them, I also remember that I am connected to all of humanity by a shared mind/source/consciousness. And I wonder if I won’t always be involved in some way in the thought-stream as long as any of “my brothers” is still living there.

In other words, if it is true that we are all part of the All, or God, or… as I believe/feel/think/Know that we are… might it not be the case that none of us will be fully released until we all are?

And then, the more we practice being aware of Awareness, the more proficient we are at being free from identification with thought, mightn't it also be true the more we lighten the density of that thought stream for others?

This is not a new idea I know, and many others have expressed the same idea in other ways, here on this forum and elsewhere. I think another way of saying it might be as ET does, as evolution of consciousness.

But I’m reminded, and again am grateful for, the effort others make to “wake up”, for I believe that it is helping me to do so with them. And for whatever contribution I can make to the clarifying of our shared mind, to un-polluting that stream, I have you All to thank.

I encourage anyone as I encourage myself, who sometimes feels frustrated at not having "made it" yet to a perfectly quiet mind, or who feels that they don't "get it" yet, that in practicing moments of quiet, of being in the Now, we may in fact be helping to clear a path through the woods of the mind for others who are right "behind" us, and that may be exactly what we are supposed to be doing. And if we're not completely awake yet, maybe that is exactly the place we're supposed to Be.

So thank you, All, for Everything: thank you, thank you, thank you!
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?

Emily Dickenson

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:57 am

Andy, thank you for your post - I am sighed up for the newsletter, and the reminders always come at the right time - as do you :-)
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?

Emily Dickenson

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Kind words, thank you, nobody. Clearly, in his comments, Eckhart speaks of gratitude as being a felt connection with a higher form of thanks, and in that, a celebration of our unity in Being.
And then, the more we practice being aware of Awareness, the more proficient we are at being free from identification with thought, mightn't it also be true the more we lighten the density of that thought stream for others?
I believe that is true. There is much agreement on the effect of 'transmission.'
might it not be the case that none of us will be fully released until we all are?
Certainly an interesting thought. It does not resonante completely with me, however. I am not really speaking for myself, but more from being with others and reading the work of more evolved teachers. I believe that the 'I-thought' can be utterly dissolved, which I take as your "fully released." I'm thinking particularly of Ramana Maharshi's discussions of the levels of Nirvikalpa Samhadi, (esp. sahaja) in his "Talks," - p. 154 in my edition, but also long face-to-face conversations with Gary Weber and reading "Radiant Mind" by Peter Fenner.

"Fully released" means to me no identification with the egoic self, and only passing recognition of samsara. The mind is, in fact, dead. I'm not there, but I think that the condition, pure residence in Brahman Absolute is possible. Now, since the Absolute contains everything, would it not be more "perfect" if everyone were self-realized? I'm going to say 'no,' because the distinctions of levels of self-realization themselves are also lost.

my 2 cents...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks, Andy. Even now, your thoughts are always 'worth' a good deal more than 2 cents :-)

Peace
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?

Emily Dickenson

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 am

In the Absolute, there is only one thing which can be measured, and that is Love. But it is not measured with a yardstick or a scale. It is measured by being felt. It is the highest form of the quantum discovery of the Copenhagen interpretation of Bell's Theorem, if you will: the observer, his/her simple fact of observing affects and indeed causes the event measured, or the collapse of the waveform.

This is to say that it is ultimately the unity we resonate with has at once discrete elements of Being but also the universal rhythm and melody created in the intimacy of our merging with the objects of our love. The measure is one of intensity, of "suchness." Is there less in a butterfly and more in a mountain or sleeping infant or delicate koan? The answer does not matter. The measure does not matter. The question is, do you feel any of it? If so, it is Blake who reminds us:

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Namaste, Andy

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:19 am

Specific to the direction of gratitude discussed in the newsletter, Eckhart focuses on the difference between egoic gratitude (eg. I should be grateful that healthy and have food on the table instead of losing both my legs in Haiti). I've never seen gratitude as segmented this way. In a way I hear what Eckhart is saying, at the same time its difficult not to have gratitude over being in our current environment with a roof over our heads and food on the table.