Deepak Chopra

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
HowToKnowGod

Deepak Chopra

Post by HowToKnowGod » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 am

Why does he keep coming out with books on methods of how to fix something?

He's on Tolle's recommended reading list, and he was a strong factor in orginally leading me to Tolle's Power of Now.

Marianne WIlliamson who is an author closely linked with A Course in Miracles (often quoted by Tolle) is teaming up with Chopra and someone else and have put out a book and there will also be a series on Oprah's website.

Why do these enlightened people have to come up with this intriguing courses? I thought the whole point of the present moment is that we are fully ourselves NOW, that we don't need any more courses, methods, series, whatever.

I feel both a push from and pull towards this. The push is that it's yet another methodology that continues the vicious circle of not being enough NOW and that possibly buying another book and going through a bunch of exercises is involved, the pull is that two great people are involved and the endless idea that things can always be better, I'm missing out, so better get with the programme.

kiki

Re: Deepak Chopra

Post by kiki » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 am

I feel both a push from and pull towards this. The push is that it's yet another methodology that continues the vicious circle of not being enough NOW and that possibly buying another book and going through a bunch of exercises is involved, the pull is that two great people are involved and the endless idea that things can always be better, I'm missing out, so better get with the programme.
Right smack dab in the middle of the push pull is the stillpoint of what you are - that's all you "need". No need to succumb to another book and its promise of something better.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

eckhart01

Post by eckhart01 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:18 pm

You could buy all material available from Eckhart Tolle, and you could sum up his entire teaching with 3 sentences.

They may have presence in their life, but a lot of people don't. For those people, it's important that there is as much literature dedicated to the subject as possible. Yes, I agree with what you are saying, but I also spent a long time doing exactly this - buying more ideas and concepts. Eventually, the need for more concepts and ideas diminished, as you realize that you need pointers less and less.

A cynical view may suggest that these authors are only identified with being spiritual teachers, or they simply want more money, which is fine too.

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Judging from his material, Deepak certainly isn't Self-realized.

heidi

Post by heidi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Everybody has to make a living. ;)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

James

Post by James » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

In the early 1990's I found Chopra's recordings, Escaping From The Prison of The Intellect and Sacred Versus Healing Sounds to be helpful and enjoyable to listen to. For me it was a step along the way, teachings such as that are a "wide gate" that appeal to a larger audience. Many come looking to improve themselves but then eventually they are hooked by truth and find it is not about self improvement. The head is caught in the tiger's mouth as Ramana called it.

The Non-dual perspective is that everything is as it is, and can't be any different, until it is of course; we are not the authors of Life. We seek and search until we discover that it is no longer necessary, and that the truth resides within and always had been. That's just the way it happens, "acceptance" is the operative word.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

James

Post by James » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:32 am

You wrote:
I thought the whole point of the present moment is that we are fully ourselves NOW, that we don't need any more courses, methods, series, whatever.
I know it is popular today to say that all is needed is to rest in the now, or rest in being and you will be awake, and to some extent that is true, it is the first and foremost portal, if we can call it that. But illusion is very persistent, and usually does not get dispelled that easily. It usually requires a more active energetic component, such as hearing or reading truth from other awakened beings, inquiry or contemplation. Or there is the path of experience, in which life provides the lessons and challenges needed to awaken. One gradually becomes more sensitive and tuned in to how the truth moves and operates in their experience.
That is the common conundrum of the truth seeker, or really any type of seeker. The dualizing mind wants to land on one side or the other, such as believing that seeking will result in awakening or that not seeking will result in awakening, it is always an either or situation to the mind, it can't comprehend paradoxes, can't see that it can be both at the same time. If there are thoughts of the future or getting better, than one hasn't truly surrendered to the now and accepted the current situation fully. There is a very different quality when we are moved by truth or intuition in the moment, to pick up a book, hear a teacher, be still or contemplate. As opposed to being moved by thoughts or concerns of missing out, or worrying about the future; or hoping to get something personal from it. There can be a relaxed enjoyment to understanding and experiencing truth, seeing how it operates, it is a process of discovery.

I would suggest you start by examining your motives. See what it is that is motivating you, and what are the thoughts that trigger that desire for a more or better Now. Don't analyze them, just observe them quietly and consistently in this way, without resistance or judgement. In this way consciousness begins to expose them, or reveal their untruth and those thoughts may just effortlessly dissolve, or will unload their "psychological package" within your awareness, and you will see clearly how illusion operates.

We awaken to what we already are, what already is, only when illusion is clearly seen through. That's the paradox of already is and becoming at the same time. It is truth unfolding, as the human experience.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:14 am

One idea is that his continuous books with methods are out there to hook people in, then be smitten by his presence. The methods themselves appeal to those who may be ready for something beyond the methods.

James

Post by James » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 pm

You wrote:
One idea is that his continuous books with methods are out there to hook people in, then be smitten by his presence.
We can only speculate or project why some people are prolific teachers or writers, or what their motivations are, the fact is that it is what is happening. It would be more helpful to look at our own motivations, what is it that hooks us? What are the thoughts that are promising a better me or a better future? Can we be present and observe them, be the space (so to speak), in which these thoughts arise?

samadhi

Post by samadhi » Sat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm

James wrote:
I know it is popular today to say that all is needed is to rest in the now, or rest in being and you will be awake, and to some extent that is true, it is the first and foremost portal, if we can call it that. But illusion is very persistent, and usually does not get dispelled that easily. It usually requires a more active energetic component, such as hearing or reading truth from other awakened beings, inquiry or contemplation. Or there is the path of experience, in which life provides the lessons and challenges needed to awaken. One gradually becomes more sensitive and tuned in to how the truth moves and operates in their experience.
I like this. It's easy to judge other spiritual teachers and whatnot and compare them with the ultimate truth as we might now know it. But there is a place for all degrees of teaching. Many - maybe even most - people aren't ready for the 'deeper' teachings and so need to skirt around the side-lanes for a bit, while still being drawn in the right direction. There is a place for teachings by people like Deepak, whom I've always admired and liked. It's maybe necessary to open minds and get people moving in the right direction...the full ripening will happen in time.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 am

When we are seeking, all books and techniques are possible portals. When we are not seeking (because we don't need to or because seeking is not our 'way') then no books or techniques matter. I am not seeking. But I love reading nondual writings and buy at least one book or magazine per month, often more. Each finger points at the moon from a different angle, each note in the symphony of the music of the spheres is different. I find that some are not my style and set them aside, with a couple of notes taken -- I may run across a forum member or friend whom my intuition suggests it might work for.

Deepak's story of the last years of the life of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi are fascinating...essentially, he says Maharishi tried to give him the whole TM deal...to be his 'spiritual successor.' Deepak says he declined. You can find this by Googling, I'm sure. A duet of Williamson and Chopra might be wonderful -- like heidi says, ya' gotta make a living.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

saima122

Post by saima122 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi… that was great stuff.
[https://uae-offplan.com/]offplan properties Dubai[/url]

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, Saima.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Dan_

Post by Dan_ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Deepak chopra may or may not enlightened. It is the pressure of our expectations of him is giving us disappointments. He is basically a teacher, and a good teacher. A teacher of Bible, Gita or Ramayan is not necessarily Jesus-like or Krishna-like. He is able to explain the material well, in a manner that helps us understand. Reaching enlightenment is a whole different matter. It is a personal matter. What I read of Nisarga Dutt, is that even after he was enlightened he was selling Bidies. He was a good Bidi maker, which had nothing to do with nonduality or enlightenment.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Nisargadatta smoked tobacco, before and after his awakening, before and during his teaching. Someone asked him why he smoked, and in a typically wry fashion he answered: "I was not aware that I smoked." Which is, of course, a very serious and amusing nondual answer.

Andy