What is the best off button for the brain ?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
SharonIrish

Post by SharonIrish » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 am

Hi Weichen,
First, thank you for posting how you are using your illness for becoming more conscious.
In a previous post you used the word "intention" in reference to your "mind tool", "I wonder what my next thought will be?" I've found mind tools are helpful for setting myself up for quieting the brain. Just my intention helps it happen more frequently.

Some "set ups" I use for allowing my brain to quiet
1)Yoga(slow motion)and meditation(mine are short) in AM
2)Cutting way back on reading, radio, and TV - noticing breathing more
3)writing - not necessarily journaling- just writing what I'm thinking, like in Artist's Way. Seems to satisfy something, brain calms down. and if my mind is thinking a mile a minute about what to do about something, stopping to write it down.
4) I've also tried your wondering what thought is next- since I read your first post. I find it helps keep me from going unconscious, allows me to feel being the watcher.

Your last post also brought up another idea about positivity, which ET addresses.I think your positive declarative statements allow Presence to flow into you and stop "mind pollution" like affirmative prayer.

In addition, I also agree with what JedEye said, ultimately, we just need to watch. This is a "both, and" situation for me. I agree with both.
Sharon

Anois

Post by Anois » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:00 pm

Just feel the breath going in and out of the nose.

weichen

Post by weichen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:36 pm

SharonIrish,
Thanks for your feedback post, it resonate well with me and helps me to see things more clearly. There is one piece of gem in JedEye's post that I missed last time.

Brain off button is only one step away from peace, but it is still not peace yet. it is a mind form. Peace is the field where all form comes and goes. So JedEye's gem is that we go right to the field (that is who we really are). Because one is form, the other is field, it is not a "either or" case, but a both, and case

If the form such as brain off button comes up in the field of peace, so be it. There is no resistance to this form (brain off button), there is also no resistance to a mind preference for pressing this brain off button when there is too much thinking when experiencing physical pain. As long as you remember who you really are (the field of peace, unmanifested)

Not resisting the form (brain off button) does not mean I need to cling to it. As I have mentioned, after pressing this off button so many times, the intention to pressing this button but not actually say the sentence "I wonder what my next thought is" is already enough to enter peace, so in a sense this brain off button form is already dying.

I can say "I just need to watch" when this off button is dead (and some other form comes up), but I don't need to wait till the ultimate future to say that. I can say "I just need to watch" NOW, while this off button is not dead yet.

weichen

demise of "watching the mind"

Post by weichen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Demise of "watching the mind"

"Watching the mind" is a good portal to peace, however, after a person cultivate ONENESS consciousness, the drawback of "watching the mind" becomes obvious.

VAST ONENESS consciousness (vast silent empty universe watching itself) is not particularly interested to watch one person's mind. "Watching the mind intensely" requires a high alertness, it is implcitly too serious, its emphasis on one particular person comes from the implicit separation paradigm.

"Watching the mind" leads to peace only when it is successful. But vast silent empty universe watching itself leads to peace, joy (comfortable sense of being at home), and love simultaneously.

to go to another post: cultivate ONENESS CONSCIOUSNESS, CLICK
viewtopic.php?t=940

din

Post by din » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:41 pm

"Watching the mind" is a good portal to peace, however, after a person cultivate ONENESS consciousness, the drawback of "watching the mind" becomes obvious.
Thoughts are just like anything else "out there". They are to be allowed. If the mind is very active, then the mind is very active. It doesn't take away from the Truth of your being.

Love your posts, weichen.
:)

Anois

Post by Anois » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:08 pm

My experience of consciousness is that it is independent of thought. It doesn't need to be watching thought to exist. Thoughts may come or go, it matters not.

din

Post by din » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Anois!!!

You thoughtless bastard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anois

Post by Anois » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:37 pm

I tawt I taw a puddy cat -
)(*(*din$%din*&^*&din((*(*din din)(*^%din^%

Anois

Post by Anois » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:45 pm

What is a thought ?

An electrical impulse that is of no significance other what you make it to be.

Can you imagine attaching yourself to an electrical charge and perhaps dying by suicide because of a few milli amps of charge ?

It's preposterous!!

Thought needs to be put back in it's box and realised for what it is - NOTHING !

din

Post by din » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

What is a thought ?
It's trapped energy, trapped consciousness.

It's a bubble of trapped energy.

The little self is a thought.

It is consciousness, intelligence, that is trapped in a bubble, in a little entity.

Anois

Post by Anois » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:03 am

Thought is
It's trapped energy, trapped consciousness.
I would say that trapped consciousness is not thought itself. Rather it is consciousness identifying with thought.

Thought itself is the fuel that maintains the illusion. But what is it ? Where does it come from ?

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:55 am

Try to find the thinker. If there is no thinker, what need is there for thought?

hayduke

even the buddha had thoughts

Post by hayduke » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:33 am

there is a poster of swami you-name-it on the north shore of hawaii on a longboard. it says" YOU CANT STOP THE WAVES BUT YOU CAN LEARN TO SURF"
this too shall pass

phil

Post by phil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:40 pm

Weichen asked, "What is the best off button for the brain?" It's a great question, thanks.

Let's focus on the question for a moment. Weichen asked to turn his brain off. Off.

Not give his brain something grander, bigger, more profound, insightful, subtle and wise to chew on.

Off. That's what he asked for. Off.

It seems the worlds of philosophy, psychology and religion are very rich in mind food, and are quite seductive to big picture thinkers like you and I. Thus, they may be poor tools to turn to if the goal is turning off thought.
Who am I? You don't exist, and you must realize that! There is no time! We must accept that we don't want to accept, and all is as it should be, and that's why we need to radically transform human beings and reach enlightenment, so the New Earth will come sometime in the future!
As fun as all this is, and it is indeed fun, what does it really have to do with ending thought now?

If we want to go on a calorie diet, we don't buy a truck load of pecan pies. If we want to go on a thought diet, why buy a truck load of books full of thoughts?

So, what then?

How about dumping all the thought based remedies (philosophy, psychology, religion, etc) and changing to a physical approach?

If I patiently work out with weights, a little bit each day, my muscles gradually grow. It's not the least bit complicated, and thus requires very little thought. Lift the weights => muscles grow. That's the whole equation. We could teach it to a 5 year old in 30 seconds.

If I patiently sit and watch my breathing, a little bit each day, gradually my mind finds it's off buttons.

Sit and watch => off buttons.

Thoughts are an electro-chemical process in the brain, a physical process, just like muscle growth. With a little practise, we can control both.

Simple, clear and direct.

Why complicate it with a bunch of thoughts?

WAIT! STOP! Don't read this post full of thoughts!

Oops, darn, oh well, too late..... :-)

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:28 pm

Let's get philsical (new word).

The image of a sledgehammer comes to mind.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave