Are We Stimulating Mind Activity?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
flower

Are We Stimulating Mind Activity?

Post by flower » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:17 pm

I've been thinking (and I know I shouldn't)......

Do you think that through these discussions we are actually stimulating a lot of mind activity and massaging our egos and even sometimes feeding our pain bodies?

In other words are we doing something that is quite contrary to Eckhart's teachings?

And if we are, what is the answer??

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:37 pm

By reducing involuntary negative thinking (thinking that is based on separation paradigm that is bound to fail due to disconnection with the true power of being. thinking that is not only wasting precious energy but also causing almost all the problems in life), our thinking becomes far more productive in creating more meaningful forms.

As far as total brain activity is measured, total brain activity is most likely significantly reduced. Many people adopt ET's oscilating approach (alternating between thinking mode and stillness mode) even when they are actively thinking. When they are not actively thinking, brain background thinking activity is much lower.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:07 pm

Hi Weichen,

So you think that we are learning to use our minds more productively through thinking about the things we discuss on this forum?

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Well it's a legitimate concern.

The best way to approach what we read before us, is to treat it in the same way as we would the readings of the PoN. That is, to read between the lines and absorb the essence of understanding, rather than come to some form of intellectual agreement.

We will all absorb something different from the same discussion, which is not to say we take up different positions and say one is right and another wrong. Rather we use those positions to share experience and gain a broader perspective and deep down understanding of what the 'whole' is.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi MacPopcorn,

Yes I think that's good.... observing your own reactions to what you're reading or writing, that makes good sense to me.

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:54 pm

flower wrote:So you think that we are learning to use our minds more productively through thinking about the things we discuss on this forum?
Excellent question. The answers to this question could be the guideline for posting in this forum. It is a complex question also, but let's get the ball rolling.

1. The impact of threads in this forum varies greatly. It depends on the thread, it also depend on the forum member.
a. many threads in this forum have well defined topis, some threads contain fuzzy lables that cripples them from the start.
b. many threads have practical examples, some threads' majority posts are pure conceptual discussion. I personally like to use examples whenever possible, pure conceptual discussion often oversimplify the situation and cause too much nonproductive thinking (as it is fighting a losing battle).
c. some threads are at the begining of its life cycle, when you read them, your thinking are stimulated. Some threads are at later stage of life cycle, when you read them, your doubts are cleared, you benefit from others' thinking or information (such as where is ET's free video online). For different reader, you may have very different opinion about the life cycle stage for each thread, because it is comparing with your current stage of understanding. To a beginer, just seeing a topics being thrown out may be a giant step forward.
d. Participation (not just reading the threads) is the key to increase the benefit. Through participation, you expose you thinking to criticism and comments. Even "advanced" ET fans learn to correct their misunderstanding of key ET concepts through participation in this forum. The best way to learn is to teach. When you post in a thread, you are engaging far more mind resource, and your growth in spirit field is much faster.

2. The impact of post is restricted by its hosting thread, but it also depends on some other factors.
a. length of the post. I like to read short or medium size posts.
b. structure of the post. I usually spend significant time editing each of my post before posting them. I usually skip posts that is very long without a clear structure. I like to write and read posts that at least attempts to put the entire thread into better broader perspective.
c. language of post. I enjoy posts that uses only common language that most users on this forum share a similar understanding. When I have to use certain fuzzy words, I add my understanding of the term witin (). Eg. when I mention the word love, I often add (love out of oneness) to clarify.
d. interactivity of post. Some post are more like monologue posts, I tend to maximize the interactivity by acknowledging other posts in the same thread as much as I can.
e. thank you post. I occasionally post thank you post, but make it very simple and non intrusive. It serve several purpose: give feedback to the person who help me (for giving me feedback, criticism), endorse the significance of the previous post (or the entire thread).

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:40 am

Yes, all of the above is true. However, I, for one, am benefiting from many of the posts. I am so glad I found this site and thank all of you for your input...

Luvs
...everything is everything, and nothing's nothing...

din

Post by din » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:56 am

I've been thinking (and I know I shouldn't)......

Do you think that through these discussions we are actually stimulating a lot of mind activity and massaging our egos and even sometimes feeding our pain bodies?

I asked that same question once.

And Chelsy/be_lank said "post, don't post what does it matter"

"Die".

ET:

"In my book The Power of Now, I mention ways in which you can maintain present moment awareness, but the main thing is to allow this new state of consciousness to emerge rather than believe that you have to try hard to make it happen. How do you allow it to emerge? Simply by allowing this moment to be as it is. This means to relinquish inner resistance to what is – the suchness of now. This allows life to unfold beautifully. There is no greater spiritual practice than this."
:)

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:00 am

Yes, good answer Din, there's nothing like getting back to the truth.

weichen

Post by weichen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:14 pm

How do you allow it to emerge? Simply by allowing this moment to be as it is
this moment means the entire universe at this moment, not one individual person at this moment.
rather than believe that you have to try hard to make it happen
try hard is individual's perspective, universe never try hard. Some member of this forum may find self trying hard to skip certain posts that has too many kisses and babbles, while other members crave for these posts to get into touch with joy and oneness. Some member may find structured thinking too hard, while other members may find unstructured thinking too hard. Some member may find spending time editing his posts trying too hard, other member may find posting without editing too hard to accept within his consciousness. Some members find changing his old way of doing in this forum too hard, other members find NOT adjusting his old way of doing in this forum (after new awareness of its impact on other forum members) too hard.

Flower,
Can you now see what we are doing in this forum ? A simple ET's quote does not mean much until it is used in this forum in various different situations. Being able to quote ET only means that you understand the lable, but not necessarily what ET truly wants to say. And through many rounds of back and forth discussion, we gain ever deepening understanding of ET.

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:30 pm

hulo 8)
Aha - to be or not to be - thinking or not thinking :wink:
whatever is IS :)

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Hi Weichen,
Can you now see what we are doing in this forum ? A simple ET's quote does not mean much until it is used in this forum in various different situations. Being able to quote ET only means that you understand the lable, but not necessarily what ET truly wants to say. And through many rounds of back and forth discussion, we gain ever deepening understanding of ET.
I suppose I don't really look for meaning in Eckhart's teachings - I don't intellectualise it, although I can see that it's quite fun to do that here. His teachings just take me straight there, no thinking in between. I don't think I'll develop a hotline to presence by thinking and discussing.

I think thinking and discussing does stimulate mind activity, egos and sometimes pain bodies, but that's OK to watch with awareness.

weichen

Intellectualizing is part of the power of PON

Post by weichen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:46 pm

Flower,

I think I may understand how you feel now. ET, after awakening from that night, spent a very long duration of time (maybe a few years) in deep peace with little interest in material world, with very little thinking (intellectualizing). Your current situation maybe somewhat similar to that.

PON is born out of the marriage of ET's deep connection with being and ET's strong intellectualizing power. Almost all of ET's teaching in PON has been presented by previous spiritual teachers in various different format, PON stands out partly because the spiritual truth in PON are expressed in great intellectual format. Intellectualizing is part of the power of PON.

Flower, I appreciate your response. I also would like to encourage other forum members to send me feedback using private messages. I have benefited greatly from these feedback that contains seemingly disjointed pieces of thoughts (i.e. in the format of: after reading this post xyz of yours, 3 thoughts flash through my mind, they are: 1, 2, 3). It may take a person too much time trying to organize these "unrelated" thoughts into a post, but it only takes a minute to send them to me in private messsages. The more feedback I get, the easier I can pump out new posts and new threads (that are very relavant to you) :)

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi Weichen,
I think I may understand how you feel now. ET, after awakening from that night, spent a very long duration of time (maybe a few years) in deep peace with little interest in material world, with very little thinking (intellectualizing). Your current situation maybe somewhat similar to that.
If only it was!!!! No I still get so confused with it all that my head hurts. But when I read or listen to Eckhart stillness just arises and sometimes it arises at other times. It's not through any thoughts, it's through the mind stopping and the sun coming out. Thinking never takes me there. Sometimes I'm not even absorbing the content of what he is saying - I can re-read the PON without getting bored because the content doesn't get absorbed. It's the field of stillness that transmits itself through 'the spaces between the words' as he puts it, not the words themselves.

But perhaps a more intellectual approach is right for other people.

weichen

Post by weichen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 pm

Flower,
You might want to consider chunking.

When you listen to audio book of Power of NOW, you can listen to chapter one and repeat that for 3-4 times, then do chapter two 3-4 times. Then go through chapter one and two together once. Then listen to chapter three 3-4 times....

The key is to slow down, don't listen to next chapter unless you are fairly familiar with the early chapters. The order is very important. The early chapter lays the foundation for later chapters.