Are We Stimulating Mind Activity?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Have you listened to Stillness Speaks? I feel this is an excellent way to drop between the words and into stillness itself. Each chapter is short, and each entry within each chapter is very short, with deliberate pauses built in between each. Simply listen and don't stress or worrry about understanding what is said. Keep attention on the words - at some point you will notice that during the pauses "You" are still here and thought is nowhere to be found.
flower wrote:No I still get so confused with it all that my head hurts.
This is what happens when you try to understand it mentally.
flower wrote:But when I read or listen to Eckhart stillness just arises and sometimes it arises at other times. It's not through any thoughts, it's through the mind stopping and the sun coming out. Thinking never takes me there.
Yes! There is no need to understand anything first. It is the stillness/silence that is the key, and that gets overshadowed by trying to understand it.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Kiki,

Yes, I love Stillness Speaks (I have the book not the recording). It's so utterly pure.
flower wrote:
No I still get so confused with it all that my head hurts.

Kiki wrote:
This is what happens when you try to understand it mentally.

Yes, I know that in my mind! But it still happens; it's good in a way because it's so uncomfortable that it brings me back to the teachings.

Narz

Post by Narz » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:07 pm

I keep my mind sharp with chess and other board games. :)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm

"Do you think that through these discussions we are actually stimulating a lot of mind activity and massaging our egos and even sometimes feeding our pain bodies? "

Good question. From my own experience (which is all I can speak from) in the begining the mind is wirling in a great deal of activity anyway so this can be used to take in the teachings on an intellectual basis. When you understand enough intellectually then you can gain some faith in it and gradually drop the thinking.

Some discussion is ego massaging but this is increasingly seen and dropped. A simple guide when posting is to ask 'am I trying to prove a point?' (if so you often also feel the pressure inside).

As for feeding the pain body ask yourself 'am I stating the facts or telling a story?' (again watch for the feeling inside).

Ultimately the need to discuss fades away as you realise you cannot get the answers from anyone else.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi AndyD,

Speaking for myself, the ego is definitely stirred up by taking part in this. At the same time because of what we're discussing, I'm very aware of the ego being stirred up! So it makes good practice in a way. Also, there are some good bits of advice to be had from others and some good insights.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 pm

I think too it's important to 'be a light unto yourself' rather than always seeking answers in others; it's important to know what doesn't need to be known and what does need to be known, and sometimes simply to surrender to the not knowing.

din

Post by din » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:02 am

"Do you think that through these discussions we are actually stimulating a lot of mind activity and massaging our egos and even sometimes feeding our pain bodies? "
Ok, let's all stop posting and just sit quietly forever. :D

Can the ego get rid of the ego?

Is there anything we can do really?

Does it matter at all whether we post or not?

Do you want to be free or not?

What do you want?

That's all that counts.
:)

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:17 pm

I think too it's important to 'be a light unto yourself' rather than always seeking answers in others; it's important to know what doesn't need to be known and what does need to be known, and sometimes simply to surrender to the not knowing.
Flower, perfect!
Others tell there version, but you have your answers.
The surrender instead of trying to attain is the key.
When I come here and read, I am struck by the posts that are
answered from awareness and those that come from the ego.

They are very easy to discern.

Ego always states things with a "look at me" "pay attention to me" sort of tone, while awakened replys are soft certain and sure as they come from
a place that isn't of the mind and a place that doesn't need protecting.
There are both types of posters in this thread.