Ten Years of Inner Body Awareness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Ten Years of Inner Body Awareness

Postby HowToKnowGod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 pm

So, I've been practicing inner body awareness for a decade now.

I bought The Power of Now over 10 years ago, and I can still easily remember how fascinated I was with the book. I gobbled it up. It was as if finally the perfect book, the perfect spiritual answer came to me. I had been tired of the never-ending stream of spiritual and/or self-help books. TPON was an answer to my desire for one spiritual practice to bring it all together.

Anyway, it's hard to say if it's actually been of benefit. Sometimes I long for those old days when I was in love with my girlfriend, embarking on an exciting "life situation", etc.

All the same worries, and more, are still here.

One interesting thing about inner body awareness is that it's been automatic ever since reading the book. It's like I can't not do it. Whenever I find myself in a sudden troublesome situation, I go deeper into the body, and that probably helps me disassociate with negativity and avoid problems that I may have got into before this knowledge.

Overall though, particularly when I look at my peers around me, I don't seem to be doing all that well. I seem to always be plagued by worry, guilt, money problems, work problems, family problems, accommodation problems, social isolation, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if I never found Tolle, if I would've been living life more happily.

I honestly couldn't say to a lot of my peers that I'm better off than they are because of knowing what I know. I doubt many of them could ever believe that, when they see that their own life situations are more comfortable than mine.

Sometimes I look at others who have been into this inner body awareness thing. There are a lot of meditators out there, a lot of people interested in these spiritual things like satsung. They all seem so much more well-off than me too. They have houses and don't even think of it, good jobs, etc. We seem to be equals at satsung, then they go home to their own house with their savings in the bank, with whatever they've wanted in life, then I go to a small room in someone's basement, just barely paying the rent for even that.

So, what gives?
HowToKnowGod

Re: Ten Years of Inner Body Awareness

Postby cam23 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I understand where your coming from but where your coming from is still just ego or past conditioning, beliefs, whatever you want to call it. In the words of mooji "nothing can erase you or cover you up. These are just thoughts."

I do experience similar thoughts and emotions to what your describing. But these feelings always come and go. Some days I feel very apathetic and other days I have tons of energy. It always goes back to awareness though which is beyond concepts. It is the godly principle within. Don't compare yourself to anyone because we are all the same beyond forms.

I do understand where your coming from though. Sometimes it seems difficult not to feel this way because forms always seem like what the human existence is based on. Also trying to attain more to find yourself but you can never be satisfied in forms. It's claustrofobic (don't know if I spelled that right lol) when your identified with the body mind.

For me "personally" lol, it doesn't seem fair that I am expected to do something in this world like work, get married, have kids, etc. But this is also ego. I see that I am not obligated to anything, not even god. There is nothing to do about what you are (another mooji quote).
cam23

Postby Serenity 247 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 am

It sounds like you've really gotten the hang of inner body awareness, so perhaps you could now focus on some other important things you learned in The Power of Now. You mention that you long for "those old days." Here's what Eckhart Tolle suggests:

To the ego, the present moment hardly exists. Only past and future are considered important. This total reversal of the truth accounts for the fact that in the ego mode, the mind is so dysfunctional. It is always concerned with keeping the past alive, because without it, who are you?...The more you are focused on time--past and future--the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.

You also mention being plagued by worry, guilt, money problems, etc. Here's another quote:
"Your life situation may be full of problems, most life situations are, but find out if you have any problem at this moment. Not tomorrow or in ten minutes, but now. Do you have a problem now?...Focus your attention on the Now and tell me what problem you have at this moment. I am not getting any answer because it is impossible to have a problem when your attention is fully in the Now.
Peace, love and sandy feet.
Serenity 247

Postby Maiken » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 am

HowToKnowGod wrote:I honestly couldn't say to a lot of my peers that I'm better off than they are because of knowing what I know.

What do you mean by this? What do you know?
Maiken

Postby HowToKnowGod » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Thank you.

I've never really got that question about focusing on the now and not having problems in the now. I understand it intellectually, but I haven't really realized it. When I think of the problems right now, I think, well, I have a money problem. That's now. I understand intellectually that nobody's banging at my door asking for money right now, but I still feel guilt now about my money situation. That guilt does seem to be right now, not just in the past and future. Or, there's the fact that I feel empty without a girlfriend right now.

Regarding what I wrote earlier, about what I know...

I know that my thoughts and feelings aren't my true self, that my true self is that which observes everything. So, I also know that my true self is not anything I've written about here, because I can observe it. Some people know this, but the majority of people don't, and so get totally caught up in whatever situation they're in. It seems to be strange to me though because I will see these unobservant people, who sometimes get all caught up in things, but overall are living healthy, happy lives, whereas there's this "little me" who knows these great spiritual truths, yet doesn't seem to be as happy.
HowToKnowGod

Postby Maiken » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Have you tried Byron Katie´s The Work? Visit her website and see if that could help you. There are videos which show The Work in practice, like "You need more money, is that true? and plenty of others.
Maiken

Postby HowToKnowGod » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks. Yes. I'm very familiar with "The Work". I've been doing that for years too. I wonder where I'd be if I never came across Tolle or Katie. I guess I'd be taking the "negative" things in my life even worse. :)
HowToKnowGod

Postby HowToKnowGod » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:53 pm

New statement to challenge in the Work: "People who are less than I am get more than I do in life."
HowToKnowGod

Postby TylerDurden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I see some honesty in your posts here, HowToKnowGod. I also see some unexamined beliefs which you may have just taken someone else's word for. My question for you is, what are you looking for? Are you just looking to be more happy and have a lesser shade of ego than the masses, or are you looking for the truth? Maya has many layers. By reading Tolle's books many transcend a lot of the obvious layers, but are just presented with other, more allusive ones. The problem with going half way, as you have experienced, is that there is a truthful side to you that won't let you get away with the lies (seeing that you're no better than those who are not on any spiritual path). The truth will always hurt until you accept all of it.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
TylerDurden

Postby HowToKnowGod » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:47 am

There is a desire to have this little self more happy. There is consciousness watching this desire. I'm pretty much constantly feeling my inner body. There is an acknowledgement of that. There is a desire for this life to just end. There is a recognition of an unwillingness to go through the difficulties of ending it all, and an unsureness if any action could end it all. There is observance of that desire. There is confusion relating to why someone as aware as I am also has to deal with so much crap. There is the observer watching that confusion.

What can I say, really?
HowToKnowGod

Postby cam23 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Do u define yourself as a victim of this world or as the world?
cam23

Postby HowToKnowGod » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:04 am

I am the presence behind all of "my" thoughts, feelings, perceptions. Sometimes there is a sense of "I" which gets caught up in these things.
HowToKnowGod

Postby mikeywiff » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:00 am

HowToKnowGod wrote: Sometimes I long for those old days when I was in love with my girlfriend, embarking on an exciting "life situation", etc.

Are you no longer in love with your girlfriend?
mikeywiff

Postby peleke4 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Tolle's state of consciousness had a total transformation. However, his life situation remained the same for many years before his inner state of consciousness started reflecting the outer.

Also, I too have been practicing innerbody awareness for some time now. From my experience, inner body awareness in itself won't lead to transformation. Questioning and examining your limiting beliefs will. Someone already mentioned Byron Katie's The Work. Check it out!
peleke4

Postby mikanike23 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:42 am

Lol, this is sad. 10 years of your life wasted, no offense. Go use your brain. Use logic to understand humanity.. this shit's rediculus.
mikanike23

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion