Ten Years of Inner Body Awareness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Ten Years of Inner Body Awareness

Postby peleke4 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Maybe his 10 year rut would have caused so much pain and suffering to break through ego
peleke4

Postby Blenderhead » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Seldomly human beings pick their own path 100%, the whole of society influences our choices.
Blenderhead

Postby Pako Chubi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:45 am

Well, it seems that you got your attention pretty much on your inner body, and maybe you can stay quite present for some periods of time... So you quite get it...
But it also seems that you are stuck in it. I mean, 10 years practicing inner body awareness and you have the same problems? No ectasy, no powerful and insightful moments in that 10 years? Still thinking that having a girlfriend would make you happier?
Time to move on!! Make changes in your life, bro... Not EVERYTHING is about being aware and present...You also got to act according to your state of consciousness.

LIVE LIFE WITH INTENSITY. Don't get stucked in the same again and again, being pulled by your thoughts and your old and rancid desires. Do something man. Don't like your life situation? THEN DO SOMETHING TO CHANGE IT. Use your power, the power of now. That's what's all about... Not becoming enlighted or having success in anything.
IS ABOUT USING THE POWER OF NOW, becouse you already have it, becouse you ARE it.
Travel, do some art or whatever you really like, meet people and talk to them, discover new activities, well... everything your consciousness can put in your mind :wink:

te mando un abrazo enorme :D
Pako Chubi

Postby HowToKnowGod » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've wasted 10 years of my life?

Well, first of all, time is an illusion, right?

I'm the kind of guy that looks ten years younger than his actual age, so...

I've just chose to do things a little differently than most of my peers. A lot of them chose to get a job after university and stick with it, saving money, getting a home, having kids, etc. I chose to move to a fairly different country, experience a new culture, take life a little more easily at times, go back to school to do something a lot of people only dream of, and so naturally I'm at a point where I don't have much money, but I've got experiences that a lot of them don't have whatsoever.

I've had insight and some very good times in the last decade. I've at least partially learnt a new, complex language. I've met a wide variety of people. I've taken lots of beautiful photos. I've seen some of the pitfalls people get into. I've learnt how to deal with difficult situations much better than some people, and certainly better than I would have when I was younger.

I've had a few "zen moments". These are moments of absolute peace, regardless of what's happening around me. Sometimes I wonder if Tolle is living in an almost perpetual zen moment or not. Mine have been short and not so frequent, but very powerful. Just knowing that those moments exist is good knowledge.

I'm at the point right now where I'm on the verge of a new, exciting career. Whether I was slow or not in the past to get to this point is beside the point. I'm here now. I got through a disease. It's left my body. I've given up old negative roles that I used to play. I've learnt how to live life lightly, so don't have much baggage at all (physically and mentally).

I've parted paths with some people, jobs, etc. in the past decade. Some of those people probably could've benefited from me staying around more than I would've benefited from that. Especially with jobs, I always seem to be the kind of person where employers don't really recognize my value until I've left the position. That works well for my resume, as whoever filled my position often makes me look much better in comparison, and the companies sort of long to have me back.

As I noted before, one of the most amazing, practical things about Tolle, or any other teachings that lead to a clear observation of the mind, is being able to deal with difficult situations much more easily. Sometimes I watch people in disbelief. Grown adult couples fighting with each other over the most trivial issues, and actually really believing that these issues are so important, when they're nothing. Tolle also comes in handy in any situation where in the past I could've felt attacked. If there's no "self" to be attacked, then the whole situation just dissolves into thin air sometimes.

I don't know if any of you have come across this too. I'm sure Tolle knows it, as do other spiritual teachers, and just a lot of common people, but a very interesting thing for me is noting that whenever someone complains about something, it's ALWAYS about the complainer, not me, or whatever or whomever they're complaining about. It's almost comical. You see someone complaining about something, then soon realize that they're really complaining about themselves. Sometimes it's exactly the same issue, sometimes it's just the same basic issue, but manifest in a different way. That's awesome to remember when someone comes along complaining. When I was younger I used to take all complaints personally. I would believe them automatically. Now I'm much more objective and constructive when it comes to that sort of thing.

When given a certain set of circumstances, I always seem to deal with it better than most people do. I know my needs, I take care of them. Again, I've learnt how to live life lightly, which is a great way to live. The fact is, if I was given a job in a beautiful place like Hawaii, I'd know how to get up and go take it. I'm very practical in lots of situations where my peers would be stuck because they've been living the same general lifestyle for years and have got quite attached to things being a certain way.

Not only that, but if you looked at how stubborn my father is, and how mental my mother is, there would be no choice but to be surprised at how well I do things, and the kinds of things I've accomplished in my life, particularly over the past 15 years or so.

I've learnt how to conquer fears, I've learnt to drop negative beliefs, I've learnt that what formerly I really believed to be impossible is now possible, I've made better friends, I've got to know what's really important to me in life, I've eaten tons of delicious food from various cultures :), I've pretty much avoided the same-old-same-old lifestyles that almost everyone falls into, I've pursued dreams, I've learnt how to stand on my two feet after being knocked down, I've learnt to see lovers' and others' advice with a grain of salt, I've avoided being pressured into unwanted situations, and more.

Anyway, just a different perspective on things. Have a great day, everyone. All the best in observing the mind/body.
HowToKnowGod

Postby Thorzen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Since you've written this, i'm going to assume you would like help to get you past this.

This is probably going to hit pretty hard, but it will only hit the illusion in you that you have been cultivating.

As you have probably expected somewhere deep inside you, you have not been practicing inner body awareness in it's effective form. It is very possible to do it wrong, even though it is such a simple thing, you would not be able to believe it.

You also have an inferiority complex, which you cover up to us / yourself by saying things such as "I handle things better than people" and so on. The truth is, you're not sure whether you do, and you're feeling there's something wrong with you, and you are not as good as others. This wound in you needs to be exposed and felt as it is - stop covering it up with attempts and rationalizing to yourself that you are better than others, it isn't working, and even if it was, it would just be more ego to make you suffer.

Inner body awareness has one incredibly important factor that many people, including myself at the start, don't do right. Feeling the inner body as a method, would have to be called a tantric method if you were to categorize it. In spirituality, there are two categories, Yoga and Tantra, as you may or may not know. Yoga is about effort, and Tantra is about effortlessness.

Yoga goes through a long period of effort, and in the end attains to effortlessness.

Tantra starts out with effortlessness and attains without any struggle, discipline and hard work.

BUT the important thing is, that Yoga and Tantra exist because some people cannot do Tantra, and some people cannot do Yoga. You are a pretty hardcore egoist. That's not an insult, by the way, but it is the mark of someone who resonates more with Yoga. I suggest you find a meditation technique that involves effort, such as Vipassana, focusing on the breath, or other such similar, because I believe it will be better for you, until you reach to a break in ego that gives you the thirst for effortlessness. But right now, I think effort is a better path for you. I can reccommend these two for example

http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner ... e_no-1.htm

This one is done in isolation (at home)

http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner ... ue_no6.htm

And this one is done in activity (the world)

Alternatively, if I am incorrect and you are in fact thirsting for the effortlessness of being, relaxed, flowing, grace, then you must change the way you practice inner body awareness. Inner body awareness instantly takes you beyond all the problems you are describing, so your practice is either incorrect, or unsuitable for you.

The way to practice inner body awareness is to be effortless. Your thirst to just be, to just flow, your desire to feel consciousness, to feel yourself, is the only thing you need, just follow that in. Allow that to be there, and guide you into the body, then very softly, almost as if not there, allow your attention to flow into your body. Don't ever try to pressure it, or feel strongly, or force it or be rough with your attention - no, it must be soft, like landing on a cloud. It must be effortless, it must flow into your body, no rush, no time, no desire to be anything but present, happy, and fulfilled in the moment.

Hope this gets to you, and sorry if some of it hurt, but I hope you are more willing to improve your life than you are to fight for your ego.
Thorzen

Postby HowToKnowGod » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 am

Thanks for your reply. No, it didn't hurt. It just sounded like someone giving advice.

I like using Byron Katie's "The Work" process sometimes. You could say that's a form of effort.

I've done Vipassana. That was an interesting experience. It was basically just inner body awareness, just very focused, and in a setting of silence for several days. I'm happy I did it.

I'm almost always in some form of inner body awareness. It's effortless in the sense that although I'm not always feeling good, I just wake up in my body in a way I never had been prior to reading TPON way back 10 years or so ago. That's a very interesting thing to me, that it's always there.

I don't know what to say about all of this now, but have a nice day anyway. Take care.
HowToKnowGod

Postby ashley72 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:24 am

Thorzen wrote:The way to practice inner body awareness is to be effortless. Your thirst to just be, to just flow, your desire to feel consciousness, to feel yourself, is the only thing you need, just follow that in. Allow that to be there, and guide you into the body, then very softly, almost as if not there, allow your attention to flow into your body. Don't ever try to pressure it, or feel strongly, or force it or be rough with your attention - no, it must be soft, like landing on a cloud. It must be effortless, it must flow into your body, no rush, no time, no desire to be anything but present, happy, and fulfilled in the moment.

Thorzen,

I was first introduced to inner-body awareness by reading PON. I then went online and found a few video's which were also helpful. But IMO, these practices still had some focus on an outer body.... In other words, the outer-body was never negated.

Note: Awareness is formless so all objects need to be negated.

I finally understood the "inner-body" pointer directly after reading Ananda's thread. His simply pointer was... "look for your face without a mirror." When you follow this pointer to its endpoint. You don't actually find a face or head for that matter. You find a formless void where the head/face resides. This is achieved by turning the arrow of attention 180 degree back to where the head/face resides and taking a fresh look. What do you find? I find a void.... but not an empty void.... the void has capacity for the whole world. This is not a space (XYZ).... it is both spaceless & timeless. Therefore a better pointer might be Threshold or Gestalt.

This shift in the observers reference point....merges the object & subject. There is a sudden shift in perception and you no longer perceive yourself as an individual moving in the world..... the world is moving inside you. This is direct seeing. You're perception is completely aligned with the Present Moment... without the addition of a concept of a head/face (former NOW - is Imaginary mental image of your face from looking in a mirror or taken from a photo).

Ananda's comment on what to expect...

If you keep looking at yourself in this way, then all objects become negated, the mind is silenced, and you become everything- a luminous, all-pervading, essential awareness.
ashley72

Postby bennymo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am

One interesting thing about inner body awareness is that it's been automatic ever since reading the book. It's like I can't not do it. Whenever I find myself in a sudden troublesome situation, I go deeper into the body, and that probably helps me disassociate with negativity and avoid problems that I may have got into before this knowledge.

I guess there is a misunderstanding on your side. The idea is not to disassociate - just the opposite. Go deep inside the negative feelings and stay connected with your inner body. Don't use it as a method to avoid negativity. The negativity will disolve when felt to the end, but it will feed your pain body, if you avoid it.

Benny
bennymo

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion