What is oneness?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

What is oneness?

Postby mikeywiff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 pm

One of the things I have never truly grasped (despite reading both Tolle books twice) is the concept of oneness. Or maybe I do understand it but it scares me. Is oneness, one life. In other words, I am you, you are I. My mother, brother, sister, cousin, gran, etc, there is just one life and those are all false me's, egos. Or does it mean, all life is the same energy source; it is the same energy source in all of us.
mikeywiff

Re: What is oneness?

Postby snowheight » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:42 am

I can offer you a few different takes on this.

The first is the simple recognition of the fallacy of your separation from all that you perceive as being "out there". Can you live without the air that surrounds you? Can you picture yourself outside of creation? Yes, all that surrounds you includes "other people".

But this idea of oneness, no matter how exactly it's stated, is just a concept, one that might fool your mind into believing that it understands this. Here is a recent thread and a recent post that elaborate on that.

This being said, another conceptualization to consider is exactly what is meant by the current physical theory of creation, the big bang. Every atom, every inch of space, was, at the beginning of time, all at one place. Modern attempts to extend this, known as String Theory, all model the building blocks of reality not by actual separate little pieces but in vibrating segments of one big entity.

There are lots of writers on this topic who will tell you that there is no you, and that there is only one life -- if you have any interest, you might search on the word "paradox" in this forum to see explanations of how they are both right and wrong about this at the same time.

Here is one last way to understand the concept of "oneness" (and thereby mislead yourself to some extent) -- before Einstein and Bohr, the science of physics was based on the work of Isaac Newton, who started with the baseline commonsense assumptions that there are these quantities called space and time which are immutable and independent of the observer. In Newton's view, which is still the default ("commonsense") view of most people, we are all multiple instances of consciousness occurring within and with the common experience of one shared physical reality. The work of Einstein, but especially the work of Bohr, concluded that there is no physical reality without a conscious observer. So if reality is dependent on consciousness, and we all share the same reality, what does that say about consciousness?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 am

Here's another take - from Neale Donald Walsch...
I'm liking the notion of 'divided from' rather than 'separate from'

Notes From Neale
Hello my wonderful friends...
One of the questions I am asked by people such as yourself--people who are genuinely embarking on a spiritual path--is: How can I be God-like? What is it like to be Divine? I'm going to answer that question today, with what God told me. You see, I asked Her the same question. And fortunately for all of us, He answered.

Divinity, God said, seeks nothing for Itself. Human beings will find it difficult to seek nothing for themselves so long as they imagine themselves to be human. That is because humans imagine themselves to have needs. Divinity does not. Divinity has no such thought about Itself. (Nor any such thought about you, either.)

So in order for Humanity to seek nothing for itself, humans must understand themselves to be Divine. They must understand that Humanity is not separate from the Divine, but IS divided from the Divine. This sometimes helps people wrap their minds around the concept of our Oneness with Divinity.

Many folks have a very difficult time seeing themselves as Divine. Yet if you tell them that they are part of that which is Divine, many people can go there. They can hang out in that place. They can embrace the concept. Partial magnificence is acceptable, total magnificence is not.

So we might say, for our purposes here, that Humanity is a Division of the Divine. That Which Is Divine created many divisions of Itself, and one of those divisions is called Humanity.

Even as a large company or corporation may have a division here and a division there without any of those divisions being in any sense separate from, or other than, the whole, so, too, does the Divine have a division here and a division there without any of those divisions being in any sense separate from, or other than, The Whole.

It is possible to be a division of something without being separated from it.
That's an important concept for you to grasp if you are to have the Holy Experience. Please let me say it again. I said...

"It is possible to be a division of something without being separated from it."
Think about that for a minute. Hold that concept in your mind.
Humanity, as a Division of Divinity, is neither separate from, nor other than, The Whole.

This is the one thing that most of Humanity has not understood. This is the one thing that most of Humanity's religions have not taught. In fact, most of those religions have taught exactly the opposite. They have taught that Humanity IS Separate from Divinity.

Some have called this separation The Fall of Man, and in that description they are correct. The idea of Humanity's separation from Divinity has been humanity's downfall.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby sunwalker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Mikeywiff,

You posted: One of the things I have never truly grasped (despite reading both Tolle books twice) is the concept of oneness. Or maybe I do understand it but it scares me. Is oneness, one life. In other words, I am you, you are I. My mother, brother, sister, cousin, gran, etc, there is just one life and those are all false me's, egos. Or does it mean, all life is the same energy source; it is the same energy source in all of us.

Here is my quick pennyworth.

Yes to ‘it is all the same source’ - the Whole, the Mystery, Oneness

Yes to ‘one-life’ - one is all, all is one - in fact the mountains as well as the lions and us are one - ‘We are star-stuff made conscious.’

The false ego negatives come through fear. Letting go of the negatives, the shadow self, that boundary-ise us = experiencing Oneness. When the illusion of separateness has gone you can’t not be One.

It is scary because it appears to mean complete annihilation, but it is only annihilation of the egotistic self and even then it is the negatives of that self. Why only the negatives? Because even the ego has a good form - it helps us get from place to place, and negotiate, and prevents us bumping into too many things. The stuff to go is the negatives emotions, feelings about self, others and the universe.

Oneness most importantly is the experience of no-self - the letting go of our boundaries of self and no-self.

-0-
sunwalker

Postby odemira » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm

'Oneness' is seen to be as it is, a directly seen matter of fact, when a shift in persective has happened in how what you previously thought of as 'you' experience the world. It is clearly seen then that all that is visible is one continuous image containing a range of interconnected shapes and colours and textures that previously the mind labelled as 'chair', 'wall', 'sky' etc. This image also contains a pair of hands, a body, legs, feet - but no face. It is a multi-sensory experience, sounds are heard, sensations are felt both externally and internally, plus movements of energy that we call feelings are felt, plus thoughts float across an invisible space. The hands move, a voice speaks - but it is completely impersonal and totally joyous. There is nothing for the ego to be afraid of in letting go into this.
odemira

Postby nutrition » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:15 pm

yes Odemira, this is the best description I have ever read and it coincides with what I experienced often these past three days. Just as you described it.
I get many glimpses of this during the day but I do not sustain it indefinitely. I go in and out of this.

Blessing
nutrition

Postby hanss » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 pm

The Truth is far more all-encompassing than the mind could ever comprehend. No thought can encapsulate the Truth. At best, it can point to it. For example, it can say: "All things are intrinsically one." That is a pointer, not an explanation. Understanding these words means feeling deep within you the truth to which they point.

(E.T. - Stillness Speaks)
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)
hanss

Postby Gypsyblue » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

The experience of Oneness seems to come about through Grace. I doubt you can think your way to the experience.
Gypsyblue

Postby Sighclone » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 am

One of the things I have never truly grasped (despite reading both Tolle books twice) is the concept of oneness. Or maybe I do understand it but it scares me. Is oneness, one life. In other words, I am you, you are I. My mother, brother, sister, cousin, gran, etc, there is just one life and those are all false me's, egos. Or does it mean, all life is the same energy source; it is the same energy source in all of us.

Great comments, all. Special thanks, as often, to snowheight. Your capacity to organize and interconnect elements in this forum makes it much more coherent and really much much larger...thank you!!

The "concept of oneness" absolutely has to be scary to the ego. And the ego can discard it, too as silly and impossible. "Me, the same as my neighbor, that jerk, that is ridiculous. In fact it is so ridiculous that I am going to go punch him right now."

You have touched on one of the key conceptual obstacles to experiencing and understanding nonduality. I got "stuck" there conceptually for about a year. My cognitive release came from Tim Freke's "How Long is Now?" -- he discusses the "both/and" paradox, as opposed to the "either/or" paradox. I highly recommend it to you. Also, "Toward a Psychology of Awakening" by John Welwood. The issue is your "sense of self." Where did it start, and how is it maintained? Eckhart's suggestion (and many others') is to explore that...the "who am I" self-inquiry. The "I," the separate self, can be deconstructed. (Gary Weber's "Happiness Beyond Thought" and his blog are helpful here.) If the "I thought" can be deconstructed and its origin traced to something society requires, how fundamentally real can that be?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby unbornawakened » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Indeed, snowheight 's comments were to the point.

If I may add something to this discussion, it is an analogy. When one is dreaming, there appear to be many characters in the dream, separate from oneself. Upon waking up from the dream, one realizes that all characters were just the projections of the consciousness of the dreamer. There was only one consciousness, one self, the dreamer - all else was illusion.
unbornawakened

Postby smolek » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm

mikeywiff wrote:One of the things I have never truly grasped (despite reading both Tolle books twice) is the concept of oneness. Or maybe I do understand it but it scares me. Is oneness, one life. In other words, I am you, you are I. My mother, brother, sister, cousin, gran, etc, there is just one life and those are all false me's, egos. Or does it mean, all life is the same energy source; it is the same energy source in all of us.

Interesting :roll: ,life is king of energy :)
smolek

Postby rideforever » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Is the question : "If there is oneness - how come there is twoness ?"

When you are trying to understanding this question and similar ones ... you will see it doesn't work. That is because this mind that you are thinking with cannot understand it.

But this mind is something that you are 'puppeting' ... and you have been doing for a long time so you forget. But if you look closely you will remember and then you will drop out of it. And then you will understand what can be understood.

Many teachers have said there is not twoness. Except there is, obviously. But there is also oneness.

Like I said, you cannot understand it with this mind. And you cannot explain it with these words. But you can say, "Hey, do this ... " ... and that may cause another to look in the right place.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Sighclone » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Good stuff, ride!

The perception of twoness or manyness comes with the territory. Our eye can distinguish many frequencies of light. The mind can discriminate forever. It's just part of the game. We have the game board, the rules and the mind to play with all of it. That is the territory. And it is only "one" or "emptiness" when perceived from the level of pure unmanifested awareness. And using the word "level" in the previous sentence is wrong, because the "level" of awareness is not one of many levels, but rather the source of all levels.

However, the initial and repeated recognition of unity consciousness as our real home informs interactions and behavior as a separate self. The acceptance and peace of unity make the little hiccups in the relative world less able to actually cause stress.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion