Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Postby Sighclone » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 am

Distracted as we are by various thoughts, if we will continually contemplate the Self, which is itself God, this single thought will in due course eliminate all distraction and will itself ultimately vanish. The pure consciousness which alone finally remains is God. This is Liberation.

To stay constantly centered on one's own pure Self is the acme of yoga, wisdom, and all other forms of spiritual practice.

Even though the mind wanders restlessly, involved in external matters, and so is forgetful of its own Self, one should remain alert and remember;
the body is not 'I.'

Who am I? Inquire in this way turning the mind backward to its primal state. The inquiry 'who am I?' is the only method of putting an end to all misery and ushering in Supreme Beatitude.

- Ramana Maharshi
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Postby snowheight » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for that Andy.

It reminds me of this.

And this (particularly at 5:00 but the rest is there for context).

While what Ramana says is of course different, and from my experience, incredibly primary, I see these other perspectives as possible paths for those unfamiliar with Self-Inquiry to the motivation to initiate it.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby goldieflower » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm

... continually contemplate the Self

Thank you, Andy.

This is the only thing in my old kit bag, as I skip toward the cliff.
goldieflower

Postby Kutso » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Yeah, Ramana was really someone out of the ordinary. How I would have loved to sit at his feet.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.
Kutso

Postby snowheight » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Kutso wrote:Yeah, Ramana was really someone out of the ordinary. How I would have loved to sit at his feet.

When I first looked up his name after reading it on this forum I posted about the impact that just looking at his picture had ... it was wild reading (just a few weeks ago, and again, here) about what his followers had to say about the place where he passed. Nothing to get attached to though. :D
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby arel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:29 am

Thanks for the quote and its reminder Sighclone.

If we were to play with this message through Tolle's teaching, how might we say the same thing? I don't know if it is worth trying, it might simply be distracting, but nevertheless, it's fun to explore that and may be useful. I think Maharshi here is not addressing the "how to" revelation of the true self/identity. It's spoken to people that know. Don't you think? I'm pretty sure it's purposeful though, and it's beautiful in that way, makes that experiential...

So in Tolle's teaching I think by saying to be present, focus on the Now, it sets one up to see that "the Now is what we are". And then Tolle keeps saying, everywhere and throughout to be now, now, now, stay with that. And to me, Maharshi says the same thing in this your summary. Two very powerful teachings. I don't do them justice talking about them.
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Postby Sighclone » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 am

Eckhart's primary gift (and there are many) is his ability to communicate an immensely radical message in a calm, simple and encouraging way. His message to "stay in the Now" (however phrased) is certainly a way of stilling the mind. In its purest form, there is only awareness, not even any objects of awareness, in the present moment. There is not even the "concept" of the Self. There may be recognition, even abiding realization of the Self, but there is no concept of it.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby snowheight » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:50 am

Sighclone wrote:Eckhart's primary gift (and there are many) is his ability to communicate an immensely radical message in a calm, simple and encouraging way. His message to "stay in the Now" (however phrased) is certainly a way of stilling the mind. In its purest form, there is only awareness, not even any objects of awareness, in the present moment. There is not even the "concept" of the Self. There may be recognition, even abiding realization of the Self, but there is no concept of it.

Andy

That was profound Andy. Sublime, and I'm tempted, to say ... "kikiesque" ... :)
snowheight

Postby magicbutterfly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:32 am

What I like about ET is how succint he is. It's as if he is trying to use the mind as little as possible to present the teachings. All this wisdom in 125 pages of Practicing the Power of Now. It reminds me of a saying, "the older I get, the more I listen to those who speak the least." Amazing. :wink:
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby jimmyrich » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:00 am

Sighclone wrote:
To stay constantly centered on one's own pure Self is the acme of yoga, wisdom, and all other forms of spiritual practice. - Ramana Maharshi

A "pointer" doesn't get much better than that, IMO.
Thanks for the post.
:D jim
jimmyrich

Postby Sighclone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:19 am

That doesn't mean it is "easy to do" (staying constantly centered on one's own pure Self.) I believe, albeit without direct experience of him, that he did it better than pretty much everybody else. But even then, in his "body-mind" he had personality.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby karmarider » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 am

Well, here's a rather blasphemous idea. Ramana is not the best at explaining Ramana's technique. John Sherman has much clearer and simpler explanation.
karmarider

Postby Sighclone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 am

Not at all blasphemous. Ramana's English was stilted and overcomplicated...not so for JS.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby jimmyrich » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:19 am

Sighclone wrote:Who am I? Inquire in this way turning the mind backward to its primal state. The inquiry 'who am I?' is the only method of putting an end to all misery and ushering in Supreme Beatitude.

I have been reading and trying Ramana's teachings and methods for many years but have only recently made a breakthrough to "get" his message.
Now, when I stop to ask myself who/what am I?, I come up with: me=a little egoic person or this=Supreme Beatitude. Then I can either toss a coin on it or go for the one I believe I really am. Sometimes the one I really am is both obvious and FELT or becomes REAL - The Supreme. I guess I never knew that I had to FEEL the Reality or FEEL it stronger than my customary sense of a little ego so when I'd FEEL my little ego after asking the question, I assumed that was the answer because I never FELT a me beyond my personal self (accept in a couple of situations from the past)! I have long understood about Ramana's Supreme Self but, since I never FELT it, it just seemed like a wonderful but unreal Phantom whereas my little self was glaringly real to me. Now, the SUPREME is becoming more real than my little, egoic self. :)
jimmyrich

Postby Sighclone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 am

There is a growing consensus that awakening generally takes preparation. The charm and wonder of a Zen koan or powerful statement like Heidegger's in my signature block are sufficient to attract us. But hours of meditation or restorative yoga appear to help condition the brain to operate in a new "default mode network." Eckhart's experience was very rare. In reflection, it seems his mind was self-destructing, but a single cognitive parsing of an English phrase ("I can't live with myself any longer,") suggested that there were two "selves" and that maybe one of them was a "false self." It triggered a recognition of the Self, and actually caused him to faint. I think that the new default mode network began to form that first night for him and never really reverted. Pure speculation on my part.

But continued self-inquiry allows the mind to become a "thorn to remove a thorn," and eventually, perhaps for you, allow the brain to re-wire and realization of Self to abide. But even Tony Parsons, who announced that he woke up walking through a park actually spend years in contemplation and meditation beforehand.

Andy
Sighclone

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion