Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Postby TemporalDissonance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 am

Sighclone wrote:There is a growing consensus that awakening generally takes preparation. The charm and wonder of a Zen koan or powerful statement like Heidegger's in my signature block are sufficient to attract us. But hours of meditation or restorative yoga appear to help condition the brain to operate in a new "default mode network." Eckhart's experience was very rare. In reflection, it seems his mind was self-destructing, but a single cognitive parsing of an English phrase ("I can't live with myself any longer,") suggested that there were two "selves" and that maybe one of them was a "false self." It triggered a recognition of the Self, and actually caused him to faint. I think that the new default mode network began to form that first night for him and never really reverted. Pure speculation on my part.

But continued self-inquiry allows the mind to become a "thorn to remove a thorn," and eventually, perhaps for you, allow the brain to re-wire and realization of Self to abide. But even Tony Parsons, who announced that he woke up walking through a park actually spend years in contemplation and meditation beforehand.

Andy

My sense is that Eckhart was in severe depression and his mind was in overdrive, particularly given his experience in academia. Total speculation, but similar with the self-destructing mind you mentioned, that "I can't live with myself any longer" probably triggered a "self-destruct" or "kill" switch instantaneously like in some trauma or near death experiences where the "flip of the switch" happened.
TemporalDissonance

Re: Ramana Maharshi Summary Comment

Postby Sighclone » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 am

He was so blown out by it that he essentially sat on a park bench for two years. However, his integration back into society found him as a spiritual teacher, who could actually earn a living doing that. I know a few teachers, and consider that they have an advantage in a way. They get to talk about there being no ego and not have people laugh at them.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion