Do we have trolling rules?

All members are asked to be familiar with these rules and guidelines.

Do we have trolling rules?

Postby peas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I am wondering if we have trolling rules on these forums? I haven't been able to locate them.

Something along the lines of these points, among others:

A troll is someone who destroys the positive atmosphere of a forum community. They can be obnoxious and aggressive, or they can be passive aggressive in their attempts to always pull people away from their desired pathway.

Ways that trolling occurs include when posters try to draw people into an argument, when posters post off topic, when posters present silly scenarios and when posters copy and paste huge chunks of text to overwhelm the tone of a thread.

Here are some guidelines for avoiding troll-like behaviour:

• Posts should be on topic, according to the origiginal poster (OP). If a post is off topic it can be either split to another thread or deleted at the descretion of the moderators.
  • The ET forums are designed to encourage people to read and apply teachings of Eckhart Tolle. As such, excessive and overly negative criticism of key pointers such as awareness, presence and consciousness should be avoided. Posters can obviously present an alternative viewpoint, but in moderation and with compassion for the already confusing experience of people who visit these forums early in their journey. If excessive and overly negative posts are repeated throughout threads, in the interest of a general atmosphere of positivity, a poster will be asked by moderators to refrain from such behaviour.
peas

Re: Do we have trolling rules?

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

peas wrote:I am wondering if we have trolling rules on these forums? I haven't been able to locate them.

Here are the forum rules.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2051

Anything else as to how to handle forum posts and interaction between members is at the behest of the moderators. And before you take this discussion too far consider rule #12:

12. Public Discussion of the Moderators' Actions is Not Allowed
If you feel that there is a moderator whose actions are inappropriate, please contact another moderator or the admin privately. We do not allow public discussion of the moderator's actions. (or inaction)

WW
Webwanderer

Postby peas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:52 pm

No idea how that was relevant, but anyhow... there is no mention of trolling, which was my question. Can we add some trolling rules as per this part of the rules:

"These rules are incomplete. Each new rule is added as the necessity for it arises"
peas

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Personally I've found alternate view points to be greatly beneficial to my growth. Learning to love and respect contradictory views as the product of a Divine Being has been expansive for me.

Of course I respect whatever the moderators decide. I am their humble guest ;)

Love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby peas » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:48 am

EnterZenFromThere wrote:Personally I've found alternate view points to be greatly beneficial to my growth. Learning to love and respect contradictory views as the product of a Divine Being has been expansive for me.

Of course I respect whatever the moderators decide. I am their humble guest ;)

Love,

Jack

I do to. Otherwise I never would have reached where I am, if I had always heard the same voices saying the same thing.

However, trolling is a different matter alltogether. There are countless communities that already spell out what trolling behaviour is and why it should be avoided. I suggest this community put their attention on how trolling on this site may/is effecting its users.

We have a duty of care to those who come seeking guidance to do everything we can to minimise negativity and maximise helpfelness.

Dare I say, the photo and name of this forum represents the clear direction we should go in - one of peace. That is what I am proposing here - defining and moderating for peaceful behaviour in a sometimes unpeaceful world.
peas

Postby peas » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

It should also be pointed out the myriad of stories of people who have been deeply affected by trolling and cyberbullying.

If we do not spell out what these two behaviours are, and that they are completely unacceptable in this community, then we are closing our eyes in a potentially harmful way.

Not convinced? Just have a read of these few stories:

Hannah Smith, British Teen, Commits Suicide After Cyberbullying, Trolling; Dad Demands Justice
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... 14687.html

Australian model and actress who battled online bullying found dead
http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/c ... er-trolls/

Jessica Laney, 16, committed suicide after internet trolls taunted her
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rself.html
peas

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:44 am

Somehow what happens in this forum does not rise to the level of the links you provided. If anything it is you who are now doing the bullying with those kinds of references in an attempt to induce action. There is a long list of banned former members in our archives. There is no doubt room for more if a situation warrants it. But it's not your decision. You've made your concerns known and this forum's moderators will continue to monitor things as best we can. We will always act in the best interest of this forum.

If you believe there is a problem with his information, you are certainly free to point it out so long as you do so in a civil manor and are willing to make an fair case for you opinion. If you find instances of bullying you can flag the post for moderator review and we will gladly look at it more closely. If the situation becomes too concerning for you, or you don't approve of the environment here, there are always other forums in which you might contribute.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby peas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:00 am

Ok, now this is getting rediculous. Are you aware of what you are proposing? That by me bringing up a hole in the policy of this website, and showing good cause by linking to relevant cases, I am bullying.

It seems that we do not know what bullying is.

Bullying is not asking for a policy and giving cause.

Bullying is repeated unwanted attention.

I suggest we all relook at what I have said in my posts. Please consider this matter seriously, as I am clearly doing.
peas

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

I have considered it. Your concerns are noted. No further action will be taken at this time. Let it go.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Forum Rules and Guidelines