Non-judgemental awareness

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Re: Non-judgemental awareness

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 am

Michael Brown who is the author of 'The Presence Process' (check it out....pretty in depth process) says that our emotions work in a 7 year cycle. Most of the emotional stuff we deal with happens in the first 7 years of our life (I don't know if I agree with this or not), but he says that from 0-7 is the most impactful period emotionally for us and then the cycle gets renewed every 7 years after that, the age of 7-14 is where our mental body gets impacted the most, and age 14-21 is where our physical body does. Basically meaning, it all starts emotionally/vibrationally and spirals to everything else. So, what we carry emotionally will most certainly impact us physically. I'm starting to look at emotions as the cause of many of my health issues over the years.
Enlightened2B

Postby Onceler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 am

Absolutely emotions are tied to health. That is one of the areas I work on. I injured my knee and can't run right now. Running is incredibly important to me. It keeps me mentally, emotionally and physically fit. I also run once a week with a group of friends and the social aspect is very important. So I have heavy emotions about my knee which leads to maladaptive cognitive structures which, I believe, slow healing....thought constructs like; I'll never run again, my knee won't heal, I have to run to stay mentally and emotionally healthy or I'll be a basket case, and on and on ad nauseum.

Whereas I find that if I go to the emotional center of what it feels like to have an injured knee and just feel it, the primary emotion is pain and fear. This dissipates after a few seconds and there is a sort of energy buzz, rather subtle but distinct. Then I shift my attention away from my knee (purposefully) and think about something else, focus on my breathing, etc. I use this for other chronic and temporary health issues. It seems to free up my mind to be more flexible and optimistic and to try things that may help, or just to be okay with the situation as is. Sometimes I finish with a little mantra like, 'my knee is healing.' Which is quite true!
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:59 am

Nice Onceler. Thanks for sharing your current situation. I've had quite similar experiences with myself and physical ailments with flare ups of chronic conditions that I have, the thought processes go 'will this flare up end', 'what if this prevents me from going to work tomorrow', 'what if my weekend plans are ruined', 'why is my body not healing', etc. It's all fear based. It's funny that when you take away the extra layer of 'thought conditioning' to go along with any kind of physical symptom, it's merely a sensation in the body and has a very different 'feel' to it. Pain has a different feel in general without the emotional processing to accompany it I've found as well.
Enlightened2B

Postby Phil2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am

dijmart wrote:
Phil2 wrote:I wonder what all this gossip is about Di ... are you in a mania phase of your mental disorder ?

No, I've just thought you're a douchebag and I was right. :lol:

douche•bag (ˈduʃˌbæg)
n.
Slang. a stupid, contemptible, or despicable person.

Could I remind you Di that you don't see others as they are ... but as YOU are ...

Moreover from the definition above I don't think that such offensive language complies with the forum rules ...

Thank you.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Phil2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

Enlightened2B wrote:Michael Brown who is the author of 'The Presence Process' (check it out....pretty in depth process) says that our emotions work in a 7 year cycle. Most of the emotional stuff we deal with happens in the first 7 years of our life (I don't know if I agree with this or not), but he says that from 0-7 is the most impactful period emotionally for us and then the cycle gets renewed every 7 years after that, the age of 7-14 is where our mental body gets impacted the most, and age 14-21 is where our physical body does. Basically meaning, it all starts emotionally/vibrationally and spirals to everything else. So, what we carry emotionally will most certainly impact us physically. I'm starting to look at emotions as the cause of many of my health issues over the years.

Yes this is correct Mike.

During the first 7 years of existence in childhood, we have lived quite close to our emotional self, from there we started to become more 'mental', which means that we began to build a substitute (and false) personality in order to become 'acceptable' for our parents (which for a child is of the utmost importance and vital), then the teachers and all the 'authorities' (priests, bosses etc) ... this is where we abandoned our true self and became a 'social mask', a false/fake identity ... where we have learned to say 'no' when we mean 'yes' and 'yes' when we mean 'no' ... an inauthentic self to please others ... an 'alien' to ourselves ... (btw this is also quite well described by Don Miguel Ruiz in his book "The Four Agreements")

And the whole 'Presence Process' consists in retrieving our lost authenticity and regain access to our emotional self, the 'Child self' as Michael Brown calls it ... and this can be done by attending fully and feeling our emotions, instead of escaping or sedating them in distractions, entertainment, addictions, rituals, obsessions, violence and other symbolic neurotic actions ...

Meditation is one way to do this, but there are other methods like 'Primal Therapy' which addresses exactly the same issues.

This is also what Eckhart calls 'inhabiting our body', because the body is the home for our emotions ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am

Enlightened2B wrote:It's all fear based. It's funny that when you take away the extra layer of 'thought conditioning' to go along with any kind of physical symptom, it's merely a sensation in the body and has a very different 'feel' to it. Pain has a different feel in general without the emotional processing to accompany it I've found as well.

Yes! Agreed. For me it takes some effort to get there, the stripping away of conditioning, especially if I'm tired.....change happens slowly, no?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby kiki » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Moderator's Note: Play nice, people; there's no real need to egg someone one to resort to using offensive language. There's enough of that everywhere else, so let's keep this place as a refuge from it.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Onceler wrote:
Enlightened2B wrote:It's all fear based. It's funny that when you take away the extra layer of 'thought conditioning' to go along with any kind of physical symptom, it's merely a sensation in the body and has a very different 'feel' to it. Pain has a different feel in general without the emotional processing to accompany it I've found as well.

Yes! Agreed. For me it takes some effort to get there, the stripping away of conditioning, especially if I'm tired.....change happens slowly, no?

absolutely. Same with me
Enlightened2B

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Phil2 wrote:
During the first 7 years of existence in childhood, we have lived quite close to our emotional self, from there we started to become more 'mental', which means that we began to build a substitute (and false) personality in order to become 'acceptable' for our parents (which for a child is of the utmost importance and vital), then the teachers and all the 'authorities' (priests, bosses etc) ... this is where we abandoned our true self and became a 'social mask', a false/fake identity ... where we have learned to say 'no' when we mean 'yes' and 'yes' when we mean 'no' ... an inauthentic self to please others ... an 'alien' to ourselves ... (btw this is also quite well described by Don Miguel Ruiz in his book "The Four Agreements")

And the whole 'Presence Process' consists in retrieving our lost authenticity and regain access to our emotional self, the 'Child self' as Michael Brown calls it ... and this can be done by attending fully and feeling our emotions, instead of escaping or sedating them in distractions, entertainment, addictions, rituals, obsessions, violence and other symbolic neurotic actions ...

Meditation is one way to do this, but there are other methods like 'Primal Therapy' which addresses exactly the same issues.

This is also what Eckhart calls 'inhabiting our body', because the body is the home for our emotions ...

Yeah, I like the Presence Process, basically the idea behind it, but I think meditation is equally as effective as opposed to strictly 'connected breathing' for 15 minutes twice a day which Michael Brown promotes. I also don't like when a teacher dictates how strict you need to be (position and time wise in a meditation session). Meditation should be what feels comfortable for you. Adyashanti's true meditation can work equally as well. I'm not the biggest Adyashanti fan at all, but I think his meditation exercises on youtube are very good. Anything that gets you to embrace those emotions/sensations. Basically meditating at your own convenience and reading the material in the Presence Process can go a long way I feel.
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Phil2 wrote:Could I remind you Di that you don't see others as they are ... but as YOU are ...

This is typical douchiness.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Phil2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:39 am

Enlightened2B wrote:
Yeah, I like the Presence Process, basically the idea behind it, but I think meditation is equally as effective as opposed to strictly 'connected breathing' for 15 minutes twice a day which Michael Brown promotes. I also don't like when a teacher dictates how strict you need to be (position and time wise in a meditation session). Meditation should be what feels comfortable for you. Adyashanti's true meditation can work equally as well. I'm not the biggest Adyashanti fan at all, but I think his meditation exercises on youtube are very good. Anything that gets you to embrace those emotions/sensations. Basically meditating at your own convenience and reading the material in the Presence Process can go a long way I feel.

Yes I agree, personally I don't use Michael Brown's recommended technique of breathing but rather my own meditation technique in which I feel comfortable ... though on the other side Brown recommends to 'embrace the discomforts' ... however even in my own meditative technique I have to face some (emotional or physical) discomforts too ...

:)
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Phil2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 am

dijmart wrote:
Phil2 wrote:Could I remind you Di that you don't see others as they are ... but as YOU are ...

Maybe you should take the Moderator's Note here above into consideration Di ... some basic rules of courtesy would do no harm to your repeated emotional reactivity ... keep cool ...

8)
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Phil2 wrote:
dijmart wrote:

Maybe you should take the Moderator's Note here above into consideration Di ... some basic rules of courtesy would do no harm to your repeated emotional reactivity ... keep cool ...

8)

I said what I had to say, no further comment needed. However, when you're douchey I'll let ya know :mrgreen:
dijmart

Postby Phil2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm

dijmart wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
dijmart wrote:

8)

I said what I had to say, no further comment needed. However, when you're douchey I'll let ya know :mrgreen:

Yes, yes but don't forget the basic rules of courtesy Di ... and learn to deal with your emotions ...

(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Phil2 wrote:Yes, yes but don't forget the basic rules of courtesy Di ... and learn to deal with your emotions ...

Courtesy? ...Were you courteous here, from earlier this month.

Phil2 wrote:
EnterZenFromThere wrote:
You really are a dick Phil!

Yes I love to push Di's buttons ...

:lol:

You aren't courteous at all. Even ZEN called you a dick!
dijmart

PreviousNext

Return to Pain and Suffering