'Doing' vs 'Being' ?

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

'Doing' vs 'Being' ?

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:59 am

It appears that there are two global modes of functioning: either the 'doing mode' or the 'being mode'.

Most people live in the doing mode, which means that when something happens, like a problem or a project, we 'do' something to fix the problem or realize our desires, projects or goals. In this mode, thought is the primary operating factor. We enter what could be called a 'control' mechanism which also is 'reactive'. We also reinforce the gap between 'me' and the outer world, because we perceive the world as a 'resistance' to our needs or projects, we 'materialize' the world. And we create psychological time (which is the distance between 'what is' and 'what should be').

On the other hand, the 'being' mode favors presence, remaining focused on the present moment ... which also means that there is no immediate escape in thought process and also no tensions (stress) created. From this stillness, a response to the situation might arise, which does not come out of thought, but from some other place one could call 'intelligence'. This is also the mode we enter in our meditation.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: 'Doing' vs 'Being' ?

Postby lmp » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:42 pm

I think you are correct.

Thought as reaction diminishes and the emotional pain and stress involved in these reactions gradually leaves us. Then intelligene, or perception, or compassion, or meditation, acts.

Now what about in areas of life where thought as reaction is strongly encouraged? It might be at the workplace with collegues, or at school, or with a partner. What happens there?
lmp

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:54 pm

lmp wrote:
Now what about in areas of life where thought as reaction is strongly encouraged? It might be at the workplace with collegues, or at school, or with a partner. What happens there?

Well thought as reaction is encouraged in nearly all aspects of modern social life except maybe when it comes to spiritual or religious life. We live in such a 'materialistic' society which generally totally ignores the dimension of 'being'. The person itself has become an 'object' in this 'objectified' world.

Eckhart recommends in highly stressful situations, like in the workplace, to take short breaks of presence and inhabit the body as often as possible, which allows to break with the 'doing mode' and to reopen the path to our inner presence and our emotional feelings. Because the body is the home for our emotions and inner tensions, much nearer to our real 'being' than thoughts.
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby lmp » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:27 pm

I often think of work as the biggest area of conflict in my life. I think being objectified sums up the reason for it well.

What prompted you to write the first post? What did you have in mind?
lmp

Postby kiki » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Nice post, Phil2. We are all human beings. The human part resides in the world of form and is where the doing aspect plays about. The being part is our formless essential nature. Waking up is a sort of conscious reunion on the human level with our essential nature. It is the conscious knowing of the presence (being) that was always there.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby rachMiel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:02 pm

I agree with kiki: Your OP nailed it, M. Jean. :-) Crystal clear.

Let's not forget that each mode -- doing and being -- has its place in this life of our'n. Each is sacred.

And, if you're a non-dualist kinda human, there is no division between them, they are one:

Form is ground, ground is form. Doing is being, being is doing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:37 pm

rachMiel wrote:Let's not forget that each mode -- doing and being -- has its place in this life of our'n. Each is sacred.

And, if you're a non-dualist kinda human, there is no division between them, they are one:

Form is ground, ground is form. Doing is being, being is doing.

Well I don't think so RM. For me the doing mode creates duality, it creates a separation, a gap between 'me' and the outer world, also a gap between 'what is' and 'what should be', which is psychological time, becoming ...

In fact there is no 'doer' ... just a 'mis-take' ...

Only 'being mode' allows reconcilation with the oneness, unity, harmony inside ourselves ... in this inner presence ... and stillness ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 pm

lmp wrote:What prompted you to write the first post? What did you have in mind?

Well you come to this easily when you realize that anything you 'do' coming from thought (a goal, a fear, a desire, an intention, a protection etc.) generates inner tension and stress ... as someone said 'intention' means 'in-tension' (tension inside) ... any action aiming at a result in fact ... it creates an expectation, time ... only when an action totally remains in presence is there no tension created, this action could be called 'pure gift' ... no result or reward expected, no time created ... this is also what love means ... love is about 'giving', never about 'getting' ...

It also becomes clear when you start to meditate, in the beginning of a meditation many thoughts come in about things to 'do', all those thoughts clutter you mind and it is sometimes very difficult to let those thoughts go and dissipate ... then you realize that those thoughts are an obstacle to the 'being' mode, ie. stillness ... this is probably why meditation can be very difficult for very busy people ... they have no time to 'lose', they have so many things to 'do', to 'get' and to 'become' ...
Last edited by Phil2 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Phil2 wrote:For me the doing mode creates duality, it creates a separation, a gap between 'me' and the outer world, also a gap between 'what is' and 'what should be', which is psychological time, becoming ...

In fact there is no 'doer' ... just a 'mis-take' ...

Only 'being mode' allows reconcilation with the oneness, unity, harmony inside ourselves ... in this inner presence ... and stillness ...

My take (no doubt a 'mis' take once refined enough. Understanding ever deepens.): Doing cannot create duality where none exists. It can only create a sense of duality which has purpose - or it wouldn't exist.

Curiously, what do you suggest is 'doing mode' if not a doer doing?

I Don't see the mis-take in an intentional exploration of the temporary experience of duality. As to a 'doer', the inherent ability to choose (such as to explore experience), at any level, indicates a doer. Choice represents doing. Consciousness represents being. Conscious being, making choices, represents a doer - not necessarily separate, but unique as a perspective.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Phil2 wrote:For me the doing mode creates duality, it creates a separation, a gap between 'me' and the outer world, also a gap between 'what is' and 'what should be', which is psychological time, becoming ...

Maybe you're not *doing* it right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Webwanderer wrote: Doing cannot create duality where none exists. It can only create a sense of duality which has purpose - or it wouldn't exist.

Right, when I say 'create duality' I mean creating the 'perception' of duality ... as you said 'a sense of duality' ... duality itself does not exist of course ... and cannot be 'created' ... you can only create an illusion of duality ... the problem is that when this illusion (or 'mis-take') is created, it influences the reality of your life and emotional state, this illusion can trigger hate, anger, fears, violence, conflicts etc ... this drama could be called 'The Power of Illusion' ... like the mirage of the oasis in the desert can make you run for water ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Curiously, what do you suggest is 'doing mode' if not a doer doing?

It is the illusion of being a 'doer' ... and this illusion is created by thought ... it is a 'mis-take', an error of perspective ... an illusion of duality ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Manyana » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:32 pm

I really like "accept this moment as if you had chosen it", it puts you right in the heart of being.
Manyana

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Manyana wrote:I really like "accept this moment as if you had chosen it", it puts you right in the heart of being.

Right, no resistance to 'what is' at all ... no 'doing' ... no tension ... no time ... just presence ...

Total surrender ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:46 pm

I think the duality lies in your subject; doing vs. being. I would take out the "vs.". Now you have doing and being, or doing and being in integration. I feel I can be while doing. In fact, many times being is touched, enacted, initiated by doing; losing myself in an absorbing task, gardening, running, working, cooking, etc.

If you are correct, that would imply we need to live a monastic life of mediation, contemplation......being. I think life is much more dynamic than this and having tried the contemplative life of being for many years, have settled on a different ratio.....mostly being thru doing, interspersed with potent micro bursts of being.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Next

Return to Pain and Suffering