Sleep Paralysis and OBE/lucid dreaming

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Sleep Paralysis and OBE/lucid dreaming

Postby Enlightened2B » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 am

I'm asking this as a serious question because I had a very strange experience last night and have had it a couple of times recently over the past several months. So, I'm looking for serious answers here as this has really peaked my curiosity in a fun, kind of playful way.

Last night, I had a rough night of sleep. Had upper respiratory symptoms from allergies and couldn't sleep as a result. Well, around 5-6 AM, my body felt really tired, but mentally, I just couldn't sleep. My mind was wired. No big deal. However, I kept drifting off into temporary sleep paralysis. I mean, hardcore. It would come and then I would wake myself up to prevent the paralysis from going further. It would come again and vibrations and rushing noises were running, non stop, more and more each time. The vibrations and rushing noises were so intense, but yet not painful or fearful. I've had this exact same thing a few times now over the past few months. I did some research previously and found out that these symptoms were the early signs of lucid dreaming and possibly even OBE. So, last night, while this was happening, mentally, I was still alert and I kept thinking to myself, well, this would be a kind of cool chance to get out of my body almost jokingly. I never did get out, but, apparently sleep paralysis is a stepping stone.

Having an OBE or lucid dreaming is not at all important to me in the context of awakening and spirituality, and I'm only curious about these experiences because I find it interesting and curious if anyone on this board has experience in this realm. Because, I know that what I am experiencing is likely the beginning stages of at least lucid dreaming. Thanks for any insight.
Enlightened2B

Re: Sleep Paralysis and OBE/lucid dreaming

Postby Clouded » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:11 am

Just like you, I was curious and tried it out too for laughs some time ago. The vibrations are real, did you feel a change of temperature originating from your head and flowing throughout your body? I know I did and I freaked out and never tried it again because I couldn't believe that it worked. Some OBE stories are disturbing to me, good luck if you're brave enough to go farther.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Onceler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Robert Monroe's Journeys out of the Body is a good place to get info about OBEs. His organization, the Monroe Institute, in Virginia is another good place for info.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Enlightened2B » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Onceler-I'm very familiar with bob Monroe's work after reading and watching videos from Thomas Campbell. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out the book you mentioned.

Clouded-I can't recall if there was a temperature change or not. However, the vibration throughout my body was intensely real. The entire body. It kept getting stronger and stronger. Such a strange feeling, but yet no fear like I used to have when I was younger during sleep paralysis nightmares. This was very different because it was kind of peaceful when it was happening. I felt as though I could control the vibrations with how far I wanted to go. I was a little scared to go further, so I kept coming back. Maybe I'll try to go a little further next time. I think it's important to relax during it if you really wanna go further and I know that my body was too tense.
Enlightened2B

Return to Beyond the Physical