Accidents

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Accidents

Postby Onceler » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:28 pm

I read an article in the NY Times that retriggered an inquiry that I have had going on in my head for quite awhile.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... tcore-ipad

The details of the article aren't as important as the main idea which has been personally gnawing at me; that as we grow, dig deeper 'awaken' , etc. we somehow unlock or expose deeper psychic themes that may be emotionally and physically injurious. The article is written by a therapist who notices that her patients have a higher incident of accidents during her annual summer vacation in August, this year being particularly bad. In the spiritual world this seems to be a theme as well. Adyashanti getting sick for a year at a time as he awakened, for example. We hear about various physical maladies, aches and pains, accidents, etc.....and of course NDEs

In my own personal story, the upheaval of the last 3 years, which I affectionately call, 'that thing that happened to me' (and which feels more and more psychological in nature than spiritual) has a running theme of accidents and physical maladies. Weird tensions and pains in my body, periods of illness that don't have a predicatable course or causality, accidents (most notably falling 15 feet from a tree with a running chainsaw in my hand and not being seriously injured, other than the nagging feeling that something happened in the moment I hit the ground that was somehow a point of no return or transition)....and the list could go on.

Anyone else experience this? Do we attach more meaning to what is essentially and statistically a fairly normal progression of life that is not anomalous just coincidental?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Re: Accidents

Postby Phil2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:12 pm

What the author of this article does not seem to say is that her patients might develop some kind of fear or resentment to be 'abandoned' by their therapist during some weeks ... and therefore might unconsciously 'attract' (cf LoA :) ) some 'accidents' ... either by fear or even to 'punish' their therapist for having abandoned him/her ...

I remember some years ago, my old father, who was not in good health state at the time, did not appreciate that I took some vacation with my children, he felt 'abandoned' (though he was not left alone as he lived with his partner), then his illness went worse and had to enter the hospital during my absence, he then told his partner "My son will be punished to find me in hospital when he comes back from vacation" ...

I think that some psychiatric patients might feel abandoned when their therapists leaves for vacation, and could develop similar states of mind ... hence the 'accidents' ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Onceler, didn't read the article, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

Awakening involves opening a lot of energy blockages throughout the body. I know from my own personal experience that the blockages have caused a load of physical maladies in my body. It could even be kundilini awakening in the body which can bring on a slew of symptoms very far in range.

I'm not so sure about accidents. Could be related perhaps. Perhaps, they could pre-manifested incidents to assist in the waking process to help us see things.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Onceler wrote:... as we grow, dig deeper 'awaken' , etc. we somehow unlock or expose deeper psychic themes that may be emotionally and physically injurious.

Makes sense. As awareness of our present experience deepens, previously unconscious thoughts and feelings become available to the conscious mind. And the unconscious is where the monsters live.

One thing to consider: When the monsters emerge from the darkness into consciousness, it might be emotionally painful ... but not injurious. On the contrary: healing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby KathleenBrugger » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Phil2 wrote:What the author of this article does not seem to say is that her patients might develop some kind of fear or resentment to be 'abandoned' by their therapist during some weeks ... and therefore might unconsciously 'attract' (cf LoA :) ) some 'accidents' ... either by fear or even to 'punish' their therapist for having abandoned him/her ...

I agree, that's where I thought the article would go--speculation about why more accidents occurred. I have noticed over the years that most of my "accidents" happen when I am feeling bad about myself or life in general. When I'm angry or depressed, that's when I cut or burn myself while cooking, or stumble, or hurt myself in some way. As I have healed my mind, accidents have diminished greatly.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby kafi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Onceler,
I can relate to this.
For me , it seems to be the shortening of the strings ( = 'free ego will' ) with which the bodymind is attached to the single guiding hand ( Source).
As the strings become shorter and shorter ( less and less free ego will) , the consequences of exerting free will become more and more serious.

At first, weird things would only happen when I was in anger.
Later, electric appliances would already behave weird when I was only in slight stress.
Nowadays, however, things turn out nasty ( i.e. I get ill) if I resist the still small voice inside ( that tells me 'go and share ' ).
Or, if I just say ' Now I have shared in three emails this week, now I deserve a break for the weekend. ' Then I get sick. ´Just because I asked for a break!

I assumed that this new job description is like a 9 to 5 job. Ha! I was wrong. It is more like a 24/7 commitment. And the boss ( Source ) can come up with any new wish of what I should do any time ( like 'I want you to write a blog' or ' I want you to channel' ) .
And I scream 'Noooo' . And then I suffer. And eventually, I obey.

But that is the way forward on this spiritual journey . It is about facing fears by going right through them. And it is about surrender. Thy will be done.
kafi

Postby Onceler » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

That's really interesting,Kafi. I can relate to this a little bit, but need to give it more thought and investigation. There is no question that what happens to me seems to be timed exquisitely to what I need.....or it may be the instantaneous human narrative that fills in a back story to provide cohesion and to explain random events.

Sorry, I'm a skeptic at heart, but want to believe. I do know that this kind of openness to life and whatever happens can be terrifying....we seem to so desperately want to have control over our life. There is an increasing rawness and immediacy to my relationship with the big old world that is at times unsettling and at times thrilling.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby kafi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Onceler,
of course, be skeptic and investigate.
The good thing is that I don't need to make an effort to convince you.
Because I know how the universe deals with stubborn children from my own painful experience.
Therefore, I assume other skeptics will receive the same kind of (sometimes unkind ) treatment.

When the path gets painful, I come to understand why Hafiz wrote this poem

Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,

Break all our teacup talk of God.

If you had the courage and

Could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,

He would just drag you around the room

By your hair,

Ripping from your grip all those toys in the world

That bring you no joy.

Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly

And wants to rip to shreds

All your erroneous notions of truth

That make you fight within yourself, dear one,

And with others

Causing the world to weep

On too many fine days.

God wants to manhandle us,

Lock us inside a tiny room with Himself

And practice His dropkick.

The Beloved sometimes wants

To do us a great favor:

Hold us upside down

And shake all the nonsense out.

But when we hear

He is in such a “playful drunken mood”

Most everyone I know

Quickly packs their bags and hightails it

Out of town.

Translated by Daniel Ladinsky

copied from Carrie Triffets blog: http://carrietriffet.com/carrieblog/?p=99
kafi

Postby Onceler » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Wow. An amazing poem, thank you.

(It's okay, I've been called a stubborn child before).
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Return to Pain and Suffering