Boy Who Came Back From Heaven recants his story

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Boy Who Came Back From Heaven recants his story

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:18 am

I want to be the first to share this.

For whatever reasons the book was written, and for whatever reasons it's now being withdrawn.

I've never read the account, I do think I remember Salem raising questions about it, (if I'm thinking of the right one) in terms of it being a 'very Christian' account, which is interesting now that he's saying he hadn't read the bible. Something about his father's involvement in the way Salem was talking about it made me answer Salem's questions by saying they were questions to ask of the boy and his father. Apparently the mother has never been happy with it.

It will likely add more to the debate, but hey folks embellish and exaggerate and seek attention all the time, I guess nde's are no different, no more 'sacred' territory than any other. It seems strange to me though that a kid who's just come out of a two month coma would feel like he had to do any other thing to 'gain attention', one would rationally think that lots of folks already would have been paying him a lot of attention. :?

Tyndale House, a major Christian publisher, has announced that it will stop selling “The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven,” by Alex Malarkey and his father, Kevin Malarkey.

The best-selling book, first published in 2010, purports to describe what Alex experienced while he lay in a coma after a car accident when he was 6 years old. The coma lasted two months, and his injuries left him paralyzed, but the subsequent spiritual memoir – with its assuring description of “miracles, angels, and life beyond This World” – became part of a popular genre of “heavenly tourism.”

Earlier this week, Alex recanted his testimony about the afterlife. In an open letter to Christian bookstores posted on the Pulpit and Pen Web site, Alex states flatly: “I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.”

Referring to the injuries that continue to make it difficult for him to express himself, Alex writes, “Please forgive the brevity, but because of my limitations I have to keep this short. … I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.”

More here -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... publisher/
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: Boy Who Came Back From Heaven recants his story

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:41 am

Interesting little diatribe on 'Pulpit & Pen' who apparently have been against Christian bookshops selling books of 'Heavenly Tourism' :lol: sorry, that's a very funny 'genre' description.

http://pulpitandpen.org/2015/01/13/the- ... retailers/

It seems heretic-bashing might still very much be alive and well - does anyone know the other three books he's talking about?

...so far, due to the pressure and pleas from the Pulpit and Pen and others, that three of the books that we have taken aim at and labelled “the worst books Lifeway sells” have been pulled from their online store. We’re going for a fourth…not because we’re upset and just want to cause a scene, but out of love and care for our neighbors who might read this. Sadly, messengers to the SBC in 2014 passed a resolution against such books, but Rainer continues to proudly display heavenly tourism on the shelves at the SBC-owned Lifeway bookstores.

Such neighbourly 'love & care' that they dictate what others 'should' read.

And... I wonder just what was involved in 'taken aim at' and 'going after' this book, and the others?

There is an addition in the quote from the boy that was left out of the Washington Post version. For me a very prescriptive addition.

“An Open Letter to Lifeway and Other Sellers, Buyers, and Marketers of Heaven Tourism, by the Boy Who Did Not Come Back From Heaven.”
Please forgive the brevity, but because of my limitations I have to keep this short.
I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.
I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.

It is only through repentance of your sins and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God, who died for your sins (even though he committed none of his own) so that you can be forgiven may you learn of Heaven outside of what is written in the Bible…not by reading a work of man. I want the whole world to know that the Bible is sufficient. Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough.
In Christ,
Alex Malarkey.”

The Bible is enough.
The Bible is sufficient.
Christ is enough.
Christ is sufficient.
We don’t need Christian bookstores to sell us books and resources that tell us otherwise. We pray that Thom Rainer, Ed Stetzer, other Lifeway executives and all Christian book retailers will take notice of this courageous and Gospel-centered 16 year-old young man, and that everyone reading this will lift him up to the Lord.
[Contributed by Dustin Germain. Contact me/follow me on Twitter @paperhymn]
Note. For an excellent, concise and biblically spot-on analysis of heavenly tourism, please read Phil Johnson’s post The Burpo-Malarkey Doctrine

What seems in multiple perspectives 'interesting' in this little stouche is that the father seems to have been in one direction and the mother seems to have been in another direction, who knows what's going on for the boy.

Has anyone read 90 Minutes in Heaven and Heaven is for Real that they mention in the article.

As far as the writer's perspectives that
The Bible is enough.
The Bible is sufficient.
Christ is enough.
Christ is sufficient.
We don’t need Christian bookstores to sell us books and resources that tell us otherwise.

and for the young boy's notion that
The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.
It is only through repentance of your sins and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God, who died for your sins (even though he committed none of his own) so that you can be forgiven may you learn of Heaven outside of what is written in the Bible…not by reading a work of man. I want the whole world to know that the Bible is sufficient. Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough.

I don't think my response would be very generous or appreciated. I wonder how they view Corinthians 1 :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:55 am

Well it just gets curiouser and curiouser .... seems the 'battle' is part of a marital one :evil:

So in early June last year, I sent the following e-mail. Tyndale never bothered to reply:
To: Tyndale House Editors
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 4:34 PM
Subject: The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven
Sirs, I’m curious about what rationale Tyndale’s legal department has for dismissing the concerns that have been raised by Beth Malarkey, who says that: 1) the story told in The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven is filled with exaggerations and untruths; 2) although Alex Malarkey is listed as co-author of the book, he receives none of the royalties; 3) that Kevin Malarkey neglects his duties as a husband and father, not even adequately supporting his family financially (cf. 1 Timothy 5:8), but with Tyndale’s encouragement….

from http://pulpitandpen.org/pen/

goodness and they need a biblical passage to support the 'wrongs' of the father.

There is always more under the surface, always.
smiileyjen101

Postby karmarider » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:57 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:I want to be the first to share this.

For whatever reasons the book was written, and for whatever reasons it's now being withdrawn.

There is such a thing as spiritual correctness. I think it comes from fear. Just as people are afraid to see the non-physical, so too are the spiritual afraid to see delusion. I think it comes from the need for conformance.
karmarider

Postby Onceler » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Good point, Karmarider, although I believe it might be spiritual naïveté as much as correctness. I didn't read this book, but another one like it. I always forget that many people just lie. I feel ripped off, as I sort of believed the experience, although I didn't resonate with all the biblical themes.
Last edited by Onceler on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby ashley72 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Kids are taught to believe in Santa Claus, tooth ferries, Ghosts, Easter bunny, blah, blah, blah. Therefore, it is not all that surprising that most adults go onto believe in Heaven, Angels and other fanciful and unverifiable belief systems.

Remember: The easy part is talking to the dead, the hard part is getting the dead to talk back! :lol:
ashley72

Postby coriolis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:56 pm

ashley72 wrote:Remember: The easy part is talking to the dead, the hard part is getting the dead to talk back! :lol:

There dead always answer back in silence, which is the very voice of God.
And there's more in that statement than meets the intellect. :wink:
coriolis

Postby karmarider » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:42 pm

ashley72 wrote:Remember: The easy part is talking to the dead, the hard part is getting the dead to talk back! :lol:

What about the Grateful Dead?
karmarider

Postby Clouded » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:16 am

Because of Conversations with God, every time I read something written from a religious point of view, I discard it as truth.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:13 am

Clouded wrote:Because of Conversations with God, every time I read something written from a religious point of view, I discard it as truth.

Care to explain what you mean here? Conversations with God is not religious at all, unless you didn't mean that? :?
Enlightened2B

Postby Onceler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 pm

With a name like Malarkey......
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Clouded » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:34 am

Enlightened2B wrote:
Clouded wrote:Because of Conversations with God, every time I read something written from a religious point of view, I discard it as truth.

Care to explain what you mean here? Conversations with God is not religious at all, unless you didn't mean that? :?

Sorry for not being very clear. What I meant is that the book has changed my perspective on God (and those who worship ''their image'' of Him). I know that there are religious followers who are God fearing and believe that they have to respect a certain set of rules in order to not be condemned by God to an eternal life in hell. The book made me question why would God, who is meant to be the most loving entity in existence, ever want to punish/dispose of anyone? Those who believe in the existence of hell (which would require an unloving/judgmental God) lose their sense of credibility to me.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 am

Clouded wrote:
Enlightened2B wrote:

Sorry for not being very clear. What I meant is that the book has changed my perspective on God (and those who worship ''their image'' of Him). I know that there are religious followers who are God fearing and believe that they have to respect a certain set of rules in order to not be condemned by God to an eternal life in hell. The book made me question why would God, who is meant to be the most loving entity in existence, ever want to punish/dispose of anyone? Those who believe in the existence of hell (which would require an unloving/judgmental God) lose their sense of credibility to me.

Nanci Danison's latest book "Backwards beliefs - Religion" is an incredibly in depth resource on this subject matter if you're interested.
Enlightened2B

Postby thetiesthatbind » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:34 am

Once a biological unit has ceased functioning it is no more. And the atoms go elsewhere along with spirit and all all that

Society, and in particular, medical books seem reluctant to refer to deaths and tend to stray towards words like 'endpoint' and the like.

As if each and every death were a failure in some way.

What bugs me big time is when you get these people who say 'I died on the operating table' and then came back to life.
Like when you hear an uncle say that he was at a laying out of a corpse like they used to do in the old days and they would say
"They just sat up in the coffin".

Which is compete bollocks as its hard enough to do a situp when you are bang on alive and in tip top fashion
thetiesthatbind

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 am

thetiesthatbind said: What bugs me big time is when you get these people who say 'I died on the operating table' and then came back to life.
Like when you hear an uncle say that he was at a laying out of a corpse like they used to do in the old days and they would say
"They just sat up in the coffin".

Which is compete bollocks as its hard enough to do a situp when you are bang on alive and in tip top fashion

I think you're being too hard on folks who are just trying to explain an out of the ordinary experience for which the words and scientific knowledge/acceptance do not quite describe or fit the experience.

Reasonably, medicine and our minds have accepted that life and death are different experiences with different evidences of physical and biological capacity - it's only been very recently that science has realised that even 'flat line' does not necessarily mean the end of of biological life within a living being - let alone experiences and levels of consciousness far enhanced to 'normal'. (search Nu Complexes for more information about the beyond flat line studies)

In the early days after I had an nde I had no way, no accurate words, to describe the higher capacity of consciousness and awareness when everyone around me thought/believed I would have had the even more than opposite experience and evidence of awareness and consciousness because of my body's lack of 'vital and measurable signs of life'.

It was not bollocks that led me to say 'I died and came back' it was not beyond doctors to say the same thing based on our understanding of life/death indicators at that time. It was more a lack of words or understanding to explain it any other way.

Now I would tend to say I had conscious and intelligent awareness outside of my body while my body was totally unresponsive and not working. Life though, the experience that dimension of life for me was unrestrained by my body and the limitations of it, unrestrained by time or space, and enhanced by that lack of limitation.

And when I came back into awareness from inside my body, it was like a totally different experience.

From the outside, from witness perceptions I was for all intents and purposes and criteria for 'life' not in a state of any capacity or awareness. To the witness I was 'gone', and I'd have to agree with that statement, it's just that I wasn't permanently 'gone'. Had they disposed of my body it really would not have bothered my intelligence or awareness, and that's the bit that science is trying to understand - where life starts and ends, what is the real properties and indicators of life & death, of consciousness and intelligence.

Myself and many other nde'rs will tell you we were more alive out of our bodies than we can be in them. But at the same time the limitations provide immense experiential opportunities and are a total gift.

Understanding through biological and scientific 'acceptance' of 'norms' and measures of consciousness are changing. For anyone to declare that they know where life, death, consciousness and awareness, starts and ends, is pretty arrogant and judgemental of others with different experiences & evidences.

So, forgive them the untidy nature of words and the clumsy usage of them, and ask instead as you would with anyone with experiences different from your own ----- what was the experience like ... for you? What did you learn, what did you unlearn - for in those things is the true growth of knowledge afforded by any experience, on any level of awareness.

As Don Miguel Ruiz would say of authenticity - be skeptical, but learn to listen.
True scepticism is open minded and curious, not judgemental and arrogant.
smiileyjen101

Return to Beyond the Physical