A beautiful mind & 3 acts of creativity, madness & awakening

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

A beautiful mind & 3 acts of creativity, madness & awakening

Postby vinay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 pm

ET refers to the movie "A beautiful mind" in a discussion with Oprah in "A New Earth" chapter 8 video. I rewatched the movie recently and also read the biography of the same name by Sylvia Nasar. Here is my reflection on the story of beautiful mind and the three acts of creativity, madness and awakening.

http://www.catalign.in/2015/03/a-beauti ... ts-of.html

Vinay
vinay

Re: A beautiful mind & 3 acts of creativity, madness & awake

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Vinay, nice post! It's been a long time since I've seen the film and I've never read the book but you definitely sparked my interest in both. I find it very interesting that you say that madness is something we all go through, because that is exactly the premise of my book "We are All Innocent by Reason of Insanity." You wrote:

The three stages through which his mind went through – creativity, madness and awakening - is also the story of the human mind. All of us are creative when we are kids. As we grow old the voice in the head starts commenting on our actions and the actions of people around us. Repetitive and incessant stream of wasteful thinking leads to firm beliefs in ideas like “I am useless”, “My boss is crack”, “It’s all her fault”, “Hinduism is good, Islam is bad”, “I am better than him” etc. Separation between what is real and what is imagined becomes blurry just like Nash.

This is exactly right. We are programmed, or conditioned as ET puts it, to hold certain beliefs about reality. We don't see reality as it is, we see only our mental models. Our perceptions and memories are filtered through our beliefs and assumptions, which creates an individual, subjective mind-generated reality. Then we confuse this mind-generated reality with actual reality, iow we're deluded about what is really true, and that's why we're all crazy. In Power of Now, ET uses the word "insane" quite a few times to describe humanity.

And your examples are good. Some others: Reality = I made a mistake/Delusional thinking = I'm a loser. Reality = I have a talent/Delusional thinking = my talent means I'm better than others.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Re: A beautiful mind & 3 acts of creativity, madness & awake

Postby CaiHong » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks Vinay and Kathleen,
I followed the links with interest. A close relative of mind went through several phchotic episodes, the grandiosity of his delusions was impenatrable for me. To be honest he was a much nicer, more humble person after these episodes.

He is working on/obsessed with a project, he is convinced it will revolutionize education, the way we teach and learn. He is working in a vacumn, in the sense he does not look at other methods of teaching but is convinced his way or no way. Not wanting to disturb the hornets nest, ( set off another episode) we more or less leave him to his own devices but are we delaying the inevitable. I see ego playing a huge role in these delusions.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Return to Recommended Links