Eckhart Tolle question? opinions needded

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Eckhart Tolle question? opinions needded

Postby viking55803 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 am

I've read Frankl's work a number of times during the past 50 years, but what I took from it was a bit different I believe. It was really quite simple: we cannot always choose our circumstances, but we can ALWAYS choose our attitude toward those circumstances. In Eckhart's teaching, he says this in a slightly different way: we can choose where we direct our attention. He says this often. So, for example, if we are waiting in a long, long line we can choose to focus our attention on all of the other things we would rather be doing or we can look around with conscious awareness of the present moment and fully experience what surrounds us. Impatience is exactly one of those attitudes we can change if, for no other reason than that it is entirely wasted energy - the line does not move faster simply because you are impatient.

In a nutshell, I see great similarities in the insights of Frankl and Tolle both.

Peace,
Gary
viking55803

Postby Onceler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Good post, Viking. John Sherman also says the same thing about attention, as in its the only thing we can control. Not sure about this, it sounds right, but maybe we only have limited control over our attention as well? I think as we live less from a negativity and fear orientation, then our attention is naturally and intelligently attracted to positive and constructive places. This may be more magical thinking, not sure.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby painBody » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Onceler wrote:You're not going to like this answer, but I think you have to find out for yourself. I'm at the point where I don't believe anything anyone says, because there's a good chance that it's simply their own realization and does not apply to anyone else, certainly not me. We have to find things out on our own. Listening to others seems a waste of time to me.....precious time. This is from someone who wasted 30 years thinking others had the answer.

Now I believe it's all inside us. No gurus, Angels, higher selves, yogis, authorities, fairies, demons, nor channeled spirits or enlightened beings. I believe they are all inside you. Let's pretend they don't exist. Where would you start? Find out on your own.

Strip it all away, down to the the bone, and deeper. Start by investigating how it feels to be you, the essential you, not the you everyone tells you about.

Of course if you truly follow my advice you won't listen to me....

Excellent response, Sir !

I cannot agree more with what Onceler said here.

I wish to add that I think that the "law of attraction" ideology is a pile of feces. But that's just me.

If you understood what Eckhart says, you'll see that he doesn't believe in polarities, and neither do I, for a very simple reason - If there are two polarities, what makes one superior to the other ? If you choose one, isn't that choice arbitrary ? What makes "Positive thinking" superior to "Negative thinking" ?

How about just seeing things for the way they are ?
painBody

Postby Onceler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Hmmmm. Interesting to read this again......it feels like I was coming from a rather hard place and feel a little softer about things now. I guess I still stand by it, but would add that, of course, we are shaped by many things. By far the most productive time in my life is when I stopped the struggle and gave up. I simply rejected everything everyone taught, turned my back on spirituality and walked. I was without my safety net of the usual 'feel good', conditioned bromides. I was truly disgusted and finished with the whole business. In that rawness I found myself, the deep self that underlies everything.

Of course this was my way and I don't think I could have forced it or emulated it ( as this is a common theme with many seekers; to exhaust yourself, give up, dark night of the soul, etc).
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion