Sam Harris. What do you think? (No pun intended)

Online videos are an integral part of our online experience, and finally they have their own section on the board.

Sam Harris. What do you think? (No pun intended)

Postby DavidB » Sat May 30, 2015 5:27 am

“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Re: Sam Harris. What do you think? (No pun intended)

Postby Fore » Sat May 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Agreed.
Fore

Postby DavidB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 am

I've seen Sam before, a few years ago, when he used to have discussions with Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and the late great Christopher Hitchens. These discussions usually were based on their understandings and opinions of religion and how utterly delusional it is when illuminated with rational understanding.

I read one of Sam's books, "the End of Faith". An interesting read, but not really anything I didn't already know or understand.

I wasn't aware though until recently, that he also talks about presence and the end of thinking. This was a very pleasant surprise. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Baba Bozo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm

DavidB wrote:These discussions usually were based on their understandings and opinions of religion and how utterly delusional it is when illuminated with rational understanding.

Yes, that's a fair summary.

Ideological atheists are quite interesting, as they are rather busy re-creating a new version of the very thing they are so adamantly against. That is, yet another faith based ideology in search of enemies with whom to do holy war etc.

It's fascinating how such intelligent people so passionate about reason can so quickly abandon their own principles so sincerely, without even realizing it. A clear example of the perplexing ever contradictory human condition we are all subject to.

DavidB wrote:I wasn't aware though until recently, that he also talks about presence and the end of thinking. This was a very pleasant surprise. :)

Yes, Harris is making a good faith effort to replace religion with something constructive and useful, and he deserves credit for that. Thumbs up there.

Most atheist commentators seem to feel that just destroying religion is enough, and that the fundamental humans needs which have been fueling religion in every corner of the world for thousands of years will somehow magically go away, or something.

Mostly I think they just enjoy the experience of being on the attack, and they see religion as an easy target. I like the experience of being on the attack myself, but see atheism as the much easier target, as their stated allegiance to reason can quickly box them in to some very tight corners. Religious folks can easily escape such corners by retreating in to faith.
Baba Bozo

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Baba Bozo ... ;-) Cool screen name. May we call you Bozoji?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:05 am

Hi Baba bozo,

Radical atheists do tend to radiate quite a bit of zeal, when it comes to rubbishing the religious. I can understand their misplaced zealotry, they believe they are helping people become aware to logical and rational reasoning, becoming enlightened. Ironic, isn't it.

However, as you mentioned, this punitive approach often only results in the religious retreating into further faithfulness, further delusion.

The only approach that really works, is to be nonthreatening. Understanding and appreciation for where people are at in their lives, showing that you actually care about them, certainly helps to get their attention. It may not always help to change their mind, but it does help to foster a much more gentle approach, a civil exchange of mutual understanding, which can't be bad.
DavidB

Postby Baba Bozo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:13 am

rachMiel wrote:Baba Bozo ... ;-) Cool screen name. May we call you Bozoji?

Well, if you're too lazy to call me His Flatulence Sri Baba Bozo, founder of Bozoism the next great world religion, then I guess Bozoji would be ok. Though such laziness is unlikely to get you a prominent mention in the Book of Bozo, just so you know. :-)
Baba Bozo

Return to Videos