Thinking and Destiny, similar to Eckhart Tolle's books

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Thinking and Destiny, similar to Eckhart Tolle's books

Postby naktibalda » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:48 am

I recently found the book, "Thinking and Destiny" written 60 years ago by Harold W. Percival. I was surprised that it doesnt seem to be very well known, but the concepts it presents are strikingly similar to those used by Eckhart Tolle. The book discusses the topics of the pain body or "desire ghosts" and describes that humans must be able to think without creating thoughts in order to attain spiritual liberation. The whole work is about how to think and balance one's thoughts so as not to create additional destiny. He describes how to rise beyond thoughts so one is not compelled to create thoughts endlessly by nature.

I found it very helpful that he describes the danger of engaging in "spiritism"-which is essentially the worship of dead beings. I feel like practicing "presence" all the time can lead to a state where one is continually focused on spirit and the non-physical. In Thinking and Destiny, H. Percival describes that the state to achieve is one in the Light and not just in unknown presence. Percival warns against the possibility that the barrier is weakened between the world of the living and the dead. I feel like when I was attempting to be as present as possible that I was unknowingly inviting unknown spirits and beings into the living world.

In his books, Eckhart Tolle mentions several metaphysical things but doesnt cite a source for that material. I think it might be plausible that he found some of that information in this book.

The book is available for free on the publishers website http://www.thewordfoundation.org/
naktibalda

Re: Thinking and Destiny, similar to Eckhart Tolle's books

Postby naktibalda » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 pm

I suppose I didn't ask a question in the last post. So I'll ask one now:
In the state of presence, as you experience it, how do you relate to thoughts? Are you merely a witness of thoughts or can you engage in thinking while being present? Do you ever find that thoughts disappear yet you are still thinking ?
Thinking and Destiny provides insight into how thoughts can be gotten rid of, while you remain an active thinker. I find it a fascinating book. Hopefully someone else can benefit from it as well
naktibalda

Postby DavidB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:30 am

I'll check it out, thanks. :)

Thinking only really becomes an issue when thinking becomes the primary focus, more or less day dreaming. It can also be subtly intrusive when thoughts create a running dialogue of events, commenting on everything. Like an armchair critic commenting on the news and current affairs, the mind creates a running dialogue of current events.

I find the best thing to remember, is that we don't need to label everything and we don't need to tell ourselves what we are doing constantly. For example, I don't need to tell myself I'd like a cup of tea. I know I'd like a cup of tea wihtout there being any words spoken. I can easily and efficiently get a cup of tea without the mind commenting at all. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby lliago » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:14 am

Anyone who is actually reading thinking and Destiny trying to figure out how to relate subjects should use the chapters the point or circle and also The Circle Or Zodiac. through that you'll understand that time is the relation of units or a mass of units to each other and that in each atmosphere units are related differently but in the psychic atmosphere time is related by the feeling relating itself to desire, in the mental atmosphere where real thinking actually goes on you relate units to one another through rightness and reason. just to throw that out there For when you're in Nowness understanding the point or circle will act as a map...
lliago

Return to Questions