Eternal Awareness?

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Eternal Awareness?

Postby Mystic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:30 pm

In a dream last morning I went to visit a friend and this friend appeared to be very similar to a shaman or medicine man. He told me that a giant lizard was under the ground following me wherever I went. I could see the ground vibrating and shifting whenever I moved. Later, as I was walking in a town or city, I happened upon a sidewalk that looked like it was made of transparent glass. I could see the lizard beast under the sidewalk and it resembled a large salamander with green skin. This beast was very angry.

Perhaps below ground in the dream represents the unconscious or subconscious mind and the angry beast represents the ego(self concept)...

There is an aspect of the mind that never sleeps. Sometimes After much meditation, I can cause my body to fall asleep yet the mind will remain awake. I am wondering if it is possible to always remain awake(and completely aware) in the mind even when the body sleeps for many hours. The ego is constantly pulling my awareness into a vortex of thoughts and mind wandering... :) Perhaps the ancient masters and modern ones too, can do this maintaining of awakening and become eternally aware...
Mystic

Re: Eternal Awareness?

Postby Fore » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:56 pm

When the Buddha was asked if he was a god, he replied "I am awake". I feel that to be continuously awakened in perfect mental balance is the goal of full enlightenment.
Fore

Postby dijmart » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 am

You are eternally aware already as awareness, whether you are aware that you are awareness or not. However, when in deep sleep, awareness has nothing to be aware of...not any objects (subtle or gross). Therefore, again, awareness has no way to be aware of an inner or outter world and is just aware in deep sleep. This is how it is for the aspect of awareness associated with the jiva (person) when the jivas mind is in deep sleep...imo

Oh and during your meditation, you were most likely not in deep sleep, as the mind is not conscious in deep sleep.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Mystic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 am

dijmart wrote:You are eternally aware already as awareness, whether you are aware that you are awareness or not. However, when in deep sleep, awareness has nothing to be aware of...not any objects (subtle or gross). Therefore, again, awareness has no way to be aware of an inner or outter world and is just aware in deep sleep. This is how it is for the aspect of awareness associated with the jiva (person) when the jivas mind is in deep sleep...imo

Oh and during your meditation, you were most likely not in deep sleep, as the mind is not conscious in deep sleep.

The ego is just below the conscious level...

There is a non-material awareness that is not limited to the material body; this much I know from different experiences. The soul never sleeps but the body does require sleep. The ego identifies with the body and makes an image of the self that is like a second body and this image of self can take journeys outside the sleeping body every night when the body is in deep sleep. This second body is ghost-like and rubbery and stretchy. Most people do not remember these journeys but some do have a little recall of them. The non-physical awareness can also shed the second body and just be an aware presence with no form.

There are other beings of pure awareness or you could say pure light, that exist, and we can communicate with or "commune" with them because there is no separation when there is no form...
Mystic

Postby letitgo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:04 am

Hello Mystic,

I think you would enjoy any of Robert Monroe's books about journeys out of the body. What you're describing about "being awake while being asleep" is what he spent years perfecting in a laboratory setting. He began to refine the process of putting the body into a deep sleep state, while keeping the mind active through various sound therapy and other processes.

I love to read about very scientific, pragmatic individuals who are forced into a spiritual conundrum when an unexplained phenomenon is thrust upon them. This is what happened to Mr. Monroe when he kept accidentally floating out of his body and didn't know what to do.

There is a non-material awareness that is not limited to the material body; this much I know from different experiences. The soul never sleeps but the body does require sleep. The ego identifies with the body and makes an image of the self that is like a second body and this image of self can take journeys outside the sleeping body every night when the body is in deep sleep. This second body is ghost-like and rubbery and stretchy. Most people do not remember these journeys but some do have a little recall of them. The non-physical awareness can also shed the second body and just be an aware presence with no form.

In one of his books, he talks extensively about this "second body". It's very interesting to read how accurately you've described what he so scientifically analyzed!

Thanks for your post,
Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
letitgo

Postby Fore » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:12 pm

dijmart wrote:You are eternally aware already as awareness, whether you are aware that you are awareness or not. However, when in deep sleep, awareness has nothing to be aware of...not any objects (subtle or gross). Therefore, again, awareness has no way to be aware of an inner or outter world and is just aware in deep sleep. This is how it is for the aspect of awareness associated with the jiva (person) when the jivas mind is in deep sleep...imo

Hi dij,

The teachings I received discusses mind in terms of conscious and subconscious, we are taught there is no unconscious mind. Even in deep sleep one may swat away a mosquito or kill it as the subconscious mind is always reacting to sensation. This is why breath is used in meditation, it is the gateway to the subconscious as it both functions at the conscious and subconscious level. You can take conscious controlled breaths or when left breath functions subconsciously.

In deep sleep people often twitch or shift position as they are reacting to different sensation that mind is continuously in contact with. When you awake you have no idea how many shifts or reactions took place, or how many mosquito's lives one may have ended.
Fore

Postby Fore » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Mystic wrote:
There are other beings of pure awareness or you could say pure light, that exist, and we can communicate with or "commune" with them because there is no separation when there is no form...

How do you communicate or differentiate these other beings of pure awareness?
Fore

Postby Mystic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:41 am

Fore wrote:
Mystic wrote:

How do you communicate or differentiate these other beings of pure awareness?

From experiences I can recall that my awareness or my consciousness, seemed like it was expanding outside of my sleeping body. There was no form to this awareness nor was there a "ghost" body-form floating separate from the physical body like the previous OBE's. I could see that the body exists inside the mind ...and the mind is not just the brain. The ego is the identification with form. Form is a limitation. Learning to let go of limitations is the evolution of consciousness.

These other beings all share the same identity so it is not a matter of differentiation but one of sharing and communion. Ultimately there are no secrets :)
Mystic

Postby Fore » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Ego can also be present in "my awareness or my consciousness" not to dismiss these experience, but to remind not to get drawn into them, consumed by them, identify with them as self. There is no control of this experiences they are fleeting, impermanent by nature.

Conscious awareness is eternal and it seems odd to describe this as expanding outside of a sleeping body, it gives a sense of form to this awareness. Perhaps I am misunderstanding as it is a difficult topic to discuss.
Fore

Postby Mystic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Fore wrote:Ego can also be present in "my awareness or my consciousness" not to dismiss these experience, but to remind not to get drawn into them, consumed by them, identify with them as self. There is no control of this experiences they are fleeting, impermanent by nature.

Conscious awareness is eternal and it seems odd to describe this as expanding outside of a sleeping body, it gives a sense of form to this awareness. Perhaps I am misunderstanding as it is a difficult topic to discuss.

Ego is in consciousness, that is true. I still have an ego and experience a sense of self that is separate from other things, thus the descriptions of first person experience. Perhaps expansion can also be described as letting go of fears, letting go of belief in limits and boundaries.

The body exists inside the mind because the mind is unlimited and has no boundaries. Some might call this unlimited mind the non-local mind. The local mind identifies with a personal "little" self that seems to be separate from everything. Two different perspectives of self that require integration of this little separate self into the whole of being.
Mystic

Postby Fore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Yes, I can get on board with increased awareness as a type of "expansion".
Fore

Postby Mystic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:28 am

Fore wrote:Yes, I can get on board with increased awareness as a type of "expansion".

I have read some people saying that we should be friends with the ego and other people saying that the ego must die. Both of those perspectives might not be the optimal way of awakening ...not sure...

I have come to the realization that all I need to do is be aware and observe my own ego and thoughts. Then I see that I am not the ego but the awareness of what I am not. The awareness exercise of separating from the idea of separation... :D

I was meditating today and during this meditation I was observing my body and breath as an awareness exercise, counting breaths until the ego pulled me into a distracting thought. Then I resumed meditation again and was able to observe the thought stream as separate from me, the observer.

It seemed to me that the meditation only lasted for 30 minutes or so ...but two hours had passed. Time collapsed.
Mystic

Postby Fore » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 pm

This is not directed at you mystic, I am trying to touch on your points but I'm posting from my phone so it is difficult to break it into quotes, so this may come out a bit jumbled.

We are the sum total of our mental formations(past lives) our attachment to these past lives keep us stoking the egoic fire. To make friends with or to kill this fire is not liberation. Say we identify with this suffering and are friendly with the agreeable past we may strengthen this and come to depend on these beings and not see them as they are, we can develop excitement and miss true peace. Or perhaps we want to kill this fire, so we douse the flames with water, for the moment we are free from fire but the fuel remains, in time the wood will dry and a spark may come and reignite.

I agree that what is necessary is to be aware with a balanced mind, neither craving these past lives or developing aversion to them. Simply observe them and give them the space (do not identify with them) and this will allow them to burn up, as this occurs seemingly painful past selves will have the opportunity to exhaust their fuel supply, you may find them becoming pleasant in nature still your job is to see this as suffering do not cling to these or one becomes trapped at this stage. See them as danger and do not grasp for this experience. These too will exhaust their fuel and you will be ripe to transcend the egoic self and experience the truth of nature.

At times when we meditate, we experience obvious suffering, and every minute seems like an hour at other times we are observing extremely pleasant and blissful sensation and hours pass as minutes. Continuation of awareness is key, no state is eternal, nothing to grasp or cling to. Pleasant changes to unpleasant, unpleasant changes to pleasant, remain balanced and aware. This is how we liberate ourselves.

Disclaimer, as sighclone mentioned in another thread, I also have had deep experiences which is where I base my posts from. But I am not perfect and still very much get caught up in the egoic self and react in blindness. It seems the fire is burning down for the most part but I still throw the odd log on there. The wife and kids seem to know the sequence of buttons to push at times. :lol:
Fore

Postby SandyJoy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am

dijmart wrote:You are eternally aware already as awareness, whether you are aware that you are awareness or not.

That is right on target. Dijmart -- If you exist then you are aware and if you are aware, then you are Awareness Itself whether you realize that or not - However, keep in mind, Awareness is never not aware. Even sleep is happening within this Awareness - no matter what is going on, Awareness like the paper that the words are written. The words may change but the paper does not. Rest in knowing you are the paper and the words both, Mind and it's appearances. Awareness does not sleep, but sleep happens, like words on the page happen. Makes not difference what the words are, the paper is not affected.

No control, nothing to do, nothing to get to. Only to understand you are this Presence already. That's It. Just that. - just the wonder and beauty you are, right now --

Thanks Dijmart. trust your heart -- It is simple and easy - We rediscover our own sweet heart and we Live again --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52eV4EvY-c
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby runstrails » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 am

Sandy joy wrote: If you exist then you are aware and if you are aware, then you are Awareness Itself

Nicely put, Sandy. This is the simply crux of it all :D.
runstrails

Next

Return to Beyond the Physical