Scared of presence

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Scared of presence

Postby JD127 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello, I am 19 and discovered eckhart tolle several months ago and have since become fairly present multiple times. I noticed the tingling sensation in my hands and can feel my thoughts taking a backseat as present energy flows through me. But my problem is that my ego becomes very scared. As it loses its grip it tries to force me back into a state of suffering and unconsciousness. It's afraid to die.

Everytime I become present this happens, and it doesn't stop me but I had having that last gut reaction of fear before I enter the state. I've read a lot about it and I guess I am sortve afraid to become too present and lose my grip on my life or life situation. I don't want to become withdrawn from society or dysfunctional. I want to become present but in a way that benefits my life and supports my goals as opposed to subtracting from it. Do you guys have any ideas?
JD127

Re: Scared of presence

Postby Fore » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:12 am

This is where a teacher can help to guide you. Presence is not about attaining a tingly state it is awareness of whatever presents itself from moment to moment. Tingles are suffering as well as the sensation of fear. This liking of certain sensation and disliking of other sensation is the old habit to come out of. Try to observe this changing from craving to aversion with a balanced mind. It doesn't matter what state you are experiencing at this moment if you remain aware and balanced you are doing your job. Try to see that each state simply arises to pass away it is not you, nothing to cling to or push away.
Fore

Postby DavidB » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:23 am

Presence is simply the aware realization that consciousness 'is' without any need to make that happen. We are conscious no matter what we believe, do, subscribe to or practice.

Before there is anything at all, there is consciousness.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby JD127 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Fore wrote:This is where a teacher can help to guide you. Presence is not about attaining a tingly state it is awareness of whatever presents itself from moment to moment. Tingles are suffering as well as the sensation of fear. This liking of certain sensation and disliking of other sensation is the old habit to come out of. Try to observe this changing from craving to aversion with a balanced mind. It doesn't matter what state you are experiencing at this moment if you remain aware and balanced you are doing your job. Try to see that each state simply arises to pass away it is not you, nothing to cling to or push away.

I know it is not about achieving a particular state, but as I enter a state with more and more space between my thoughts I become more aware and "tingly" (as in, I can feel it within my body). It happens on its own. The fear happens before and around it.

I will try and keep a more open mind and learn to watch the feeling without bias.
JD127

Postby DavidB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:26 pm

JD127 wrote: I know it is not about achieving a particular state, but as I enter a state with more and more space between my thoughts I become more aware and "tingly" (as in, I can feel it within my body). It happens on its own. The fear happens before and around it.

I will try and keep a more open mind and learn to watch the feeling without bias.

That tingling is quite normal. When we start to focus on the inner body we can suddenly become aware of the raw aliveness that courses throughout the body. We normally don't notice this aliveness because we are usually so distracted with thoughts and other things. As you become more relaxed with this experience you will eventually come to realize that fear is also an illusion. We learn fear from our parents, pears, TV, movies, news etc. In reality we actually have no need for fear, it is in fact an inherited dysfunction, such as anxiety, stress and tension. Fear cannot of itself harm you, when you realize this, fear loses all power and drops away.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby anotherunits » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:09 pm

The whole reason of existence as far as my experience goes is to make all our choices away from fear. We are all born with fear and when we understand this it makes it much easier to notice and guide our choices away from fear driven ones. That is what our free will is .
So to try and obtain a state of presence is a problem because with fear as the driver you will find it difficult. The key is to have an intent to find and face the fears in every single moment and then over time as if magically the presence you once were striving for becomes the way you are act and be all the time.
Meditation should be the fundamental practice as a start for everybody. You are the best and ultimately the only teacher you will take notice of anyway ;-)
anotherunits

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion