Frank Kinslow

Onceler

Frank Kinslow

Post by Onceler » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:45 pm

I am kind of surprised there is no mention of Frank on this website as his teaching and techniques are very compatible, and expand upon, those of ET. His teachings are clear, concise, and practical, and a good generalist next step to beyond ET. You don't have to put out a lot of money to get the gist of his work. He has a couple of good free downloads on his website, a Batgap interview, and another interview offers a free audio download of his first book here:

https://sourcemovement.clickfunnels.com/optin9475912

His techniques have brought me back to a meditative practice in a fresh way. I also like his interpretation of abundance and intention. Let me know what you think.
Be present, be pleasant.

ashley72

Re: Frank Kinslow

Post by ashley72 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:32 am

Onceler

I'd put his quantum entrainment into the category of complete rubbish! Don't waste your valuable time on it.

Classifying executive attention (focus) as some kind of pure awareness which is tapping into quantum waves via a mysterious entrainment method has no scientific basis whatsoever. Anyone who has delve into both of these scientific fields - "Quantum Mechanics" & "Cognitive Science" will tell you that there is a vast, vast amount of complex processors & complex systems operating between the two distinct scientific fields.

I'm someone who has taken degree level courses in both Quantum mechanics & the Cognitive science ( specifically in the area of perception)... and machine learning courses around coding solutions for AI. My own assessment is that our nervous system and cognitive processors have "no direct" meaningful connection to quantum mechanical waves that produce the sub-atomic particles like electrons that make up atoms.

Frank Kinslow - Quantum Entrainment is just pseudo science. When you focus on objects with you executive attention, an extremely elaborate and highly complex system of brain communication biology is taking place. The keyword here is communication!

Its much further up the ladder than electrons, atoms, molecules, compounds, chemicals, signals etc... Our executive attention (aka Pure awareness) is an executive part of a highly complex communication system which is in the field of cybernetics and not quantum mechanics.

Simply evidence that cognitive abilities have more to do with cybernetics than quantum mechanics can be found by studying the nature of nervous illness. A primary characteristic of Panic disorder is positive feedback. This is the field of communication & cybernetics. It can't be understood by merely linking our attentional focus to the realm of quantum waves by so-called quantum entrainment.

Frank has also posted a video about "stopping your thoughts". This is bad advice. You cannot stop your thoughts in any useful way by deploying attentional or focused based techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75Dfr2UINw

To top it off, Franks own version of quantum mechanics adopts the De-Broglie-Bohm take on quantum mechanics . This theory is deterministic... meaning free-will is merely a well disguised illusion of our cognitive feedback system. So why would you post a video to teach people who don't have free-will based on your underlying pseudo science a method to stop their thoughts?

As I keep saying in all my posts , if you want to overcome nervous illness which the main cause of problematic & intrusive thinking styles... you need to expose yourself to those irrational anxious thoughts and stop treating them as dangerous & something to avoid. The moment you treat intrusive or irrational thoughts as dangerous you activate the amygdala part of the brain, which releases adrenaline & you get the fight, freeze or flight nervous response. Its uncomfortable and it causes extreme all or nothing & irrational thinking patterns to manifest & at the panic level it can affect your ability to focus & reduce your memory of events. The sufferer then gets tricked into avoidance, thought stopping and all those methods to try and regain a sense of calmness in their lives. However, all those techniques don't work and actually make it a lot worse!

I'm not against mediation, but if you want to regain calmness and focus. Exposure to the thoughts and understanding that anxious thoughts are not your enemy and should be embraced rather than fought.

I don't bother doing any formal meditation anymore. What I do embrace daily is becoming more conscious of when I'm using unhelpful thinking styles in my daily life. This is something that can be done... it does take time and effort but you can become calmer by taking up less extreme beliefs.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACFE1D0.pdf

An interesting one in the list is "Emotional Reasoning".

This is actually central to how people get caught up in the panic cycle. They start out having one anxious thought about something which is usually caused by "All or nothing thinking". Next they slip into emotional reasoning, they perceive nervous feelings like missing a heart beat or sweaty palms as sign something bad is going to happen... not realising that those nervous response (missed heart beat) have occurred because of the earlier "All or nothing thinking" which in most cases is irrationally based anyway.

People that have nervous or mental illness have been frequently observed by professional clinicians to use these kinds of unhelpful thinking styles (aka evidence based). Therefore, one could conclude the reduction of these types of unhelpful thinking styles should reduce the likelihood of mental illness occurring. If I was you, I'd put more effort into improving your thinking style than putting your energies into new age meditation techniques.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Whelp, there you have it....the other side of the story. :wink:
Be present, be pleasant.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Here's my longer answer, Ashley and I certainly respect your answer and response:

Quantum physics aside, here are my thoughts on anxiety and meditation....and where I am currently in this life. I believe that it is critical and the first step in any spiritual/psychological endeavor to deal with fear and anxiety. You use exposure therapy which has good grounding in psychological science, and which I have used informally as well as professionally. My own astonishingly effective process was John Sherman's looking technique, which is not grounded in science and which takes time to evolve, but which as eliminated 90% of my anxiety (and I was at the level of consistent generalized anxiety interspersed with panic attacks to keep things interesting). I still get appropriately juiced when a bus is bearing down on me or if a snarling dog is coming off the porch to greet me.

Amazingly to me, the gradual eradication of the 'fear of life', did not result in an immediately happy or meaningful life. There was an emptiness or vacuum as the defining pillar (fear), against which I measured my experience, was taken away. Out of this period, Kinslow grabbed my attention.....it could have been any technique really, and threw me back into the meditative life. I don't recommend meditation before fear is dealt with, based on my own experience. It can only exacerbate and distort fear. I was pleasantly surprised that without the distortion and confounding influence of fear I could focus my awareness with amazing potency. I like Kinslow's method of watching thinking until it slows to the point of a liminal/oscillating state between thought/no thought. This happens quite quickly for me and I can deepen this state by using his other critical method of focusing on the resulting felt sense of peace, stillness, joy, etc. these feelings potentiate the state. I also find that his claims that this state is quite healing has been true....with some resolution of chronic physical and depressive ailments. I have found that one of the great joys in life is having some control over the movement of my attention and these exercises strengthen this process.

I can see how Kinslow would be your worst nightmare, Ashley, with his combo of pseudoscience and meditative techniques, and I had to laugh about it a little and hope it didn't cause you undo stress. I never thought it would capture my attention, but there you are.....life is surprising and very little a waste of time.
Be present, be pleasant.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Onceler,

Thanks for sharing with me some further insight into your simple motivations & interest in Frank Kinslow's theories. I think you & I relate quite well in our journey... we are both honest & seem sincere in seeking a better way to overcome the challenges of living in a stressful world.

For the record, Frank seems like an intelligent guy & a good communicator to boot. I can see why someone with open mind might give his ideas some time & consideration. However, from my point of view he's drawing a very long bow indeed when he relates his thought stopping techniques to quantum mechanics. BTW, If you want to find out more about quantum mysticism & the origins & shortcomings of the theory, check out the Wikipedia article.

Interestingly, his thought stopping technique is not new, just repackaged. It uses the same basic principle as the "Who Am I inquiry?" to still the mind.

Meditative techniques do work to calm you down in control environments - when you are able to just quietly sit - contemplating & watching thoughts & doing breathing exercises . But the techniques have never helped me overcome panic or nervous illness in a meaningful way. I also found John Sherman's looking technique similar to the other thought inquires but in some ways simpler to deploy. But again not a magic bullet to curing nervous illness.

The only thing which has worked to overcome arising panic is the exposure therapy coupled with CBT.

I'm happy to report I no longer suffer agoraphobia or panic disorder. I'm still dealing with some occasional OCD & shyness in certain situations. I'm still using exposure therapy & CBT on the OCD which seems to be reducing the frequency of the episodes. My road to recovery has definitely been like peeling off layers of an onion. With each onion layer representing a different aspect of the nervous illness. Agoraphobia & depersonalizations was the top layer and shyness is the subtle lower layer.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to explore all the ideas out there. I just think you'll get more successful results from CBT & exposure therapy which are more mainstream & have the evidence based confirmation.

In relation to feeling emptiness or a void after overcoming the fear. That could have occurred because your primary focus or goal for sometime had been finally achieved. Quite often sports professional or even serious amateurs become depressed after retiring from their sport. Or when people finish their studies or retire from work.

The medicine for that would be some fresh goals to focus on. :wink:
Top-level athletes, successful business-people and achievers in all fields all set goals. Setting goals gives you long-term vision and short-term motivation . It focuses your acquisition of knowledge, and helps you to organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most of your life.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks, Ashley. Excellent points. I feel like navigating thru life is like walking in a minefield. Every step is a terror. After awhile we find some terrain that is relatively mine free and we breath a little freer. Then after quite some time and ground covered we realize that there were actually no mines at all, just some interesting obstacles, some quicksand or whatever. We can then look around and begin to enjoy the scenery we never really looked at. Our path thru the mind field is unique and individual, full of hacks and shortcuts. No two paths are the same, although there is a lot of crossing and shared 'safety zones'. The realization that there are no bombs usually comes after we have exhausted all paths and eliminated all routes. When we give up in desperation and exhaustion, it dawns on us that it doesn't matter where we walk and we are free to explore.....
Be present, be pleasant.