Fulfillment

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Fulfillment

Postby painBody » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 am

ET talks about how people chase after things or experiences in the hope that it will bring about fulfillment. And, he claims that fulfillment is not possible through such pursuits.

I know what will bring me fulfillment, and it has nothing to do with my state of consciousness (ET, sorry, I'm disagreeing with you again):

I am 33 years old, and to this day, I have not done one damn thing I can be proud of or call a real accomplishment. I have been blindly pursuing petty pleasures this whole time, and it doesn't add up to crap. It would be a shame if I were to meet my end tomorrow and leave this Earth without having done anything for others. Not only have I not done anything for myself; I have done nothing for others, either.

I used to think that fulfillment means falling madly in (reciprocated) love with another human being and living a dreamlike life with that person. Since I learned that that can't materialize, my aim has changed somewhat.

If I could be put into a situation where I can save others' lives by sacrificing myself, that would make my pitiful existence, all 33 years of it, worthwhile. If I could throw myself in front of harm's way so that others may live, I'm pretty darn sure that that would constitute fulfillment for me.

I often fantasize about running into a mountain lion or a bear on a wilderness trail and being able to distract the animal long enough to give others a chance to escape, meeting my end in the process.

Yeah, I know what fulfillment means to me. Not being a selfless "hero", but, in those last few moments, the selfish satisfaction of knowing that I did something of importance.
painBody

Re: Fulfillment

Postby rachMiel » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 am

It sounds like one part of you is drawn to the dark (self sacrifice) and one part to the light (Tolle, presence). True?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby painBody » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:13 am

That's an interesting perspective, rachMiel !

I wouldn't quite put it that way ... it's just what I view as the ultimate fulfillment ("self-sacrifice") ... I don't see it as dark. I see it as a very practical way to touch other souls while satisfying my ego that I've done something good with my life.
painBody

Postby rachMiel » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm

> If I could be put into a situation where I can save others' lives by sacrificing myself, that would make my pitiful existence, all 33 years of it, worthwhile. If I could throw myself in front of harm's way so that others may live, I'm pretty darn sure that that would constitute fulfillment for me.

Sounds pretty dark to me, to sacrifice your 'pitiful' life so that others might live.

If helping others is your goal, why not keep living so you can keep helping? And if the urge to sacrifice your life so that others might live is undeniable, why not sacrifice your small self (ego) life so that your big Self can thrive?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby meetjoeblack » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 am

rachMiel wrote:> If I could be put into a situation where I can save others' lives by sacrificing myself, that would make my pitiful existence, all 33 years of it, worthwhile. If I could throw myself in front of harm's way so that others may live, I'm pretty darn sure that that would constitute fulfillment for me.

Sounds pretty dark to me, to sacrifice your 'pitiful' life so that others might live.

If helping others is your goal, why not keep living so you can keep helping? And if the urge to sacrifice your life so that others might live is undeniable, why not sacrifice your small self (ego) life so that your big Self can thrive?

Awesome analysis.

Thread starter should checkout Teal Swan. She talks about embracing that dark side. Its fascinating stuff. She brought up "shadow work." basically, we live in a world that pushes a lot of pretentiousness. You see channels or forums that talk about everything good, light, yoga, smiling and all happy. I am enlightened. The reality is usually further from the truth. I think like Teal was saying, there is an element of embracing that dark side too.

She did shadow work on one of her vblogs. Person said something similar as thread starter. Feels compelled to act in "self sacrifice." within reference to a favorite movie character. You identify with a character in a movie. In this case, a character that self sacrifices oneself; lets say a hero. Why does this resonate? Why does significance of self sacrifice resonate?

Thread starter, read Way of the Superior Man by David Deida. He talks about purpose, having a life path, and hero's journey. It changes as I have come to notice. What you place your time and significance on, you give meaning to but, when you reach the finish line, it loses meaning a lot of the time. It actually brought me suffering believe it or not. Now, I seek my next journey and path. I am reminded that its the journey not the destination.

What do you desire if money wasn't an option? - AW
meetjoeblack

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion