Spiritual bypassing

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Spiritual bypassing

Postby bobdylanfan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:32 pm

I want to share my experience with what I call unintentional, unconscious and innocent spiritual bypassing. I realise for the last 2-3 years I have been avoiding my uncomfortable feelings by zoning out into awareness. When I was feeling a negative emotion I would notice that emotion, feel a resistance to it and then jump into awareness. It would feel great, spacious and free but also quite different to just allowing that feeling to do be. I would feel the uncomfortable shit , decide I don't want to experience that and choose to recognise awareness instead. I picked up the belief that uncomfortable feelings where to be avoided and transcended and that spacious openness was much better. This created a duality between the feelings, emotions and awareness. I only just realised this last night and since then it feels so much more natural, freeing and connecting to let everything be as it is. I realise how many opportunities I have missed to connect with people because I was so focused on recognising and staying in awareness. I felt relaxed and open but also subtly and unconsciously avoided opening my heart and feeling vulnerable.
bobdylanfan

Re: Spiritual bypassing

Postby Manyana » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 pm

Yes, something similar happened to me.
Manyana

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 am

Spiritual bypassing is a defense mechanism, a way to avoid and repress emotions and feelings. But, this is the mind running from what "appears", because it identifies with it.

When you place your attention on yourself (awareness) knowing that what appears within you, is just an appearance, it comes and goes, then you can allow the emotion/feelings to be there and it's ok. As you won't "become" the emotion or feeling, because you no longer identify yourself as it. Its just an appearance within YOU (awareness).
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Manyana » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 am

For me, rather than identifying with it, I was afraid of it. And I inadvertently conditioned myself to go immediately from the overwhelming feeling into presence. Then when I realised I was doing it, I would go back to what was left of the feeling and see/feel what was there. So sometimes when it happens now, there is no movement away from it.
Manyana

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 am

On the person-hood level there will always be pain and pleasure. Its the psychological suffering that we want to rid ourselves of and this can be done when you know that what comes will go, this too shall pass and knowing it doesn't affect your essential nature as awareness. When you can get some space between you and what arises within you, then you can more easily see the fear and perform whatever action is necessary vs becoming the fear and running or repressing. Hope that makes sense.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Personal Experiences