Surrendering to the present "isness" feels defeatist

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Surrendering to the present "isness" feels defeatist

Postby jtightlips21 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:19 pm

I was wondering how other people handle the feeling of surrender being defeatist. Since it feels like saying yes to the isness of the moment is saying no to any ideals. Since thoughts can zoom into my head, and I feel so easily stuck getting preoccupied with certain contents of the present, such as superficiality, authoritarianism, inhuman and self serving ideologies, conformity, blind obedience, ugliness, ect.

I dont know if the content is really what the now truly is. But sometimes it seems that way.
jtightlips21

Re: Surrendering to the present "isness" feels defeatist

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:26 pm

jtightlips21 wrote:I was wondering how other people handle the feeling of surrender being defeatist.

For me it's just a matter of context or perspective. In the Larger view of life it's not truly surrender or defeat. It's more like acceptance and inclusion. If something feels like a loss, it's likely that you're not seeing the conditions present in their larger context. What feels like defeat, clearly understood, is a growth experience and therefore a victory of sorts. Surrender is an opening to include a greater perspective from which to perceive our experience.

We tend to hold on to things - ideas and beliefs - that create a world view that is more often than not a limiting factor in our life experience. Only by 'surrender' to, or a more palatable 'accepting' of, the conditions we resist do we open a channel to greater clarity. And it could be just a change in our wording that makes a change in perspective possible.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion