Convincing never works

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Convincing never works

Postby painBody » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 am

I wanted to share a personal experience and get opinions from y'all (or stories of similar experiences). Thanks in advance.

Tonight, I repeated the mistake of trying to preach ET's wisdom to the person I'm living with - an acquaintance. It turned into a yelling match and had none of the intended effect on her. If anything, I made her a little bit more unconscious, and threw her active (like Kilauea) pain body a yummy treat. Yes, it also temporarily trapped me, but I find myself easily recognizing when I'm unconscious and am able to step out and back into presence.

On most days, I would not have done this, because I've realized, over and over again, the futility of trying to convince anyone about anything. The person I live with is the epitome of "unconscious". In fact, I think that any attempt to convince an unconscious person only makes them put up stronger fortifications to protect themselves from foreign ideas ... the resistance only grows stronger. Courtesy of the human ego.

What's funny is that, ET himself, in the interview "The Simple Truth", states that no one can be convinced of the fundamental truth. They just have to see it for themselves. In his exact words, "convincing never works".

Thoughts ? Similar experiences ?
painBody

Re: Convincing never works

Postby Onceler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Just yes, yup.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby DavidB » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:10 pm

We can't make/force someone to be more conscious, they have to do that themselves. We can only help people that want to be helped, and often we do this indirectly, by casually mentioning something that may resonate or simply leading by example, and occasionally we might find an opportunity where we can offer assistance directly, but this is usually invited.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Unless someone else opens the door to the discussion, which is never (except my sister on occasion), I don't bring it up. I discussed it briefly once with my son's GF and she didn't get it at all. I bought everyone in my house "The power of now" a few years ago and no one read it. My friend borrowed "A new earth" once for 6 months and didnt read it. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Funny thing is I was given "A New Earth" and I read it. Maybe I thought I had to because it was a gift, but am I ever grateful that I did read it.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:43 pm

I read "The Power of Now" many years ago and got very little out of it. I didn't even remember reading it. A few years later, I read it again and was blown away.

People are ready when they are ready, and there is not a lot we can do about that.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:29 am

DavidB wrote:I read "The Power of Now" many years ago and got very little out of it. I didn't even remember reading it. A few years later, I read it again and was blown away.

People are ready when they are ready, and there is not a lot we can do about that.

I read "A New Earth" first, I had to read it incredibly slowly and sometimes could only digest 3-4 pages at a time, because my mind was so blown. Read it 2 times, before I bought "The power of now" by then PON seemed like the 1st grade version..lol. That's why I give that book first.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:43 am

I still love to read both books every once and a while, but now instead reading them I listen to Eckhart narrate them. For some reason I find his voice to be very soothing, and of cause the words are divine, and the pauses eternal. :)
DavidB

Postby dijmart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 am

DavidB wrote:I still love to read both books every once and a while, but now instead reading them I listen to Eckhart narrate them. For some reason I find his voice to be very soothing, and of cause the words are divine, and the pauses eternal. :)

I've never bought an audio book. My sister loves them, but I've never been interested, not yet at least. I haven't read ET in quite a while, but still have the books.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Audio books are fantastic. I can listen to Eckhart or some other author, while I do other things. I just love listening to audio books while driving, it's very relaxing.
DavidB

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:49 pm

DavidB wrote:Audio books are fantastic. I can listen to Eckhart or some other author, while I do other things. I just love listening to audio books while driving, it's very relaxing.

My sister listens to them while driving also. :)
dijmart

Postby painBody » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:28 pm

dijmart wrote:My sister listens to them while driving also. :)

Dij, it is a whole different kind of experience, in contrast to reading the written word, and one I highly recommend to you ! Like someone else said, ET's voice has a certain divine quality to it ... like that of a good guided meditation teacher, I suppose. And that, to me, makes the audiobook a far superior format ... you get more out of a listen than a read. It's also the reason so many pay $1000 to see him live. Audiobooks/videos are the next best thing to seeing/hearing him live.

I, personally, detest reading because it tires my eyes and I start getting sleepy after a while. I much prefer listening.

I have a huge collection of ET's audiobooks ... some copied from library CD's and others purchased from Audible. I used to listen to them while driving (a great experience), and also while in the shower or even when out on a walk. You can even listen while doing household chores :) Like he says, it's not so much the literal meaning of the content, but the energy field that soothes.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 pm

painBody wrote:

Dij, it is a whole different kind of experience, in contrast to reading the written word, and one I highly recommend to you ! Like someone else said, ET's voice has a certain divine quality to it ... like that of a good guided meditation teacher, I suppose. And that, to me, makes the audiobook a far superior format ... you get more out of a listen than a read. It's also the reason so many pay $1000 to see him live. Audiobooks/videos are the next best thing to seeing/hearing him live.

I, personally, detest reading because it tires my eyes and I start getting sleepy after a while. I much prefer listening.

I have a huge collection of ET's audiobooks ... some copied from library CD's and others purchased from Audible. I used to listen to them while driving (a great experience), and also while in the shower or even when out on a walk. You can even listen while doing household chores :) Like he says, it's not so much the literal meaning of the content, but the energy field that soothes.

Thanks, I have a vacation coming up in March I'm saving for, perhaps I'll buy one afterwards.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by dijmart on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44 pm

dijmart wrote:
painBody wrote:

Thanks, I have a vacation coming up in March I'm saving for, perhaps I'll but one afterwards.

No need to buy ! Quite a few are available for free in public libraries. Check there first !
painBody

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 pm

No need to buy ! Quite a few are available for free in public libraries. Check there first !

I can't remember the last time I went into a library..lol. I'd probably forget when it's due and rack up a huge overdue balance. I'd rather buy it and not have to worry about it to be honest. Sad I know...
dijmart

Postby Reagan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 am

I'm struggling with this as well. I'm an alcoholic, and I have caused a lot of pain to those I love. Presence is new for me. I'm only a few weeks into going from having read The Power of Now and understanding it intellectually, to actually living it. Thought I try to explain with words the shift in consciousness that has occurred in me, they just see it as the flavor de jour. So I have decided that the only thing I can do is SHOW them. Show them my new approach and demonstrate it in how I live my life. I paraphrase ET when I say you can't have an argument with a conscious person! As the Ego and Painbody slowly starve, interesting things happen as you begin to approach others without Judgment. Suddenly it is less about need, rather: "How do I Consciously choose to interact and present Myself to this Person.
Reagan

Next

Return to Personal Experiences