The Time We Still Spend in the Mind

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Postby Reagan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:19 am

I was blessed to have a Now where I felt truly present. I have had more, they are coming faster.

But as beautiful as those Nows are, I at least have to still deal with the daily reality of the time I spend in my Mind. I have to spend time there to function in the World of My Reality, slips are frequent. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I'm spending more time in my mind than I acknowledge. What has my Flashlight yet to reveal? Ego, you are the cutest little dust bunny and I find it almost impossible not to play with you. I really just want to take care of you, keep you safe and feed you. But ohhhh how you multiply when I do!

But cutezie analogies aside, I have to ask myself, am I "Mind shaming"? Something that is helping me is Surrendering to My Reality; my mind is my Mind is imperfect. But by diligently being The Watcher of my Mind, I not only observer my Mind, I improve my Mind! As the Ego and Painbody slowly starve, interesting things happen as you begin to approach others without Judgment or Past. Suddenly it is less about need, rather: "How do I Consciously choose to interact and present Myself to this Person. And from a practical standpoint, you start to have a LOT more cycles to actually do good, clear, productive work! Now suddenly, the time that you do spend in your Mind takes on a whole new meaning. Its not such a bad place at all with proper house keeping and maintenance! I have to be in my Mind to forge my new Mind into an organism born of My Conscious Choosing. Thus, day by day improvements in my Mind are My Reality.

I could really use an exterminator for that pest Ms. Painbody though. But of course there is none, have to track down the hidden food source and my Flashlight is getting brighter. I wish no harm on any form of consciousness which is why I can say "that bitch needs to DIE"! Oh my, was that a Judgment?

As your mind actually starts to heal, your ability to sustain presence increases. Then you realize quite suddenly that there is no more negativity being built up and there is an upwards trajectory without limit as the Painbody, and the Ego, and the Past die more and more with each passing day. I honestly wept tears of joy when it actually sunk in and I KNEW that I could be free of my mind and the pain. And I just gotta say it "Damn, it is GOOD to be alive" knowing in my Mind good has a twin. But that is just a projected Future. Which I had not Thought about...... right up until I wrote these words...... Man this stuff is messing with my Mind, and I kind of like it!

And so, that is the state of my Mind Now. It is imperfect and that is. Should I Choose to make further changes to my Mind, I can only do them NOW.
Reagan

Re: The Time We Still Spend in the Mind

Postby dijmart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:10 am

Nice post, Welcome to the forum!

Funny thing about the mind is that as soon as you think, yeah I got this...before you know it, bubbles of unconscious junk arise. Usually showing there is more work to be done. It happens, it's part of the process. I can go a few months smooth sailing, then it rains, then it pours, then comes the lightening, then the thunder. You get my point.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Reagan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 am

Yes, you are right I know. But I am amazed at the steady and rapid progress of my Mind. Annoyance, bat it aside with hardly a Thought. Judgement, catch it quickly with your Attention before you feed it; do that enough, and you won’t even think it. Traffic jam, chores, just another opportunity to be Present. Emotion, now THAT you need to pay attention to. What is the source? Did you choose it, or did it choose you? Just Watch it long enough, and you will know.

I also have an addendum:
And so, that is the state of my Mind. It is imperfect and that is. Should I Choose to make further changes to my Mind, I can only do that NOW. And yet, in the most delightfully serendipitous way, I don't really have a choice any more. I can no more stop Watching than I can Breathing, and all I need do is let it happen.
Reagan

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Awesome, keep it up! :D Have you had to deal with anything really bad yet, while staying the watcher? Serious illness, lose of job, death of family/pets, ect? that's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.
dijmart

Postby Reagan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Actually, yes, I'm dealing with it now. I'm an alcoholic, and I relapsed just a couple of weeks before awakening. I guess I needed some more time and pain, and so I got it..... But I have experienced the rapid transmutation of mind and pain the ET talks about being possible. Plain and simple, I'm not the same person I was just a month ago. So now I have potentially lost a relationship that I don't want to loose. My possibly ex was married to an alcoholic for 25 years..... My relapse causes PTSD in her. I can't change what I did in the past, but I can surrender to it and be present now. I can also be present for her, and deal with her consciously. As I no longer have that gnawing hole inside of me that I need to fill, and my mind has become quiet, I feel no need or desire to self medicate to quiet my mind or escape. I wrote the essay above for myself to try and capture the changes happening inside of me before I even knew of this board. I still work on it in an effort to keep those practices fresh and in the Now.

But I know I'm still in the honeymoon stage of being present. Still, I'm finding it incredibly useful in my present situation. It has literally been a life ring to a drowning man. But I know that I have to keep it in practice for the long haul, else I will revert to old mind patterns. But I can tell you that the motivation is strong, because the way I was living my life was the very definition of insanity! Thought I'm what's called a "functional alcoholic", I was very deeply unhappy with my life situation in spite of having a great partner. I have to use my new consciousness to rebuild trust in my relationships with those I love. Alcoholics are chronic liars, to both myself and others. They see this as just the flavor de jour in my long list of failed recovery attempts. I have to prove them wrong, but I have no doubts.
Reagan

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi Reagan,
Im not trying to discourage you, but help really, because the spiritual journey can be long and bumpy. Just know if you have the bumps, they're just that and it may feel like a set back but each and every time it's just bringing your awareness to something that was unconscious in you.

Yes, I know a lot about alcoholics my mother is 71 and has been one for 46 yrs. We no longer speak do to the verbal abuse she imposes when she's drunk.

But I know I'm still in the honeymoon stage of being present.

Yes, I'd say so, if it's only been weeks, doesn't mean it won't stick? Doesn't mean it will either. You'll just have to see how it plays out. Either way, a crack has been made that will most likely widen over time.

I wish you the best!

Dij
dijmart

Return to Personal Experiences