Split mind

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Split mind

Postby dijmart » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 am

Key master use to talk about the split mind. Any one know what he meant?

I'm assuming he meant the ego has split itself and wants one thing on one hand and another on the other hand.

How to heal the split mind??
Last edited by dijmart on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Split mind

Postby Mystic » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:55 am

The divided mind sees everything on a horizontal axis. It sees different things as separate from Source.

On the vertical axis, everything is connected, we are all one.
Mystic

Postby dijmart » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 am

I searched for it in a different way on the site and found KM said-

Split mind thinking is the surface level manifestation of compartmentalized identity structures. You generate thinking and feeling and then imagine you don't want to think and feel what you generate. That's a split mind in a nutshell. You heal that through resolution of the unconscious. That resolution takes place through noticing debilitating dynamics which you are initiating and are not conscious of, which leads to the absence of what you'd been initiating, which allows unresolved thoughts and feelings the space for conscious expression.

So, now I get what he meant by split mind, but still don't quite understand how to heal it? Too bad he didn't give an example...
dijmart

Postby Sighclone » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 am

"not liking what your mind generates..." Is that the symptom? If so, it kind of reminds me of Eckhart's experience in his little apartment that night he had his big awakening. He was pretty much close to suicide himself..."I can't live with myself anymore." That is, everything his mind was generating was distasteful. The quintessential split mind....sort of.

Minds develop lots of things - some of them conflict. We have a large inclination to find ourselves insufficient...not enough...should be better...The brain has a built-in "negativity bias." There is a wonderful book on this whole topic titled "Buddha's Brain" by Hanson and Mendius - most of it is directed toward overcoming and replacing the tendencies to get into conflict with ourselves.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby dijmart » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Here is what Ted Schmidt had to say when I asked him-

"The mind is conflicted because the mind is essentially a bundle of vasanas, a conglomeration of desires that are all crying for fulfillment. In fact, the only reason the person has arisen in consciousness is as a vehicle through which experience—ideally, and more specifically, the experience of satisfying certain desires—can be had. Hence, the subtle body is informed by desires that prompt it to seek/keep the objects that it finds pleasurable and avoid/discharge the objects it finds painful. While the distinction between what is pleasurable and painful would seem clear and, therefore, one that would make it easy for one to determine which action one should take in any circumstance, it is obvious that it doesn’t work out that easily due to the fact that pleasure and pain are present in varying degrees, as determined by the guna-rooted, vasana-based, raga-dvesha-influenced values of each apparent individual person, in every experience/object. In terms of the example of wanting a cookie, the mind harbors both a desire for the experience of sweetness and the desire for a slim body. The ego, which is nothing more than a thought in the mind, does not split in two. Rather, it simply feels the pull of both desires, and whichever desire is strongest wins. "

All the best,

Ted
dijmart

Postby maaref » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:48 pm

I have not heard the expression before, but I am currently working on a new thread that I might post later which may deal with the same concept of a "split mind". The following is a paragraph from the thread in progress:

"The trap that many people seem to fall into is that they want to get rid of the ego completely. Failing to realise that such desire is coming from the person/mind and not awareness (since awareness is an nonparticipant witness, and, therefore, does not need or desire). This desire steams from the idea that the ego is bad and must be eradicated; which is absurd. It can be compared to a person with multi-personality disorder (with one personality fighting the other and wants to get rid of it not knowing it is one)."
maaref

Postby Onceler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm

I think of split mind, not in terms of spirituality, but in terms of psychology and technology. I see the effects of tech, specifically smart phones, on our kids in school. I see their minds as split between whatever academic input that is going on and whatever might be happening on their cell phones. Even a phone turned off, but in the backpack, can fracture mindful presence and focus. Essentially splitting the mind. This is, of course, a conscious split, but there my be deeper undertones into the unconscious mind stimulated by technology.

On a side note, I see the Internet as a material manifestation of Jung' idea of "collective unconsciousness." Where desires, Id, archetypes, magic, and what have you intermingle. So perhaps the unconscious, heretofore accessed thru dreams and mystical states, is now manifest on our computers. How. beguiling is that?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Elamras9 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 am

I have no idea of it.
Elamras9

Return to General Discussion