Eckhart as an example to follow

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Eckhart as an example to follow

Postby painBody » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 am

The scope of this discussion is the world of form, i.e. "doing" not "being". So, when I say "life" below, I mean what Eckhart would call "life situation".

Would Eckhart reach more people if his lifestyle more closely resembled the desired lifestyle of the general population ? In other words, if he were a more social person and not a socially awkward (self-admitted) hermit in real life, and if he had a wife and children, would his spiritual message reach more people and/or be taken more seriously ? I know he travels the world teaching tens of thousands of people, but that doesn't mean he's not a hermit by nature. That doesn't mean he's not what most would call "socially awkward".

I think that for most people, a good role model or mentor is someone who not only tells you how to reach your goals, but is someone who has him/herself reached those goals in his/her own life. For instance, when picking a personal trainer at the gym, I will likely want a trainer who has the body that I someday want, and perhaps, who has followed a similar life path to my own. Again, I want to emphasize that I'm talking about the world of form. We all know (or assume) that Eckhart has reached spiritual awakening, but what about his life in form ?

Most people on Earth, unless I was born yesterday, want to have a full life ... they want to have passionate romantic/sexual relationships and marriages, they want a child or two, and they want a few material comforts/luxuries. Eckhart himself advocates "playing with form". And, he tells us that by embracing presence, we will have a greater chance of having that full life. That sounds logical and I don't dare question it, but, all said and done, it's theoretical because it is not coming from someone who has brought that advice to fruition in his own life. If he doesn't have what you want to have, why would you listen to him ?

I can't help thinking that, if Eckhart had those things in his own life, if he had a fuller life himself, people would not only hear his message but literally "see" it. I don't know much about Eckhart's personal life, but from what he has said, it is not what most would call a "full life". There's nothing wrong with it, but it is not what most would aspire for. Yeah, he makes millions, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Though I live by what Eckhart says ... deep down, I'd be more convinced of his teachings if he spoke from a place of circumstance similar to my own. If he were unemployed, broke, homeless, and absolutely alone but craving human interaction ... I'd have much greater conviction. Yes, he claims that he was jobless and broke in the past, but ... I don't know ? He isn't broke now, when I'm listening to him. He wasn't broke when he produced those audiotapes I listen to.

Coz, let's face it, y'all ... we're not spiritual robots. We're humans and awakened or not, whether we want to admit it or not, we see with prejudiced eyes. We look for role models, we look for mentors ... and we tend to favor those whom we can identify with.
painBody

Re: Eckhart as an example to follow

Postby dijmart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 pm

The teacher's purpose is to give the teaching, not to be personally idolized or seen as a role model, other then spiritually. His life in form is what it is...and he must be reasonably happy with it or he'd change it.

He has a partner or wife, Kim Eng that he's lived with for many years, he's a spiritual teacher, travels the world and is a millionaire. So, I'd say he's got a lot going for him...in the world of form.

If I recall correctly, Tolle said on a video that when he was homeless, he did have some savings (he didn't starve, but ate inexpensive stuff), but he slept on friends couches at night. So, I'd say the stories of him sleeping on park benches, may not be true. Unless he choose not to say that on the video. Don't ask which video it was a long time ago that I watched it.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:31 am

dijmart wrote:The teacher's purpose is to give the teaching, not to be personally idolized or seen as a role model, other then spiritually. His life in form is what it is...and he must be reasonably happy with it or he'd change it.

He has a partner or wife, Kim Eng that he's lived with for many years, he's a spiritual teacher, travels the world and is a millionaire. So, I'd say he's got a lot going for him...in the world of form.

I agree with this. Maybe I didn't phrase my post the way I wanted to.

I know that his life in form can be considered a "success" and that Eckhart is happy with it. No argument there, whatsoever.

The main point I'm making is that though it is a success in many ways, it is not an exemplary success, in my view. It is not typical. It does not characterize the average Mr. and Mrs. Smith chasing the American or whatever dream. It is, in some ways, extraordinary (millions of $$), and in other ways, quite dismal (being a loner/hermit). That is why I fail to see it as a full life. He may be happy with it, but I think most others would not be.

He's a hermit, no matter how many people he teaches or how much he travels. It is his nature. I also think he's socially awkward. I'm not saying this to attack him, but I'm trying to make my point here.

Let me put it this way. Imagine if Eckhart were more "normal" on the level of form ... like your average talk show host ... someone who has a more natural inclination to be social and comfortable with people, and who had a marriage and children ... and not necessarily a millionaire (which I think is irrelevant to this discussion). Don't you think this more "normal" person would get a bigger audience ? I've read a lot of comments on the web saying Tolle is awkward in the way he talks/laughs, and that his speech is monotone, and other things that put people off. These things don't put me off, but I'm not talking about you dijmart or me painbody (who are confirmed followers). I'm talking about the average person who listens to Eckhart for the first time.

If the general public perceived him as being more "normal" on the level of form, perhaps, they would pay more attention to him. Seeing him as a "spiritual teacher", people already have some sort of image that he is, in ways, "weird".

Though Kim Eng is his partner, there are some claims that the relationship is purely platonic and that she is more of an assistant than a romantic partner. I don't know.

Hope this makes sense.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:47 am

Ok, well, let's say he was an average Joe. Married, kids, whatever...hey, ya-know what, that describes Adyashanti! But, Adya to my knowledge still doesn't speak that much about his life, he sticks to the teachings. So, if Eckhart was the average Joe, it doesn't mean he would speak about it....hmmmm. then, what?
dijmart

Postby painBody » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 am

dijmart wrote:So, if Eckhart was the average Joe, it doesn't mean he would speak about it....hmmmm. then, what?

Well, neither did Adya-whatever. But, you found out about him, right ?

:wink:
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:49 am

painBody wrote:
dijmart wrote:So, if Eckhart was the average Joe, it doesn't mean he would speak about it....hmmmm. then, what?

I only found out about Adya because of someone telling me about him on this forum. The book "The end of your world".
dijmart

Postby painBody » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:03 am

dijmart wrote:
painBody wrote:

I only found out about Adya because of someone telling me about him on this forum. The book "The end of your world".

Ok, if that other forum member knew about it, then, that means that that information is available to the public, no ? Do you see what I'm getting at ?

You claimed that this Adya guy is secretive about his life, but information about him is out there for people to find.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 am

I didn't say he's secretive?...I said he doesn't talk that much about it. But I've only dabbled in Adya, perhaps he's talked more about it then I know, but no, its definitely not a secret. He is married and has kids, also regularly get frustrated with his computer..lol.
dijmart

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion