"Zooming out" - how important are we ?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

"Zooming out" - how important are we ?

Postby painBody » Sat May 13, 2017 1:28 am

Long before the word "spiritual" entered my vocabulary, I intuitively realized the immense power of a simple yet effective practice that could be called a form of "meditation" or simply a way to restore peace and sanity while amidst the chaos of "doing". I first began to employ it at my job as a computer programmer, and found that it gave me great peace. I suppose that one could consider this a form of dissociation or as some sort of psychological coping/defense mechanism ... I don't know. I only know that it helps me greatly.

I wonder if anyone else employs such a practice in their own lives. In any case, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

When faced with a seemingly significant problem (at work, for instance), after spending hours and ending up frustrated, I'd "zoom out" ... I'd picture myself zooming out from the office, to my city, state, country, continent, etc. till I was able to see the whole Earth. As I zoomed out, I'd feel my seemingly significant problem becoming smaller and smaller to the point of becoming infinitesimal and almost negligible, from this broader perspective. Seeing my problem within the big picture would calm me down immensely, I'd be able to breathe a sigh of relief, and then continue to tackle the problem ... usually more effectively than before, realizing its relative insignificance in the scheme of things. (This is also why I love the science of Astronomy, and see its spiritual component ... it puts the Earth in perspective)

That's zooming out over space. Then, there's also zooming out over time - "How important will this problem be 100 years from now ? 10 years from now ? Tomorrow ?"

That's just one tiny example of something ultimately insignificant. Why just a problem at work ? How about my dwindling bank balance ? How about a health problem ? How about a failing marriage ? How about my own life (and death) ? How important am I, in the scheme of it all ?

We all like to think that we are quite important, special, unique, etc, and that so are our "problems". But, how important can we and our problems be, if we're infinitesimal in the scheme of things ?

And, how does this fit into or complement Eckhart's message ? Does it ? Does it contradict it in some way ? I'd like to hear your thoughts !
painBody

Re: "Zooming out" - how important are we ?

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 2:13 am

When me and my sister were little there was a lot of trauma. She use to get something she called the "far away and little's". She described to our parents that everything zoomed very far away and little. They took her to an eye doctor who said her vision was fine. It was a dissociative disorder. When our parents would be beating each other up, she would get the far away and little's. This isn't what you're talking about, but it reminded me of it..
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: "Zooming out" - how important are we ?

Postby Onceler » Sat May 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Frank Kinslow has a nice audio using this concept.

http://www.kinslowsystem.com/mp3/Pure_Awareness.MP3
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Return to Personal Experiences