Getting use to emotional pain

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Getting use to emotional pain

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 3:28 am

It's strange, but have had so much pain I think I'm getting use to it. One thing after another it's never ending lately. It's to the point that I'm getting use to it. Like a new baseline. Which is a new perspective as like most people I tried to push it away, however it's impossible to do, as one thing is compiling upon another. Nothing to do, except accept it.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Getting use to emotional pain

Postby steve Davidson » Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 am

Sorry to hear about your pain, but as you say we do get used to it, we have infinite capacity to get used to anything.

I was wondering though if you are talking about emotional pain or physical pain, or both? Supposedly according to the teachings of most spiritual teachers, emotional pain or suffering is optional, but physical pain is not optional.

I also read you are into Vedanta and they probably have their own way of seeing a situation like this.

But as a fellow human being suffering, as we all suffer, it does seem like yes acceptance is all one can do, in the end.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 am

Emotional pain! It involves a child... As a good Vedantin I thought I was above it, until Ishvara brought me to my knees. I've been there since. One thing after another. You "think" you've gotten to a place, until you realize you're not. My mind is clouded right now with anger and pain.
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am

Okay, emotional pain, I see. I have read spiritual literature for years, and one of the things I spotted, noticed, is that even so called enlightened people or awakened or realized, whatever terms you want to use, suffer at times, emotionally. It seems to be the human condition or situation. Do not be too hard on yourself.

I am sure you are still a good Vedantin and will learn and grow from this experience of emotional pain, will come out of it stronger and more able to help others who are going through it.

Again, we go through seasons or cycles, and everyone from Ramakrishna to Gandhi to Vivekananda, etc have gone through dark periods, periods of emotional suffering.

I myself have thought several times in this life that I was free from certain things until I was shown clearly I was not. It is the way things are and I guess it is a blessing in the end to show us where we

really are at, and where we still have to go. Hopefully one day you will look back on this period and be grateful for where it has taken you. But during it, it wont seem like something you would want

or welcome. Anger and pain will not last forever, hopefully, they are passing clouds.....
steve Davidson

Postby rachMiel » Sat May 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Nice post, Steve. :-)

Keep the faith, dijmart! This too shall pass ...
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you both! I almost didn't write this post, but I'm glad I did.

Steve, you made very good points and I appreciate it!
dijmart

Postby Onceler » Sat May 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Is there some distance between you and your pain? No matter how small.....?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby steve Davidson » Sat May 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Thank you and one last post in this thread, I feel moved to share, which contains two stories that might speak to you and others, and find helpful. They are both wonderful stories and famous, I hope they speak to someone:

The first story is about the power of Maya or Illusion:

"Once Narada Muni who is very intimate devotee of the Lord has meet Krishna.
And while they were walking, Narada Muni asked Lord Krishna, “My dear Krishna, can you please show me power of your maya, your illusiory energy? Please explain to me the secret of this magic called maya and how she act?”
Sri Krishna hesitated to do it. So Krishna asked his dear devotee:
My dear Narada are you sure you want to see power of my maya!?
Narada was very determined so he said: Yes, Krishna i am sure. I want to see power of your maya!
Lord Krishna replied : Ok Narada i will show you. Let’s lie down here in the shade and I shall tell you everything. But first, Narada, it’s terribly hot; would you get me a cool glass of water?”
“Right away,” Narada promised happy to do some serviceto his beloved Lord krishna. He set out across the fields. The sun beat down and though he was a good walker, the little line of thatched cottages on the horizon that marked the nearest village seemed no closer as he strode along. The heat grew unbearable. Narada’s throat became parched too; he began to think that he would ask for two glasses of water, and drink the second himself.
Finally he reached the village and ran to the nearest house. The door opened – and there stood the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She smiled up at Narada through long, dark lashes and something happened to him that had never happened before. All he could do was to look at her beautiful face. Finally he spoke out, “Will you marry me?” That is the Indian way; you cannot just say, “What are you doing on Saturday night?”
The couple settled down to a life of family bliss. After a while, children began to arrive. Narada’s became a very animated household.
Somebody was always being bathed or dressed; there were meals to get and people to be provided for. And all these things were filling up their lives. Narada and his wife became engrossed in their private little world, quietly building their dreams. Years passed. The children grew up, went to school, got married; in time, grandchildren arrived. Narada became the patriarch of a great family, respected by the whole village; his lands stretched to the horizon. He and his wife would look at each other fondly and say, “Don’t you think being grandparents is the greatest thing on earth?”
Then a flood came. The village fields became a raging river, and before Narada’s helpless eyes, everything that he loved and lived for – his lands, his cattle, his house, but especially his beloved wife and all their children and grandchildren – were swept away. Of all the village, only he remained.
He was trying to save them from all this calamities but was not successful.
Unable to watch the destruction, Narada fell to his knees and cried for help from the very depths of his heart.
“Krishna! Krishna!”
At once, the raging floods disappeared and there was Sri Krishna, standing casually on the fields where they had walked what seemed to be so many years before.
“Narada,” the Lord asked gently, “where is my glass of water?”

and the second story about the unripe understanding of non-duality that can get us into difficulties:

"“In a certain forest lived a holy man who had many disciples. Once he taught the disciples that they should bow down to all recognizing that God dwells in all beings. One day one of the disciples went to the forest to bring firewood for the sacrificial fire. All of a sudden there was an outcry, ‘Run, run all, wherever you are! A mad elephant is passing!’ Everybody ran, but the disciple did not flee. He knew that the elephant was also God. So he thought, ‘Why should I run away?’ So thinking he stood still and began to sing praises, bowing before the animal. The mahout on the elephant was, however, shouting, ‘Run, run!’ The disciple still did not move. Finally the elephant came and lifting him up with its trunk threw him on one side and left. The disciple was heavily bruised and lay unconscious on the ground.

“Hearing what had happened his teacher and the other disciples came and carried him to the ashram. He was given medicine. Upon his regaining consciousness sometime later some one asked him, ‘Why did you not run away after hearing that the elephant was coming?’ He said, ‘The teacher had told me that God himself had become all these men, animals and the rest. That is why I did not move away, seeing that it was only God who was coming as elephant.’ The teacher then said, ‘Yes, my child, it is true that the elephant God was coming, but the mahout God did warn you. Since all are God why did you not pay heed to his words? One should also listen to the words of the mahout God.’”

Years ago I thought I was protected from all harm and was safe always. That was my belief, until I got rear ended by another car and was shocked out of my belief, chuckles.

And lately I have been dealing with some health issues and been getting sick a lot physically which does not match my belief either about when you are spiritual you should be healthy, more chuckles.

We are human beings and despite our beliefs, we will go through things and at times have to suffer. The two stories I shared above helps put things in perspective and humbles us.
Last edited by steve Davidson on Sat May 13, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Onceler wrote:Is there some distance between you and your pain? No matter how small.....?

For weeks there didn't seem to be any distance at all. However, now there is some that has developed. Don't get me wrong...I try to distract myself. As I know that time has to pass to eventually get over this. I've done the "just feel the pain" for weeks...it doesn't make it go away any faster.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Steve,

I like the stories! Thanks for posting them!
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Wed May 17, 2017 5:30 am

For whatever reason I've been feeling much better since posting this... I think I stopped resisting "what is". Ultimately, I know I'm not affected by "what is" one iota, perhaps I needed reminded that even through painful events my true being still shines as bright as ever, regardless of the good, bad or ugly circumstances.
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 am

That is wonderful news, so glad to hear it and glad you shared it with us.

Great insight to have, that you are not affected by any of this and that who you are shines as bright as ever. That pretty much sums up Vedanta.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm

steve Davidson wrote:That is wonderful news, so glad to hear it and glad you shared it with us.

Great insight to have, that you are not affected by any of this and that who you are shines as bright as ever. That pretty much sums up Vedanta.

:wink:
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Sun May 21, 2017 6:17 am

I want to thank the people who posted to me in this thread, especially Steve. Your kindness helped me to re-awaken out of my suffering. Now it's as though it never happened and was a "blip" in time, even though the circumstances haven't changed. It was a dark night of the soul and has plunged me deeper into my true nature. Thank you.
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you Dijmart for those kind words, it was much appreciated and heartfelt. It made my night, it touched me deeply. And I am so glad you re-awakened out of your suffering.

On a side note, I have seen that you are into Vedanta and I can relate a little to it. I have read a little of Vedanta, although not a Vedantist myself, but am familiar with some of the teachings.

I also read some of James Swartz, your teacher, and he sounds good, is a very interesting fellow. I also watched one of his videos.

I was on another spiritual internet group for years and knew this woman who used to see many different Gurus, including the Neo Advaitists as I think they are called. Gurus like Papaji, Gangaji,

and many others she saw. She used to write about it, her experiences with them. But in the end, they did not satisfy her, she felt something was missing, even though they were awakened, they

did not necessarily know how to teach in a systematic, methodical way. So when she found a local Vedanta teacher, trained in the lineage of Swami Dayananda, she fell in love with Vedanta and

it became her path, and as far as I know she is still studying it and loves the systematic approach.
steve Davidson

Next

Return to Pain and Suffering