Stillness in Nature

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Stillness in Nature

Postby be-lank » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:09 pm

Stillness in Nature

Peepers are one of the signs that spring is here. Peepers are tiny frogs that make very loud, shrill peeping noises. They live in ponds and creeks and they are heard from long distances away.

I have lived in the woods over a dozen years, and have taken daily nature walks throughout that time. Often, in the spring, I have tried to sneak up on a pond where peepers were peeping. And no such luck!

I don’t know how they know, but they know if you’re anywhere in the vicinity. They instantly shut up. The closest I had ever come to them while they were still peeping was at most a good distance away.

It was just a little game I would play. “Let’s see how close I can get to the peepers while they are peeping.” And I would always lose.

Four years ago, I was not interested in the peepers, or anything in nature. I was only interesting in the Power of Now, and the portal practices. My main portal practice was being in nature, and looking at stillness around plants and trees, and looking at space, not at the forms. Also listening to silence.

Since I loved the forms of nature, its beauty, this was difficult at first. My eyes wanted to go to a blooming flower, but I would stop that and look instead at the stillness around the flower.

It took some training, the mind and eye were not use to looking at nothing! But I was determined, desperate, and intent on knowing who I was beyond form.

A few months of diligent portal practice, walking home, space consciousness was realized.

I still had an ego, but a big chunk of it dissolved and space was what was left.

I continued to practice the portals for years and a deepening of consciousness occurred, along with many distractions and obstacles.

I do not claim to understand it.

This past year the necessity for “practice” faded. Though I continued nature walks and am still, and present, there is no “practice”. I can look at a flower now and see the stillness in the flower as well as around it, And also feel and know that this stillness is within me, and is who I am.

The peepers have now begun their spring serenade. I took a long nature walk yesterday. I heard the peepers and walked deep in the woods towards their small pond. I walked very close to the edge of a ridge, and then stopped. It occurred to me that the peepers were still peeping. That’s when the game came back to me. “Let’s see how close I can get with the peepers still peeping.”

As it was, I was closer than I had ever had been before. I had to climb up eight feet. I would walk a few steps, stop, then walk. Slow, but not super slow.

By the time I got on top of the ridge and could see this little pond, my head was bursting with the LOUD peeping. It was a torture of sorts! It was so shrill and piercing that it battered my brain!

Details aside, I continued on. My goal was to reach the very edge of the water with the peepers still peeping. Several times the peeping lessened, as if they suspected something there, but right away they would regain their momentum to a crescendo that was truly unbearable!

I reached the water and stood their, sweat dripping down my face, not thinking about my hearing loss to come. Much more than the physical discomfort was the joy of being able to do this.

I then walked away in a normal pace, and still the peepers peeped on.

This little happening to the world would be nothing at all.

But to be able to do this, one would have to very still within, so still that the peepers did not recognizes any one being there. This was not a trick. This was the stillness within me, this was the field of now- and why the peepers felt no threat. As this is the very field they live in.

The recognition that maybe somebody was there came a few times, but the peeping never stopped- which declared that nobody was there.

Nobody but us peepers!
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm

The arrival of turkey vultures is another sign that spring is here. I love these huge, black birds that ride the thermals with such grace and ease. And I love it when they follow the wind currents close to earth, and close to me. Sometimes right above me.. very close.

I call these birds “death birds”, as they live off death. My love for them is their beauty in the sky, and also their love of death. As I love death, the death of the ego. The death of self. The death of that which keeps me from realizing who I am fully.

When I see a turkey vulture, I pretend this is a sign that ego-death is close. Especially when one or more come very close to me. That it is God saying, “soon, very soon dear.” This makes it both thrilling and comforting when I see turkey vultures.

This morning I had a dream.

I was in my back woods, on a path that borders my property and my neighbors open pasture. A barb-wire fence separates the properties.
I often go here, lean on the fence a little and become very still, and awareness is all that is left. It is a favorite spot to die! For when awareness is aware of itself there is no little self then. This is a death of the small self. The small self dies, or dies a little, every time one goes through a portal. (And is why many do not practice the power of now portals- which are the keys to this teaching.)

In the dream I am on this path and I see above me a turkey vulture.
But this turkey vulture is three or four times the size of a regular one. Mammoth! And it is right above me. I just look at him- no thought, no emotion. And he swoops head first and fast down on me. Still I have no thought, no emotion, just watching.

He flies fast and is now horizontal on the path. As he flies his enormous body became streamlined, and also is streamlined on this path. At the same moment that he flies right next to me, my arms become a big circle and he flies through this circle.. his whole body flies through my arm circle.

It feels like he is both going through my arm circle and through me at the same time. The feeling is wonderful! It is a fluttering feeling, very alive, very sacred and awesome.

When he goes through my arm circle and through me, he is not going as fast as he was before. He moves swiftly but not hurried.

When he flies totally through the arm circle he lands about twenty feet away from me, and starts preening his feathers. Very natural.

I look at him and the feeling I get is that to him at this moment I am another turkey vulture. That we are a pair of turkey vultures! That he sees me as himself, as nothing other than himself.
be-lank

Postby dancer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:14 pm

"I look at him and the feeling I get is that to him at this moment I am another turkey vulture. That we are a pair of turkey vultures! That he sees me as himself, as nothing other than himself"

Wow! That's really cool. By the way, I always knew you were a big turkey!

"When I see a turkey vulture, I pretend this is a sign that ego-death is close. Especially when one or more come very close to me. That it is God saying, “soon, very soon dear.” This makes it both thrilling and comforting when I see turkey vultures."

So.... You're identifying with the thought "ego-death is necessary", I seem to be in the same boat.

Interesting thought that.

Especially if you think about it for a just a sec you realize this is a thought generated by ego.

It wants it's own death. Or does it?

Isn't that thought just ego's way of perpetuating itself.

We believe , we identify with the thought that ego is real and needs to die.

Peculiar situation isn't it?
:)
dancer

Postby be-lank » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:41 pm

"So.. You're identifying with the thought "ego-death is necessary"

Have you been smoking some loco weed?
Ego death Is necessary to be fully realized- to know who you really are- beyond form- our purpose here.

"I seem to be in the same boat. Interesting thought that. Especially if you think about it for a just a sec you realize this is a thought generated by ego. It wants it's own death. Or does it? Isn't that thought just ego's way of perpetuating itself. We believe , we identify with the thought that ego is real and needs to die. Peculiar situation isn't it?"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stop watching American Idol!
be-lank

Postby JedEye » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:36 pm

That is interesting. Ego needs to die. or Ego is a thought and doesn`t need to die.
I wonder what other forum members think about it. :lol:
no more words
JedEye

Postby chaz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm

I don't know. :?:
Chaz
chaz

Postby heidi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:51 pm

That is interesting. Ego needs to die. or Ego is a thought and doesn`t need to die.
I wonder what other forum members think about it.

Hi JedEye :)
As with tonsils, adenoids, appendix, and such, they are things we once needed to survive, but due to our evolution, we don't need them anymore. I think the ego happened as an "appendix" of our survival brain - that same brain that causes us to become addicted when it "thinks" it needs something unnecessary to survive. Imagine way back when people, we skinny, hairless weaklings needed to catch the food and keep it from scavengers, we needed to run fast and horde and hang on, and it likely developed as a sort of survival self-talk. Then it got out of control!

A little bit of ego is fine by me, it helps us to strive, but when people are destroying each other and the planet because they aren't conscious of it, that old ego needs to be reigned in. :)
Last edited by heidi on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi Be-lank,
I really enjoyed reading your stories. When I see turkey vultures, it seems almost like a fore-warning that the pain body will soon be very active. But, then again, maybe being present with the pain body, and dissoving the ego amount to the very same thing?

Thanks for sharing such intimate experiences :)
Last edited by summer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
summer

Postby JedEye » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:07 am

For me ego is just a thought or emotion. when there is no thought nor emotion ego can`t be here. It`s just a concept ->ego. Fighting with concept gives it more energy. Where is ego just right now? And if not searched with thought where is it?
JedEye

Postby heidi » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:23 am

I love the sound of those peepers. They just started up the other day. I crack my window at night so I can hear them. I smile when I hear them.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Peepers

Postby chaz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:12 am

Ah I love the sound of the peepers too! Due to fact that I live in the city, I go to my daughters in the country and listen to the peeps! When I stop while in the country, I think I can smell spring??? Of course it may be the horse barn down the lane! but I love it! The daffodils are now blooming outside of my office window!
Chaz
chaz

Postby be-lank » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 am

God Bless you Summer!

"Stillness in Nature" turned into another topic altogether.

My love affair with death has a lot to do with feeling comforted by vultures.
They can be scary images if you want to live.
:D

"But, then again, maybe being present with the pain body, and dissolving the ego amount to the very same thing?"

Yes. It does.

"Thanks for sharing such intimate experiences."

Thanks for noticing.

"Summer breeze makes me feel fine."
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:52 am

For Heidi and Chad,

my friends of spring! :D

Jeepers Creepers Where'd ya get them Peepers?

(It had to be written.)
be-lank

Postby dancer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:07 am

Jeepers Creepers Where'd ya get them Peepers?

(It had to be written.)

I thought a peeper was a fellow named Tom. :lol:

(Peeping Tom, get it?)
:)
dancer

Re: Stillness in Nature

Postby logan65 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:14 am

i'm a country boy aND enjoyed thie thread a lot.
logan65

Next

Return to Personal Experiences