My face screws up into anger meditating - is this normal?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

My face screws up into anger meditating - is this normal?

Postby helloiamhere » Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Sometimes when I go into the present moment I feel relaxed and happy - but other times my face screws up into anger and scorn. Is this normal? What is happening here? Do I have lots of repressed anger? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Am I just making an ego out of this?

Would love any advice or understanding. This is my first post here but I have been following the forum for a while, so thank you for all contributions that have helped me.
helloiamhere

Re: My face screws up into anger meditating - is this normal

Postby Webwanderer » Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 am

Whatever happens on your face while in meditation is likely a reflection on the energy being released. More important than what's on your face, what are you feeling? What are the thoughts arising? It's not a matter of something being right or wrong, it about an exploration of the energy released while meditating.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Sun May 28, 2017 6:21 am

So, what comes to mind is the "resting bitch face", meaning you are good, but your facial expression portrays something different. Is that what you mean?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby helloiamhere » Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 pm

dijmart wrote:So, what comes to mind is the "resting bitch face", meaning you are good, but your facial expression portrays something different. Is that what you mean?

Yes exactly! It is like a "resting bitch face" - when I relax, my face becomes angry. It's quite funny in its own way, haha. Do I just need to stay present with it and let it be? It doesn't seem to subside but then "whatever you resist persists" right?
helloiamhere

Postby helloiamhere » Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Whatever happens on your face while in meditation is likely a reflection on the energy being released. More important than what's on your face, what are you feeling? What are the thoughts arising? It's not a matter of something being right or wrong, it about an exploration of the energy released while meditating.

WW

Hi WW,

Thank you so much for your response - also I have read lots of your responses on this website and they have been very helpful to me, so thank you for that too.

In answer to your question, I feel lots of anger and scorn. A big problem I have is feeling better than other people, or annoyed at them for not being conscious. Which is its own form of unconsciousness, I know, haha. I think I am not very good at expressing anger in life and try to be 'good' but that manifests as privately judging people. I am working on this.

Will this subside, or if there are any meditations or methods for dealing with this? So is it just that I am releasing angry/judgmental energy? It is quite confusing to me, I guess...

Thank you so much again
helloiamhere

Postby Webwanderer » Sun May 28, 2017 4:59 pm

helloiamhere wrote:
I think I am not very good at expressing anger in life and try to be 'good' but that manifests as privately judging people. I am working on this.

Will this subside, or if there are any meditations or methods for dealing with this? So is it just that I am releasing angry/judgmental energy? It is quite confusing to me, I guess...

There are lots of methods. Pick one that you like and work with it. It really boils down to a mindset. Do you recognize that you are responsible for how you view things? It is you who applies the meaning that creates or reinforces the beliefs you hold. No doubt like all of us, much of what you believe, and how you respond to conditions and events, was entrained in your world view from the time of birth. But, to the degree you adopt the mindset that all beliefs you hold about life and people is fair game for review and restructure, to that degree you open the doors for consciousness evolution.

Meditation helps. Both structured and momentary throughout our day. While there may be many forms of meditation, the one that seems most beneficial is one that clears the mind of random thought in favor of clear presence. This can be done most any time there is a moments pause in requirement for your focused attention to the matters at hand.

Don't look to closely for immediate results. Just relax and enjoy the freedom and expansion of a thought free moment. Over time it will enhance alignment with your true nature which is the source of genuine inspiration and peace of being. Enjoy life whenever possible. Appreciation is a trait worth cultivating.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby helloiamhere » Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
helloiamhere wrote:
I think I am not very good at expressing anger in life and try to be 'good' but that manifests as privately judging people. I am working on this.

There are lots of methods. Pick one that you like and work with it. It really boils down to a mindset. Do you recognize that you are responsible for how you view things? It is you who applies the meaning that creates or reinforces the beliefs you hold. No doubt like all of us, much of what you believe, and how you respond to conditions and events, was entrained in your world view from the time of birth. But, to the degree you adopt the mindset that all beliefs you hold about life and people is fair game for review and restructure, to that degree you open the doors for consciousness evolution.

WW

Thank you so much for this WW. I think you have hit upon the thing that I am avoiding, which is an unconscious belief about the world that I have not reassessed or reconsidered in a long time, entrained in me from a very young age. Reading what you have written I 'know' this to be true, or at least part of the long term solution to this reoccuring problem I have. Thanks so much for your help and time, I hugely appreciate it. I will investigate...
helloiamhere

Postby helloiamhere » Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Just a quick update for anyone reading this in the future who has the same problem (I searched the forums for keywords like 'anger' and 'face' so someone else might too).

1) As WW showed, re-examining my beliefs could be (and was) a very helpful way of facing this. Beliefs I had about the world unconsciously created thought patterns, which create emotion, hence the face. Starting to change my beliefs seems to have been a good first step to overcoming this problem as (hopefully) those unconscious thought patterns will begin to fade.

2) I found this extract from The Power of Now very helpful. One thing I was not doing was "knowing that this is the painbody" and was instead trying to 'feel' the anger away by exaggerating it. Anyway here's the extract for anyone who finds it useful:

Let me summarize the process. Focus attention on the feeling inside you. Know that it is the pain-body. Accept that it is there. Don't think about it - don't let the feeling turn into thinking. Don't judge or analyze. Don't make an identity for yourself out of it. Stay present, and continue to be the observer of what is happening inside you. Become aware not only of the emotional pain but also of "the one who observes," the silent watcher. This is the power of the Now, the power of your own conscious presence. Then see what happens.
helloiamhere

Postby meetjoeblack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:16 am

helloiamhere wrote:Sometimes when I go into the present moment I feel relaxed and happy - but other times my face screws up into anger and scorn. Is this normal? What is happening here? Do I have lots of repressed anger? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Am I just making an ego out of this?

Would love any advice or understanding. This is my first post here but I have been following the forum for a while, so thank you for all contributions that have helped me.

I never heard it described this way. Likely, a by product of discontentment; human natures predisposition.
meetjoeblack

Return to General Discussion