Movies with a spiritual message ?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Movies with a spiritual message ?

Postby painBody » Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 pm

What are some movies you've watched that you felt conveyed a spiritual message ? Here are some I've watched and loved ...

The Grey - A wilderness survival thriller starring Liam Neeson and Frank Grillo, set in remote Alaska. As the survivors of a plane crash find themselves being stalked by a pack of wolves, they learn to put aside petty differences and start to question what is most important to them.

The Edge - Similar story to The Grey, also set in Alaska. Starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin.

House of Sand and Fog - A powerful drama about the many facets of the human experience, demonstrating impermanence in the world of form and the value of human life above material wealth. A story that makes you ponder the point of it all. Starring Ben Kingsley, Ron Eldard, and Jennifer Connelly.

Good Will Hunting - You know the story :)

Gran Torino - A touching drama about questioning ones narrow beliefs and putting aside petty differences to look beyond oneself at the greater good. A racist Korean war vet not only learns to get along with his Asian neighbors, but becomes a mentor and ultimately, a savior, to them. Starring Clint Eastwood.
painBody

Re: Movies with a spiritual message ?

Postby eputkonen » Tue May 09, 2017 11:29 pm

The Celestine Prophecy (the books were popular enough to become a movie)
Conversations with God
Holy Man - Eddie Murphy
Joshua - Tony Goldwyn - although the book series is much better
Peaceful Warrior - Nick Nolte is in it
Seven Years in Tibet - Brad Pitt
Contact - Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey
Gandhi - Ben Kingsely
Good Will Hunting - yes, I know the film
The Green Mile - Tom Hanks
K-PAX - Kevin Spacey
Lucy - Scarlett Johansson
Matrix (triliogy) - Keanu Reeves
Phenomenon - John Travolta
Shawshank Redemption - Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman
The Truman Show - Jim Carrey
The Way - Martin Sheen
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged
eputkonen

Postby painBody » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks Eric ! I forgot to include Shawshank Redemption in my own list :D

Interesting that you found something spiritual in The Matrix. I watched it twice but could not figure out the film. Do you mind writing a short summary of the message from The Matrix ? Thanks !

The Green Mile and Contact were great too.
painBody

Postby eputkonen » Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 am

painBody wrote:Interesting that you found something spiritual in The Matrix. I watched it twice but could not figure out the film. Do you mind writing a short summary of the message from The Matrix ? Thanks !

The basic questioning one's own reality...and unconsciously fighting for one's limitations and then overcoming them (there is no spoon).
It is a mind bender and twister.
Furthered with such philosophical questions as...if you could go back, would you still have chosen the red pill? Is ignorance bliss?
The Zen ways of the Oracle are great too...watch out for that vase...and would you still have knocked it over if I didn't say anything?

It was a cool movie.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged
eputkonen

Postby kiki » Wed May 10, 2017 3:58 am

Here's an old thread on this topic

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=202
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby painBody » Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 am

eputkonen wrote:The basic questioning one's own reality...and unconsciously fighting for one's limitations and then overcoming them (there is no spoon).
It is a mind bender and twister.
Furthered with such philosophical questions as...if you could go back, would you still have chosen the red pill? Is ignorance bliss?
The Zen ways of the Oracle are great too...watch out for that vase...and would you still have knocked it over if I didn't say anything?

It was a cool movie.

Thanks ! I watched it twenty years ago, long before my Tolle-hood began. So, I might understand it better if I watch it now.
painBody

Postby painBody » Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 am

kiki wrote:Here's an old thread on this topic

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=202

Cool, thanks !
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 am

Some good movies have already been mentioned, but I've got two more.

A beautiful mind with Russel Crowe. This one won 4 oscars, including best motion picture.

Instinct with Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding.

Both movies are fabulous! Imo
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby helloiamhere » Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I really liked Peaceful Warrior, and all films by Hayao Miyazaki, particularly Spirited Away and The Wind Rises.

I also liked the documentary Minimalism.
helloiamhere

Postby painBody » Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 pm

dijmart wrote:Some good movies have already been mentioned, but I've got two more.

A beautiful mind with Russel Crowe. This one won 4 oscars, including best motion picture.

Thanks, Dijmart ! I've seen (parts of) A Beautiful Mind a 1000 times coz my roommate has it always playing. I find it too painful to watch !
painBody

Postby painBody » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm

helloiamhere wrote:I really liked Peaceful Warrior, and all films by Hayao Miyazaki, particularly Spirited Away and The Wind Rises.

I also liked the documentary Minimalism.

Great, thanks for sharing.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 pm

painBody wrote:
dijmart wrote:Some good movies have already been mentioned, but I've got two more.

Thanks, Dijmart ! I've seen (parts of) A Beautiful Mind a 1000 times coz my roommate has it always playing. I find it too painful to watch !

The ending pulls it all together and is inspiring, I think, but to each their own.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Sun May 28, 2017 10:43 pm

dijmart wrote:
painBody wrote:

The ending pulls it all together and is inspiring, I think, but to each their own.

What do you think was the message conveyed by that movie ? In a few (or one) sentence(s) ?
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm

He dealt with reality vs illusion (schizophrenia) and in the end over came it. He was able to seperate the two although the illusion never went away.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 am

I noticed presence in a couple of movies recently.

Bridge of Spies (Mark Rylance as Rudolf Abel) - A Soviet spy, Rudolf Abel gets caught in the US, and put on trial, with Tom Hanks representing him. With overwhelming bias against him in the judicial system, with everybody zealously wanting to see him punished, his trial finds him guilty, and he is sentenced to life imprisonment. As his sentence is announced by the judge, everyone present clamors, either in jubilation that he was found guilty, or in anger, as they wanted him to be executed. With total chaos all around him, the accused, Abel, hardly breaks a sweat ... he just looks as if he is out on a nature walk. His lawyer, Tom Hanks, with a defeated look on his face, asks Abel, "Don't you ever worry ?" Abel calmly responds, "Would it help ?", and smiles :)

Watching Mark Rylance as Rudolf Abel made an otherwise long and boring movie worth watching ! It is an incredibly powerful spiritual message that no matter how dire the external circumstances, no one can rob you of your sanity.

The Hurt Locker (Jeremy Renner as Sgt. James) - Depicts the experiences of American soldiers in Iraq. Sgt. James is a bomb disposal expert who loves his job and is the best in the bomb disposal business ... for a good reason, as it turns out. Most soldiers seem to be anxious and war-weary ... eager to get back home to their families and away from the bloodshed ... but, not Sgt. James. He seems to be totally at home in a place constantly afflicted with death and misery. His subordinates criticize his "reckless" ways, even physically assaulting him out of anger, but Sgt. James is not concerned with reputation or appearances ... he just wants to do his job and do it well. He walks happily into extremely life-threatening situations with a frolicking laugh. He is entirely one with his job, with the inevitable death, and with his surroundings. No matter how dire the situation, he does not relinquish his sanity. He has a wife and child at home, but he accepts his job as something he needs to do ... perhaps as part of his "outer purpose" ... he doesn't complain, and so it is no surprise, then, that he is far better at his job than anyone else.
painBody

Next

Return to General Discussion