Does being conscious hurt??

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Does being conscious hurt??

Postby Deavil6_6 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:43 am

Hi, all my life I have struggled with social anxiety an depression. After reading the beautiful books by Eckhart I have started to become more conscious. The question I have is this sometimes i feel good other days I feel bad, is this just the pain body playing games with me or is this how awakening feels like?? Much love D
Deavil6_6

Re: Does being conscious hurt??

Postby Webwanderer » Sun May 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Deavil6_6 wrote:Hi, all my life I have struggled with social anxiety an depression. After reading the beautiful books by Eckhart I have started to become more conscious. The question I have is this sometimes i feel good other days I feel bad, is this just the pain body playing games with me or is this how awakening feels like?? Much love D

Welcome to the forum Deavil6_6.

Whatever pain you may feel in the process of awakening is related to the emotional investment you have in the beliefs that are in conflict with that awakening. Emotional pain is a good thing no matter how much we may dislike it. Such painful experience is the clear message that how we are seeing things is not in alignment with how your greater nature perceives things. It offers an opportunity to review and gain clarity on what we believe that brought us the pain and the path to return to the peace and appreciation that lives at the core of our being.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 am

Deavil6_6 wrote:Hi, all my life I have struggled with social anxiety an depression. After reading the beautiful books by Eckhart I have started to become more conscious. The question I have is this sometimes i feel good other days I feel bad, is this just the pain body playing games with me or is this how awakening feels like?? Much love D

You will still experience everyday normal life with its ups and downs to deal with, which means you will still experience pleasure and pain. How you deal with it can and probably will eventually change as you gain more clarity on your true nature.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Onceler » Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Yes it hurts. I've experienced my share of anxiety and depression, perhaps more than my share in my life. What happens when you see who you really are and realize that you are not your life, is that anxiety about your anxiety dimishes. Being depressed about your depression subsides. I call this meta-emotion. The anxiety about the anxiety whips the fear into a frenzy, like a dry wind on a brush fire.....leading to panic attacks and all manner of self recriminations and mental beatings.

The meta emotional state goes away eventually and you're left with simple feelings that come with life. These feelings come and go naturally, like the wind or rain. When we don't make a big deal about emotions, they are simply a rich layer of our lives, sometimes painful sometimes pleasurable. Sometimes these emotional states are indescribable and deeply nuanced in a way that was covered over by meta emotions. I have feelings that harken back to childhood, that can only be described or triggered with nature, or poetry and music.

If it comes and goes, it is a state. If it's a state, it's not you. Find you, who you are, and that is your anchor.....that which can not be harmed or altered in any way. When this is your core, life moves freely through you.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby painBody » Tue May 30, 2017 2:44 am

Onceler wrote:Yes it hurts. I've experienced my share of anxiety and depression, perhaps more than my share in my life. What happens when you see who you really are and realize that you are not your life, is that anxiety about your anxiety dimishes. Being depressed about your depression subsides. I call this meta-emotion. The anxiety about the anxiety whips the fear into a frenzy, like a dry wind on a brush fire.....leading to panic attacks and all manner of self recriminations and mental beatings.

The meta emotional state goes away eventually and you're left with simple feelings that come with life. These feelings come and go naturally, like the wind or rain. When we don't make a big deal about emotions, they are simply a rich layer of our lives, sometimes painful sometimes pleasurable. Sometimes these emotional states are indescribable and deeply nuanced in a way that was covered over by meta emotions. I have feelings that harken back to childhood, that can only be described or triggered with nature, or poetry and music.

If it comes and goes, it is a state. If it's a state, it's not you. Find you, who you are, and that is your anchor.....that which can not be harmed or altered in any way. When this is your core, life moves freely through you.

Excellent post, Sir ! Loved it !

I love the metaphor of the wind and rain ... and it's very true. I also like to think about (transient) clouds and leaves of a tree swaying in the wind (always honoring the changing winds).

Can you share more about how you describe your feelings from childhood ? Do you write poetry/music ? Do you immerse yourself in nature ?

So true, what you said about a state not being you, and about not being harmed/altered in any way. That's a great way of looking at it.

Really great post :)
painBody

Postby Onceler » Tue May 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks, painbody. I'm glad it spoke to you. The emotional thing is new. I have flashes of emotion that I haven't felt in years, so I assume they are from childhood. I went into a forest near my house growing up and I remember just being overwhelmed by the natural setting......almost being in an altered state. Now when I go into a natural setting I can experience some of this. Other than that I get wisps of emotion that is untraceable and so subtle. I call it old joy sometimes, after the title of a movie. Life is nuanced in so many ways and the layers run deep when we are free and clear of negative states. Music and poetry are very powerful to me. How about you?

The statement about states and how we cannot be harmed is borrowed from John Sherman and not my own. That which comes and goes is not you, that which never changes or alters is you. If it is here today and wasn't here yesterday, it's a state.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby painBody » Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 am

Onceler wrote:Thanks, painbody. I'm glad it spoke to you. The emotional thing is new. I have flashes of emotion that I haven't felt in years, so I assume they are from childhood. I went into a forest near my house growing up and I remember just being overwhelmed by the natural setting......almost being in an altered state. Now when I go into a natural setting I can experience some of this. Other than that I get wisps of emotion that is untraceable and so subtle. I call it old joy sometimes, after the title of a movie. Life is nuanced in so many ways and the layers run deep when we are free and clear of negative states. Music and poetry are very powerful to me. How about you?

The statement about states and how we cannot be harmed is borrowed from John Sherman and not my own. That which comes and goes is not you, that which never changes or alters is you. If it is here today and wasn't here yesterday, it's a state.

Thank God for the forests, and thank man for music and poetry (and red wine), right ?

Yes, I cannot live without music. I've also made some (electronic) music using software. I've written a few poems, mostly melancholic ones. Nature brings out the best in me, and I absolutely love camping in a forested area.

John Sherman sounds quite enlightened. I liked your quote about (unconditional) love and more than anything else, your signature quote !

I'm kind of curious which part of the world you're from. Not that I'm trying to categorize/profile you, but I love knowing about places and cultures outside my own (even within the same country), and I'm naturally curious. Answering totally optional, of course :)

I enjoy reading your posts (in general).
painBody

Postby Deavil6_6 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you my friends. Onceler your words have so much truth to them.
Deavil6_6

Postby Onceler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks PB. John Sherman would catagorically deny enlightenment. He is an excon who had an enlightenment experience in prison thru Ganjigi (sp) and then had it collapse. He promotes what he calls a psychological technique called the looking which he says irradicates the fear of life and changes ones relationship with life. It worked for me over a period of several years. I am a completely different person.....yet the same of course. I would encourage you to check out the looking.....it can be done quickly and there is really no practice, no dogma, no beliefs. It's about as bullshit free as things get in this world, yet very powerful. Don't underestimate its simplicity.

I live in the southern part of Pennsylvania in North America near a town called Lancaster. It's quite beautiful and agrarian, but being built over like much of the world. I enjoy your posts as well. Where are you located?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby painBody » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 am

Onceler wrote:Thanks PB. John Sherman would catagorically deny enlightenment. He is an excon who had an enlightenment experience in prison thru Ganjigi (sp) and then had it collapse. He promotes what he calls a psychological technique called the looking which he says irradicates the fear of life and changes ones relationship with life. It worked for me over a period of several years. I am a completely different person.....yet the same of course. I would encourage you to check out the looking.....it can be done quickly and there is really no practice, no dogma, no beliefs. It's about as bullshit free as things get in this world, yet very powerful. Don't underestimate its simplicity.

I live in the southern part of Pennsylvania in North America near a town called Lancaster. It's quite beautiful and agrarian, but being built over like much of the world. I enjoy your posts as well. Where are you located?

Will have to check out "the looking" ! Thanks for the tip. I do find it interesting that hardcore prisoners awaken, yet it makes so much sense because in prison, the only thing one can hold on to is ones sanity; everything else is snatched away.

I'd love to visit PA someday. I'm in Southern CA, quite close to Los Angeles ... a place where one does not even have to be conscious to notice the heights of human unconsciousness because it screams in your face and bites you in the a$$ 24/7 ... it also does have amazing natural beauty - Big Sur, Sequoia National Park (if you ever come visit).
painBody

Postby Deavil6_6 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:28 am

thank you all for your kind words. Onceler you are the best yours words speak a lot of truth to them.
Deavil6_6

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion