Kindness speaks to who you really are!

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Kindness speaks to who you really are!

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:45 am

Have you ever noticed how a kind word or gesture just brightens your day? Or makes you feel alive, when you may have 2 secs before felt dead inside? It's that kindness is in-line with love... Unconditional love can embrace all conditions, all states of mind, but responds the most from a loving, kind heart... without an egoic purpose.

Find a reason in each day to give this type of kindness...
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Kindness speaks to who you really are!

Postby steve Davidson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks for the reminder Dijmart. I would like to add two quotes that speak on this matter too:

"My Religion is very simple. My Religion is Kindness." Dalai Lama

“It's a little embarrassing that after 45 years of research & study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other.” Aldous Huxley
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 am

steve Davidson wrote:Thanks for the reminder Dijmart. I would like to add two quotes that speak on this matter too:

"My Religion is very simple. My Religion is Kindness." Dalai Lama

“It's a little embarrassing that after 45 years of research & study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other.” Aldous Huxley

You were the inspiration for this post. Funny you were the first to respond :wink:

Love the quotes! Btw, I sent you a PM ....
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:09 am

Social media, i am not a big fan of Facebook or twitter or social media sites, but when there is a positive story they share, about someone doing good, something special, a random act of kindness that is touching, i think that is so beautiful, one of the most beautiful things to read, and it usually brings me to tears, reading about how people do something good and at times life changing.

Our actions have more consequences than we think and ripples than we can imagine. Those who have read about NDEs (near death experiences) know that supposedly it is the little things in life that matter the most, like just smiling at a stranger or helping someone carry groceries that is having a hard time. Just taking a moment out to help a stranger, can have countless positive ripples and effects. We never know how much that littlest thing can help another. There is even stories out there that a smile saved a person who was ready to commit suicide, felt like not living anymore and that smile changed their whole life around.

I admit i am one of the most selfish persons out there in the world, and do a lot of things i am not proud of, but occasionally i do something, help someone in some small way and it literally brings me to tears, knowing i made a small difference in someones life. There is no greater joy that helping another.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 am

Random acts of kindness...yes, I think they make the greatest impact.

Some examples are-

Once when I was in a drive thru the car ahead of me paid for my food. I thought about that all day. I couldn't believe it! So, that day I gave the gift shop worker at the hospital I work at $20 and told her to use it for every customer until it was gone.

So now, randomly I pay for the food/drink of the person behind me in the drive thru.

Also, since I work at a hospital I've bought stuff animals cats for patients missing their pets.

4 years ago there was a cute little girl (she was 4) giving her parents a hard time in the lobby. I bought her a mickey mouse stuff animal that cheered her up. It wound up her mom worked at registration. So I saw this little girl maybe 3 times since, in the past 4 years. Her mom says she talks about me, how I bought her a gift for no reason and she calls me the mickey lady...lol...and still has it, even though she's 8 now.

Not trying to toot my own horn just giving ideas, but I will admit it makes it easier for me, since I work at a hospital with a gift shop!
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks for sharing those Dijmart, I liked the spirit of it and are great examples of what we are talking about. Random acts of kindness definitely have positive ripple effects.

My experience has been that sometimes those who are on a particular spiritual path can forget to be human and act on the human level we are describing here, ie - just being kind!

As your title suggests "Kindness speaks to who you really are!" I agree 100 % and it is good to be reminded of this often and to reflect on it.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Btw, my example of someone buying my McDonald's food for me was an example of the ripple effect you spoke of, as in turn I gave $20 to the gift shop that day and have paid for other people's food now (the car behind me) several times.

As far as FB and other social media, sure a lot of it is junk or venting, but like you said sometimes you see or hear about great acts of kindness. I remember a few videos of people giving food, clothing, ect to the homeless people on subways and on the streets. They always look shocked, since most people usually ignore them, which is sad.

As far as spiritual people forgetting or not caring about being kind. Yes, that's true sometimes. I think that happens the most when people are taking on the position of "the witness" only and not connecting like you said with their human-ness. If what your seeking doesn't effect the life of the jiva (person) in a positive way, on some level, then what's the point?
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:12 am

This is not a spiritual question, but one out of curiosity on the practical level. I never have offered to buy anyones food behind me in the drive thru. I was curious, how do the workers respond when you say to them, I would like to pay for the person behind me food? Are they in shock? Or do they smile and say that is very nice and thoughtful?
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 pm

steve Davidson wrote:This is not a spiritual question, but one out of curiosity on the practical level. I never have offered to buy anyones food behind me in the drive thru. I was curious, how do the workers respond when you say to them, I would like to pay for the person behind me food? Are they in shock? Or do they smile and say that is very nice and thoughtful?

I've only done it at (2) different Mcdonalds I frequent. The first time I did it, I said "this might be strange, but I want to pay for the car behind me". She said, "no, not strange, we"ve seen other people do it". Since then, I just say I want to pay for the car behind me and leave it at that.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Every act can be done with kindness. Every feeling can be felt with kindness, even anger or antipathy.

Universal unconditional kindness is a portal to experiencing the sacred in everything.

Just my take, not lecturing ... :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Universal unconditional kindness is a portal to experiencing the sacred in everything.

Nice! Btw, I didn't think you were lecturing!
Last edited by dijmart on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks Dij for answering my silly questions. Here is a article about a football player that anonymously pays for someones dinner at a restaurant:

The restaurant game before an away game is one of Kurt Warner’s favorites, a fringe benefit of being a well-paid football player that never gets old. At dinner, Warner and his wife, Brenda, will sit back and watch as one or more of their seven children scan the dining area like a quarterback going through his progressions on the field. Once they target a table, Warner, the Arizona Cardinals’ quarterback, quietly adds that dinner tab to his own. At a steakhouse here last Saturday, a family of four received a free meal without knowing the identity of their benefactor. The Warners cooked up the idea many years ago, after their food-stamp-cashing days were behind them and Warner had become the toast of St. Louis by leading the Rams to victory in the 2000 Super Bowl. They thought it would be a playful way of instilling in their children the joy of giving. “We want our kids to grow up knowing that because of football we are so blessed,” Warner said. He added: “We never want them to lose sight of what it’s really about. Our circumstances are not the most important thing. It’s what we do with those circumstances.”
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:30 pm

I like that story!!! That's great!

Here's a short video I think you all would like.

https://youtu.be/rZ74x6lSUHI
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Wow, great video, thanks for sharing it. I did not know about some of this on youtube, very interesting, if you look to the right there are other links to videos similar like tipping drive thru workers $100, paying for someones groceries, etc Wow, what a great thing this is, all these different ways and ideas to do random acts of kindness.

I just wanted to say though, as a disclaimer, lol, that i am not pushing for anyone to have to do these things, especially if you dont have the money. As the Kurt Warner story i shared showed, he came from humble beginnings and it was when he became successful and had the money, he was very generous and did these acts of kindness. If you dont have the money, there are other ways to do kind acts, like holding a door open for someone, helping someone carry groceries or something heavy for them, just smiling at someone or saying a kind word.

In the end, whether we give monetarily to help another, or just give to another via our words or presence, Kindness speaks to who you really are.
steve Davidson

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 pm

One of the all time great movies on the subject - Pay it Forward.

WW
Webwanderer

Next

Return to General Discussion