Awakening Through Mindfulness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Awakening Through Mindfulness

Postby Onceler » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:03 am

I think you need to more thoroughly operationalize what enlightenment is.....it's a little fuzzy. I think you will miss many people who are self actualized, but don't meet your criteria.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I looked up Eben Alexander... It looks like a lot of other neuroscientists have criticized his work as unscientific.

It's revealing that you would go to his critics before you went to Alexander himself (did you go to the link I gave you?) to learn of his experience. That speaks loudly of defending a debate position rather than a fair exploration of possibilities. Of course there are experts in the field that support his statement of events. Did you happen to catch them?

As to your concern over how one could see without the brain, one need only go to the actually experiencers themselves for insight. Consistent reports are that vision is often 360 degrees with colors more vibrant and varied than ever they had seen in human life. The sound of music and voices is far clearer and more beautiful than anything that ever came through their ears. Smells likewise are more beautiful and vibrant without overpowering than anything experienced through the human nostrils. That you would ask how it could be done without a physical brain suggests a broadening of consideration might be useful.

Do with this what you will, but for me there comes a time when debates are of little value, especially when exploration is far more productive and is my preference.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby borris83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm

I guess I don't have enough study on the topic to go further with the discussion. I only have a slight interest, to be honest, so I won't research it. All the best trying to prove it though. I was just saying my opinion and you know what they say about opinions! :mrgreen:

Thanks Djmart

I think you need to more thoroughly operationalize what enlightenment is.....it's a little fuzzy. I think you will miss many people who are self actualized, but don't meet your criteria.

Yes Onceler.. I think someone will come up with an operational definition soon.

It's revealing that you would go to his critics before you went to Alexander himself (did you go to the link I gave you?) to learn of his experience. That speaks loudly of defending a debate position rather than a fair exploration of possibilities. Of course there are experts in the field that support his statement of events. Did you happen to catch them?

As to your concern over how one could see without the brain, one need only go to the actually experiencers themselves for insight. Consistent reports are that vision is often 360 degrees with colors more vibrant and varied than ever they had seen in human life. The sound of music and voices is far clearer and more beautiful than anything that ever came through their ears. Smells likewise are more beautiful and vibrant without overpowering than anything experienced through the human nostrils. That you would ask how it could be done without a physical brain suggests a broadening of consideration might be useful.

Do with this what you will, but for me there comes a time when debates are of little value, especially when exploration is far more productive and is my preference.

WW

I will keep an open mind and read further on this topic...
borris83

Previous

Return to General Discussion