The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Sighclone

Re: The Age of Awakening

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:06 am

Dear opiaterehab -

Welcome to the forum. However, you have just used up your one and only advertisement. Generally not allowed. This is not to say that the program is not worthwhile....just that we don't allow ads.

Check for other Rules, here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... f=9&t=2051

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm so late to this thread but wanted to say what an excellent interview this is and thanks so much to whoever posted it. ET is an incredibly wise teacher. I particularly like these thoughts of his:

But beware of excessive attachment to these things and the constant need for more, which is not a true need but a mind-created one. One needs to see when the point has been reached where that which is helpful, that which puts you in touch with the truth of who you are, has served its purpose. Buddha had the beautiful analogy of the "raft crossing the river" - once you have crossed the river, you don't carry the raft around with you. As long as you need the raft, the teaching is there.

This is absolutely true and wise, yet I find it is rarely stated even in spiritual literature. It is the nature of the mind to want more and more, to 'feed off' this newfound state of being, even make an identity out of it. The mind is so sneaky in this way. I would imagine that many spiritual teachers naturally delight in getting people to read/listen to their work, so are less likely to make the point that we need to go beyond the teachings when they've served their purpose. In this sense, ET is the real genuine deal in my opinion.

I've had a lot of counselling in the past and it has helped me so much (I believe there is a time and a place for mind based therapies such as counselling depending on where a person is at) but I did indeed reach a time when I realised I was holding onto the counselling even though I was way past my need for it. I was afraid to let it go for many reasons, the obvious being not wanting to let go of the counsellor and go out on the world on my own. But in time I realised I had internalised the counsellor so really I carried her with me. Obviously my mind wanted her, the form of her, but in essence, there was no separation.

The same is true for spiritual teachings. We crave their form and for a while we need them to signpost our own inner being. We may be lost in thoughts and emotions and deeply unconscious, so such teachings help us lead our self enquiry. But one day we shed the 'skin' of these teachings and we are free, just as we always were but didn't know it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Welcome Alicia -

In my opinion, any teacher who does not, early in his or her lecture or book, clarify that the real teacher is within the student, and not standing on the podium is a fraud. Authentic teachers constantly send students back into themselves, on an "inner hike" if you will. Constant refinement and nudges from teachers is fine, but the instruction trajectory should be away from the teacher.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce